Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I mentioned in a thread that my first motorcycle was an old Sears Allstate by Puch and got a lot of interesting reponse. After reading some of the remarks, I think mine was a 175, the year I am uncertain of, it was well used when I got it in 1960. It must have been a mid 1950's model. It was a b***h to keep running. Can I say that word, Wingnut?? But it was on that old Allstate that I learned how to go around a corner without running off in the ditch, to NOT hit the FRONT brake only, when moving at any speed (ouch), and that girls LOVE motorcycles (and guys who ride 'em!!

So, what was your first bike, and what did you learn??? JP

·
Premium Member
9,409 Posts
imported post

My first bike was a kawasaki 450, not sure of the year but really old and beat up when I got it.. My dad gave it to me when he got tired of riding:shock: I learned alot from some road rash... I was 17-18 at the time

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
imported post

My first bike back in '67 when I was a16 year old was a 1965 Honda S65. Great little bike, never let me down.

Regards to all,

John S.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

My first two wheeler with power was a 1949(?) Cushman I got in 1956. I rode that for a year until I got a basket case Triumph 650. That was more of a mechanic's school than a ride. With help from a couple old guys (in their 40s:rollingeyes:) I got it running, sort of and rode it for a couple years. Rode a neighbor's Mustang and got a couple chances to ride a Powell. For any of you that don't remember these were kind of halfway between scooters and motorcycles. They seem to be resurrecting the type with the new high-power scooters.

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

First was a 1949 165cc Harley 2 stroke! Anyone ever see one of them, lately. I sure haven't. Had rubber band front suspension, with no dampening. What a rig. Course, I was only about 12. That was about 1958.

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

Actually we use to put small "Briggs& Stratton" engines and "washing machine pulley's" on our Bicycles if that counts? I use to steal my brothers "Sears" Moped when I was a kid but my first bike was a "Honda 90", I was way too cool !:goofygrin:

By the way ," speedbird" I had a 82 Maxim afetr my CB 750 , was a good bike, handled like a sport bike!

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

I think it had a later engine, now that I think about it. Like a 55, or therabouts. Was owned by a rich fat-cat's kidat one time.

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
imported post

My first 2 wheeler with a "motor" was a red Mattel bicycle with a V-RROOM motor. The bike was red, designed something like a motorcycle. Even had a "tank" with a door on the top to keep whatever in. The "motor" was battery powered, in the normal motorcycle place, though my buddy had one that cranked up attached to the handlebars of his bike. The rest of the neighborhood had to make do with playing cards and clothespins.

The first 2 wheeler with a working gas motor came when I was about 8 - a Rupp mini-bike. We lived in a housing development and I had plenty of dirt hills and basement excavations to ride on. Going up the dirtpiles was hard on the poor thing- the motor was OK, but I learned how to rebuild a centrifugal clutch with my eyes closed.

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
imported post

My first 2 wheeler was a Harley 250 Sprint. I don't remember what the year model was but I purchased in 1967 and it was made in Italy I think. . It didn't run very good and I broke 3 starter springs from kick starting so many times. I worked on it much more than I rode it. The springs cost $10.00 even back then. I lucked up and sold it for the same price I paid for it.($50.00):jumper::jumper:

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
imported post

First "motorcycle" in my mind any waywas a homemade briggs and stratton powered mini bike. I blew that one up after about 3 months of ridding at full throttle every where I went. I was 14 and amonth into my first real summer job when I got my first "big" pay check and 1970 honda 350 twin. That bike hauled me all over the country. I wish I had the endurance now that I did then. When I was 17 I upgraded to a 71 honda 750-4 that was rebuilt and bored to 836by a flat track buddy of my brother in law. This bike could literally fly. When I was young dumb and immortal the 750 was the fastest thing on wheels in western Kansas. The guy I got it from said that he had it up to 160 on the track but I know that with me on it you could hear the motor zing out every time you came over a small rise in the road at any thing over 130. Also since it had no wind shield your cheeks would be draging some where back by your ears. By this time I was hooked and Iwas starting what was to becomethe motorcycle bone yard in my back yard. Any time some bodies bike went down it was donated to the back yard and if any body needed a part then they could come pull it. I had triumphs and hodakas, dirtbikes and street bikes. Often when winter rolled around and the weather got to rough I would buy some thing with 4 wheels but you could bet thatit was going to get traded for a two wheeler at the first thaw.

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
imported post

My first was a 1962 Honda Sport 50. Man was it pretty. White with a chrome pipe coming up high. I bought it brand new to run a paper route in West Texas.

Second was a Suzuki 350 of some sort. Don't remember the model(the 60s were tough on me). Fast as lightening and got me hurt real bad.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

stretrod48 wrote:
My first 2 wheeler was a Harley 250 Sprint. I don't remember what the year model was but I purchased in 1967 and it was made in Italy I think. . It didn't run very good and I broke 3 starter springs from kick starting so many times. I worked on it much more than I rode it. The springs cost $10.00 even back then. I lucked up and sold it for the same price I paid for it.($50.00):jumper::jumper:
Yep, I had a Italiano Harley in the early 70s. It was kind of cheaply built, I remember a lot of stamped parts, especially the brakes. Harley must have been desperate to put their name on the damn thing. Probably trying to find some way into the small bike market. That was around the time of the AMC disaster.

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
imported post

My first bike I had access to was a Honda ST90 farm bike. Step thru and auto clutch. I was 8 years old.

When i turned 15 and was legel to drive I got a 1981 Honda MT50 wasp. I had saved and bought it brand new, boy it was cool. Would take it down to the stop banks by the river and could jump that thing further than the guys on XR500's.

I think if I could find one now I would get it for my boy.

Andrew

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Suzuki 125, Singapore, for eight hours, 1974. Got stopped by the police at 2am and banned, for a year, for riding with no valid licence, no insurance, no MOT certificate, and riding with a passenger. Started in ernest with a HondaCJ250T a year later ,on my return to UK.

Pete

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
imported post

Sears Moped 50cc two speed transmission. Top speed 31-32. I think mine was a 61? but not sure. I cobbled it together from two wrecks, the frame was bent, (And broken), and I had to rebend it sort of. We laid it over a log and jumped up an down on it. It had an elastic quality to it as things would shift around as you rode. But it got me around until I got the Hodaka Wombat.

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

First real motorcycle that I owned, all mine, was a brand new Kawasaki KZ650. '79 model. First bike I got to ride for 3 months, even though it wasn't mine, a '75 Kawasaki 900Z1. A beast of a bike. I had my share of little dirt bikes, like a Kawasaki 90, mini bikes, etc..

Raymond

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
imported post

My first ride was back when I was 15 and it wasa 1982Nigarelli moped. Thought it was the greatest thing till the little brother borrowed parts for his moped and I couldn't get it started again. Knew back then I was going to ride some day. At 35, first big bike for me was the 1986 250 Rebel that Pat and Ibrought back to life from a pile ofparts and a Gatorade bottle used for a gas tank. It was in sad shape but good place to start We got her back going and I was hooked for sure on riding. This was five years ago and each year I have gotten a little bigger with the bikes. We still have the 250 for the next rider to learn plus the full garage as you guys know. But I thiink I'll stop trying different bike now since I can ride my rig and ride along side with Patrick.:DYeah this is his lady Val , thought I needed to to put my first rides in here too.:action:

·
Best looking member
3,107 Posts
imported post

My first baby was a 1976 Honda 750 K6. My brother taught me how to drive on it, and I have never looked back since.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.