Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

First real trip on our 1984 gl1200

2K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  Fastymz 
#1 ·
We are leaving late next week on a 8 day 1800 mile trip. I have checked, changed, adjusted. cleaned about everything I can think of but I'm open to more suggestions.
So far I have cleaned almost every plug or connector I can find, replaced any and all damaged wires.
New spark plug, timing belts, oil, brake pads and bled the brakes, fuel lines and filter, lubed the choke and throttle cables, filled drive shaft fluid and all other fluids, replaced all the light bulbs and cleaned sockets, tires are in excellent shape and don't loose any psi.
What else would you do before a longer trip. I have had the bike on many 200-300 trips without any issues.

#4 ·
Checks to make

I always carry a small 12v air pump a tire pressure gauge and a tire plug kit, saved my day twice. Hows the suspension pressure for the roads your riding and the weight you'll have. Last tell someone,family or friend your route its insurance, at least someone knows where you are.
Have a good trip.:):)

#7 ·
You probably have about everything covered now.
Some of us worry more than others so carry a few extra parts just in case.
Like my 2K ride home from CA. across all the deserts and such, never know what I might need?
So I just took an extra 1500 with me. LOL

Attachments

#8 ·
I generally carry some basic tools just in case, ratchet, sockets, couple of wrenches, screw drivers, and of course 12v air compressor and tire plugs.
Never really needed any of it on my big trips, but nice to have if I do need it sometime.

The 12V compressor I do use often though. I check my tires allot, and when I need a few PSI I am way to cheap to pay $0.75 or $1 at a gas station when I can use my own for free!

#9 ·
Most important things to carry nowadays is a credit card and cell phone and tow insurance in case of breakdown. The OEM tool kit, a tire gauge, and a tire plugs was about it for me when riding from on a 5,000 mile round trip to GA or to the next town. I don't carry a lot of spar parts because what ever spare part you carry won't be the one you might need. Main thing is to carry clothes that will keep you warm, cool, and dry no matter what time of the year. Remember you're never all that far from civilization down here in the lower 48.

#11 ·
Made it home just fine, been crazy busy with work. Trip was amazing bike did an awesome job of handling all kinds of weather . Averaged 50mpg peaked at 55 mpg highways speeds were at ,70-85mph bike is amazing. Its an old high milage bike and it shows but it made it. Not sure how many more long trips in left in her? I'll post pictures soon.

#13 ·
Ron,

Glad you made your trip and returned with no issues.

If I had seen your post before you left I would have mentioned this GL1200 issue to you.

Have you checked the infamous "3 Yellow Wires" at the white connector just to the left of the battery.

Those are your stator wires. The GL1200's are known for burning those wires at that connector. Once that happens the connector melts, the resistance in the wires raises, and eventually the stator in your alternator burns out. That you don't want on a long trip! You'll be stuck!

Most everyone solves this issue on their GL1200 by completely removing the connector and hard soldering the 3 yellow wires together at that spot.

If your bike has already had this done, there will be no connector there, but instead soldered wires. If yours hasn't had that done yet, I would do definitely do it. If the stator dies, you have to remove the engine from the bike to replace/repair the alternator.

Glad you had a good ride!

#15 ·
There are a lot of things that would be impractical to try and fix out on the road, but I would definitely carry anything and everything to fix flats. Flats are one thing I KNOW I am going to have.

You didn't mention it, but if you have not had this bike very long, I would definitely tear the rear drive apart and inspect all the splines, clean everything, and coat all the splines with moly paste. Many final drives have bitten the dust because this was not done. Also check the right rear wheel bearing for tightness. I did the final drive before even getting started on the fuel injection. I wound up having to replace the rear wheel. I got really lucky on that one. Had I found the final drive all chewed up, I wouldn't have gone any farther.

#22 ·
Thanks for the great pics!
We have to run west this summer to Maple Falls, but will not get the rest of t he way to the coast.

That last shot of the high dessert is the kind of country that doesn't enthuse me in the car, but it doesn't seem so bad on two wheels to us.

#23 ·
I agree that there are many roads that are boring in car, where on bike about any ride is a good ride. I've been riding along time and this is my first ever touring bike I feel its a whole new world now. :) I do miss the acceleration of the my sport bikes but I love the comfort, weight and feel of the Goldwing. I trying to figure out a way to buy a 1800 model or a 1500 Valkyrie next. The only thing stopping me is money

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.