Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Friday was a beautiful day, in the 50s, clear sky, the first day like it this year. The sweepers have finally gotten most of the road clear of sand, and it's time to go!

I picked up my daughter from school and took her home. I had to head out to the post for a Guard Drill weekend, and we were having a sergeants meeting friday evening, so I had to get there soon. But it was too good of a day to miss!

Hooked the battery up to the charger for a good top-off and started gathering my gear, that has been looking rather forlorn over the last 2 1/2 months. Cranked the starter, and she turned over very nice, but wouldn't quite catch. As I ran the battery down, I realized that I had forgotten to turn the fuel on. Lesson #1, check your fuel.

Re-hooked to the charger, spent a little time wiping off dust and cat foot-prints from the seat and chrome. This time, she caught, and chugged a bit, evening out to a nice rumble. I let her warm up good while I geared up, then hopped on and took off.

Before I hit the end of my neighborhood, I saw 6 cars. In 3, people were on cell phones, in 1, a lady was yelling at a man (who probably wished he was riding), and 2 were actually texting instead of watching the road! Lesson #2, people are idiots, and they really are out to clobber you.

Took the exit on to the freeway, and when I got on, I was so happy! I accelerated slowly and evenly, until I met the flow of traffic.

No, not really.

I cracked the throttle so hard I almost broke my wrist! The old girl snorted once, as if to say "Oh yeah? Well, hang on!" We leapt into traffic, both of us with huge grins, though don't ask me where a motorcycle grins, I just know she was!

It was a nice 20-min ride to the military base, and coming on post I had a terrible thought: My ID was in my shirt pocket, under a reflective vest which covered my armored jacket, which I have trouble unzipping with winter gloves on. So, I stopped by the gate guard and proceeded to disrobe - gloves, vest, jacket - to dig for my ID card. The gate guard says 'first ride in a while, huh?' 'How'd you know?' 'I did the same thing yesterday - forgot to put the ID in an outside pocket.' Lesson #3, listen to the gate guard!

We had a boring and uneventful meeting, and I saddled up to go home. Upon arriving home, my wonderful wife remarks at how happy I look - not the usual after a friday evening briefing. Lesson #4, don't wait so long to ride next time!

I was on duty all weekend, so I didn't get to ride, but I'm off on Monday, and I don't even care that the weatherman is predicting rain!

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,142 Posts
imported post

Rain?

Just a different reason to go riding :D

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

Nice write up there Sargent, good lessons to keep in mind, but don't think I'll worry about posts anymore, I'm getting old, been there done that. Know how you feel about the riding, we predict rain here tomorrow as well (Monday). Oh, nice talking with a solider, a salute of respect to you.:action:

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

The weather guys are usually miss their timing here. It's raining now, so maybe it'll clear up by morning :)

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,142 Posts
imported post

Oh, I forgot to say "Thank you" for being a soldier for our country.

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

ROAD SWEEPERS :shock::shock::shock::shock: You have sweepers??????????? Lucky dog,,,,,,,,

We will have marbles on the roads here till April. The main roads will clear sooner because of more traffic.

Anyway,,, don't mean to get off track,,, nice write up, and the rain will clean the roads even more,,,,,,, so enjoy :action:

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Winger77, the rain did clear the roads a bit more, but the errands I had to do today wouldn't allow me to ride :(

John, it's my honor.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.