Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After changing the Timing belts, 3 Airfilters, coolant and oil/filter I took a 400 mile road trip. I replaced the K&N airfilter with an OEM type filter and two things happened
1) My fuel milage increased by 2MPG
2) The bike runs warmer.

Before on a road trip, simular conditions, I would get about 33MPG now I get 35MPG. Also in this type of weather roughly 55 degrees F the bike's temp gauge never got towards the middle even if sitting. Now it runs more towards the center left and if idling it runs center right. Any idea's?

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Mine runs about the same. Mileage runs 35 to 42 depending on speed and terrain. If I add a little STP gas treatment, it bumps up the mileage 2 to 5 m.p.g.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Air in the system will give a false or high temperature as the antifreeze level will be low.

When you changed the coolant, did you burp the system with radiator cap off to insure that all air is out of cooling system? IE : run it until the fans kick on and then off again, I have a Turkey injector with clear tubing in hand to suck up the bubbling antifreeze before it overflows and squirt it into a bucket. Then shut off for a few minutes, start back up to suck down the level, then top off radiator level before capping radiator and then the reservoir gets topped off.

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So how can you tell it needs burping? Because the temp doesn't shot up I have just noticed that it seems to be higher and when stopped the temp rgoes up. Took of the cap yesterday when I got back, after it cooled of, and checked the level and I also checked the resevoir.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
So how can you tell it needs burping? Because the temp doesn't shot up I have just noticed that it seems to be higher and when stopped the temp rgoes up. Took of the cap yesterday when I got back, after it cooled of, and checked the level and I also checked the resevoir.
If you didn't burp it, then you still need to.

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got home last night let it cool off and took off the radiator cap. Coolant was high so I started it and starting sucking the coolant out. The fans kicked on and I turned it off and let it sit. Coolant was low so I added for the next couple of hours and topped everything off. Will see tomorrow.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
If you turned it off while the fans were on you didn't follow what I wrote. Two full cycling on and off of the fans is what I do.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
After changing the Timing belts, 3 Airfilters, coolant and oil/filter I took a 400 mile road trip. I replaced the K&N airfilter with an OEM type filter and two things happened
1) My fuel milage increased by 2MPG
2) The bike runs warmer.

Before on a road trip, simular conditions, I would get about 33MPG now I get 35MPG. Also in this type of weather roughly 55 degrees F the bike's temp gauge never got towards the middle even if sitting. Now it runs more towards the center left and if idling it runs center right. Any idea's?
Actually that sounds about normal for my bike as well. Under normal running conditions the needle is just to the left of center. If I idle too ling it will start to creep up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.