Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning was the first time that I have started the bike. It took some time to to start, then noticed choke wont stay closed. Bike ran rough while cold and got alittle better. Really enjoyed riding it, but it was very sluggish from a stop and took a lot of rpms to get it to go kind of boggs down at low rpm.
Second issue is its not charging, PO said he replaced the alternator a few back and hasnt had an issue since. But at ilde its at 11.7v and after about a 5min it ran down to 10.5v. Had to recharge battery to start it again.
I disconected all of the add on's I could find. Checked battery grond cable. All good, so now whats the next step or items to check? Thanks
I dont know why PO'S just cant be honest?

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I dont know why PO'S just cant be honest?
I'll leave the diagnosis to the Gurus on the site but it does sound like you may be in for a stator change or a Poor Boy conversion. And that would explain why the PO of a 1200 will not be honest. Not many buyers would consider a bike that needs a new stator (engine removal required) or Poor Boy conversion (inconvenient project) due to the time/cost involved.

I am riding my 5th Goldwing and bought each one used. I learned very quickly that the best thing to do is get the PO into a nice long conversation about how long they've owned the bike, how many miles, where they've traveled, do they travel solo or two up or in groups. Just get them talking. They'll soon be telling you all about the bike and you'll get a sense of whether the sale is a sorrowful event or if they can't wait to unload the lemon.

Hope I'm wrong and your problem is just a battery or regulator or some other more minor ailment.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I probed all three yellow wires from stator, all are at .01 volts. With the battery at 12.8 volts and bike running after about 10mins battery volts drop down to low 12's. After a short ride at idle its making 11.5 volts. Where is the regulator on my 84 ?
Thanks for the help, BTW I did have a long coversation with the PO he has had the bike for over 12 years. Second onwer claims he changed the stator while back even showed me where the yellow had been spliced back together.
Dang it ! No money and no ride I guess we get had!

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have done some reading on both the stator replacement and change over to an alternator. I can get a new stator for $129 what other parts will I need to change it out? I'm trying to so which way is more cost effective changing it or doing the poorboy conversion? Having a hotrod back ground and a garage and tools. I think I can do either myself? But I'm still a novice mechanic.

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
I have done some reading on both the stator replacement and change over to an alternator. I can get a new stator for $129 what other parts will I need to change it out? I'm trying to so which way is more cost effective changing it or doing the poorboy conversion? Having a hotrod back ground and a garage and tools. I think I can do either myself? But I'm still a novice mechanic.
With a mechanic's background, you may be able to remove the engine and replace the stator with no major complications. However, I've heard of folks that have replaced a stator and then had to replace it again in one or two years.

I did the Poorboy conversion on my '85 Interstate and have never regretted it. I can run all the lights/accessories I want and if it ever needs replacing, it can be done in less than an hour.

Best wishes in whichever route you choose.

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
do the poorboy conversion,you'll never regret the slightly larger cost of the conversion(approx 400) but makes the electrical system pretty much bulletproof and is definitely easier than pulling the engine assembly for a stator changeout
hopefully that's not all the PO forgot to tell you,but just rememeber you bought a 28 year old bike

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks and I'm sorry for all the questions. I also noticed that my bike doesnt have a regulator ? the plug is there but its not plug into to anything nor is there anything to plug it in to? Do all stators require a regulator? if so would the bike run without one? and that wouldnt effect the out of the three yellow wires would it?

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Do you have the repair manual for your bike?

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
If you are pricing cheap fleebay parts you will be in for a sore disappointment with them.
Especially if you buy anything from saber cycle. Be forewarned.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Thanks and I'm sorry for all the questions. I also noticed that my bike doesnt have a regulator ? the plug is there but its not plug into to anything nor is there anything to plug it in to? Do all stators require a regulator? if so would the bike run without one? and that wouldnt effect the out of the three yellow wires would it?
Yes, the bike will run as long as the battery holds up. when you checked the three yellow wires to each other I'll assume you were measuring ac voltage. you can check the stator for shorts to ground - you will not have low resistance to ground but will have low resistance from phase to phase -

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, the bike will run as long as the battery holds up. when you checked the three yellow wires to each other I'll assume you were measuring ac voltage. you can check the stator for shorts to ground - you will not have low resistance to ground but will have low resistance from phase to phase -
Sorry now thats over my head.
I stuck the red probe into one yellow wire at time looking for voltage and the black wire to a ground. but all had zero or .01.
I also tested each wire for voltage at the plug for the resitor.
Did I check it wrong? I watched a video By Steve on youtube on how to check the stator said with bike running each wire should have 4 volts

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
I watched a video By Steve on youtube on how to check the stator said with bike running each wire should have 4 volts
That test is for the stator output through a working regulator but since you're missing the regulator it becomes meaningless.

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
You stated that the bike runs poorly and is sluggish at takeoff. I think that you should get the bike running better before trying to diagnose charging problem. Possibly if you fix the running problem the charging problem may go away.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You stated that the bike runs poorly and is sluggish at takeoff. I think that you should get the bike running better before trying to diagnose charging problem. Possibly if you fix the running problem the charging problem may go away.
It idles good just slugish from a stop like bad gas, carbs gummed or? But the if it doesnt charge now the carbs are going to make it charge any better. The volt out put don't go up with rpm increase.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That test is for the stator output through a working regulator but since you're missing the regulator it becomes meaningless.
The test was for stator out put before the regulator.

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
regulator is under the shelter faux tank on the top of the frame on the left side.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
regulator is under the shelter faux tank on the top of the frame on the left side.
I took it all apart it's not there? the bracket and bolts are there, the plug is there but no regulator? So the PO got the best of me on this one. :lash:

1 - 20 of 78 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.