Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Looks like I'm gonna add a 1986 Goldwing Interstate (is this the correct way to list it?) to my stable! Went for a long test drive yesterday afternoon and can find nothing major wrong with it other than a warped right front brake rotor.

I had never driven a 'Wing before and was surprised how much warm air was coming around my legs in traffic. The temp gauge never indicated greater than 1/3 and everything sounded normal. Nothing obstructing the radiator or airflow and all the plastic seemed to be there but what do I know! :?
Is this normal behavior?

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
imported post

what were your previous bikes.
how big was the engine. A vtwin has cooling fins that direct the air rearward for cooling. These wing engines come out the sides and since water cooled need no fins.
thats is a very educated quess.
Or may a half educated guess.

·
Banned
7,545 Posts
imported post

I have had Harley riders ask me did I stay warm in the winter, not really but compared to them yes, they also say that the plastic tank/shroud on a wing is much warmer than a steel tank full of gas between your legs in winter weather..
Everything sounds normal on your bike to me.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
imported post

I ride the Wing in the winter and the MotoGuzzi in the summer, for the reasons discussed.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

4evermetric wrote:
I ride the Wing in the winter and the MotoGuzzi in the summer, for the reasons discussed.
Ah, I see. I thought of that, too.

Yes, My Guzzi Stone is much cooler.

GSMacLean mentioned "air wings"? Do they go down low to redirect the airflow?

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
imported post

edpare wrote:
They go right on the fairing, about knee-height, and redirect cool air onto the rider. They made a huge difference on my GL1100. In winter, you can turn them so they keep the warm air on you and redirect the cold away from you. I can't imagine riding my bike without them, they make that much of a difference.

Here's some on eBay.

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
imported post

GSMacLean wrote:
edpare wrote:
They go right on the fairing, about knee-height, and redirect cool air onto the rider. They made a huge difference on my GL1100. In winter, you can turn them so they keep the warm air on you and redirect the cold away from you. I can't imagine riding my bike without them, they make that much of a difference.

Here's some on eBay.

I'll second and third that one GSMaclean. Of the extras that's on mine, I wouldn't do away with the wind wings either. It really does make the difference.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.