Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I took the Wing out for my first ride. It was sunny and 10 degrees Celcius on Sunday morning so I did a 60 km loop through an area with little or no traffic. I got my license on a little Honda 120 and I had to get over my fear of the 1200 Goldwing. I didn't want to stew about it all winter. I managed to make it around the loop no problem at all. Pulled back into the gravel driveway, a little relieved to be back and a little disappointed that the ride was over. Everyone was out working around the house so I coasted to a stop, beeping the horn, pulled the front brake and forgot to pull the clutch handle. It started to buck, I put my feet down and locked the front wheel. Down she went. How embarrasing! I had enough sense to step away from the bike and it stopped when it hit the highway pegs. No damage, just a bruised ego.

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

:waving::waving::waving:Welcome to the world of goldwings,you are not alone ,I think we have all dropped a wing at some stage ,,But at least you were notinjured and the bike was ok ,,

It is no harm that these things happen to remind us of the weight of the bike and that they have to be treated with respect ,,,,Safe driving...it must be getting really cold up there now?:snowman::snowman::snowman: cheers Ciaran

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

it must be getting really cold up there now?
We had a little warm spell of a few days. Its back to the cold weather tonight.

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Hey mjpliv, :waving: This mishap that you had is no big deal or indeed an embarressment. :coollep:As wexman stated we all have our mishaps. :crying:The important thing is that you were not injured. :clapper:The one little piece of advice i would give is ;)just be extremely careful on loose gravel. :crying:The 1200 wing is quite difficult to handle when moving slowly and more so when the surface is loose. :leprechaun:I hope you have many safe miles around Halifax and further afield. :grinner:

:santahat: :18red: :santahat:

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

I am storing the bike at a friends house (they have a large garage) but they live at the end of a very long gravel driveway. It made for some tense moments pulling off the paved road into the gravel because I had no idea what to expect. I made it up the 500 meter driveway but dumped it right at their doorstep. :gunhead:

In the spring (it is stored for the next 3-4 months) I am going to take the bike to a large (empty) parking lot and work on my low speed stuff because the Wing responds nothing like the little 120 I learned on. I also want to try some emergency stops and simulated stop&go traffic so that I know what to expect when the time comes that I am dealing with the real thing.I figure this is the prudent approach. I don't have any problems at speed (once I convinced myself to stop looking at objects I was trying to avoid - center lines, potholes, oncoming traffic, etc.) but lack any confidence at slow speeds.

A question - my instructor(s) told us it does not hurt a motorcycle clutch to ride the friction point. Is this all motorcycles or just the smaller ones? One of our driving excercises was to control the speed of the bike using the clutch (at higher RPM's) for slow speed manouvering.

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

mjpliv wrote:

A question - my instructor(s) told us it does not hurt a motorcycle clutch to ride the friction point. Is this all motorcycles or just the smaller ones? One of our driving excercises was to control the speed of the bike using the clutch (at higher RPM's) for slow speed manouvering.

Thats correct mjpliv, :clapper:When slow riding you must use the clutch and the brakes to help control the bike. :coollep:I meant to mention in my last post to take your wing to a quite car park and practice the slow drive. :leprechaun: The figure eight is the most common manoeuvre done as slow as possible. :crying:Another one is the common circle, :grinner:try and complete the circle without moving the handlebars after you commence, :goofygrin:the smaller the circle the more difficult the manoeuvre :jumper:This exercisecan be done in opposite directions. :bat:

:santahat: :18red: :santahat:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.