Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1998 GL1500se . . . 2003 VTX1800R
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 98 GL1500SE a few months ago knowing that it needed the starter gear replaced. I believe it sat for a few years. The major work is done, I have just gotten the motor back in (still hooking everything up). I rebuilt the carbs, timing belts, new oil, plugs, filters and vacuum lines, cleaned gas tank, rebuilt petcock among other things. I have turned over the engine (on the bench to check compression) is there anything else I should be aware of before firing it up the first time?

Tires, rear end fluid, lubing driveshaft, flushing the brakes and clutch, servicing all the switches, the compressor and suspension will be happening after I hear it run :)

Any other suggestions are more than welcome!

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
I purchased a 98 GL1500SE a few months ago knowing that it needed the starter gear replaced. I believe it sat for a few years. The major work is done, I have just gotten the motor back in (still hooking everything up). I rebuilt the carbs, timing belts, new oil, plugs, filters and vacuum lines, cleaned gas tank, rebuilt petcock among other things. I have turned over the engine (on the bench to check compression) is there anything else I should be aware of before firing it up the first time?

Tires, rear end fluid, lubing driveshaft, flushing the brakes and clutch, servicing all the switches, the compressor and suspension will be happening after I hear it run :)

Any other suggestions are more than welcome!
Seems very well done to me. The only thing I can think of is the first ride. :cool::cool::cool:

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
All the work that you did to that Wing. I strongly believe that you should open your own shop. Good luck and many miles to come. That smile on your face on your first ride sure feels good.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fired it up last night! Only for a second but as soon as the gas hit the carbs it ran.
Dont have the fans in it yet, any exhaust, or airbox installed. But wanted to be sure it would run since I had never seen it run.
For some reason starter button is not working. I did clean it (was nasty) but still no go from the button. (Jumped the starter to start) Once I get the rest of the stuff back on I will have to diagnose that.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Starter buttons have a history of sticking and need cleaning,in the past I have used marvel myster oil and remove the cluster and filled the cavity and let it set,has been a good expiration,they all work like new,the button has a small spring and a small ball that get dislodged .

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Starter buttons have a history of sticking and need cleaning,in the past I have used marvel myster oil and remove the cluster and filled the cavity and let it set,has been a good expiration,they all work like new,the button has a small spring and a small ball that get dislodged .
Yeah. I took it all apart, cleaned it well and reassembled with a little dialectic grease. All of the switches need to be done.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Did it work?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No, it did not work. It must be somewhere else that I am having an issue. It's going to take some serious troubleshooting to find it... most cars I have worked on have less wiring... lol

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,768 Posts
No, it did not work. It must be somewhere else that I am having an issue. It's going to take some serious troubleshooting to find it... most cars I have worked on have less wiring... lol
Cool! Rarely see, or hear of, the correct procedure being done.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Lots of interlocks to stop starter working but if it worked when you jumped it you know you will get there

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lots of interlocks to stop starter working but if it worked when you jumped it you know you will get there
Yeah it's just going to take some time to figure out. It is entirely possible it is something that I have not put on/back together yet. All of the tupperware, radio, cb, among other things are not yet connected.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
G
if you jump the starter selonoid does it crank over,seems like I had an issue with mine and I could jump the starter and I think it was a relay on the right side,been a long time and I could be in error

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I jumped direct to the starter, did not even try the solenoid. I will try that and see.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts