Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

First, I must say to Dave Campbell... I agree whole heartedly.:clapper: I have had several bikes now and the Wing is by far the best and will most definately get you in a whole lot of trouble really quick if you're not careful. I have had the Aspy for a year now and I am just getting used to it (All weather riding takes a while).

My question is...

How in the world do you motivate yourself to pull apart a Wing?:baffled: I'm mechanically inclined. I know how to turn a wrench AND I'll only have 2 or 3 parts left over :D. I need to change my belt (75K) but can't bring myself to pull my baby apart. I'm also too cheap to pay someone else to do a job that I can do myself. Any motivational speakers out there?

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

You can'y have it both ways Mitch, ie you want to change the belts but won't pay someone to do it. If you can do it yourself then just take the bull by the horns and do it. You shouldn't have any nuts and bolts left over after the job. There's not a lot to strip out on a gl1500 when doing the belts.

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
imported post

There will be all kinds of wrenching to do if the belts break.... my little motivational speech.

Bill

·
Premium Member
3,776 Posts
imported post

wveith wrote:
There will be all kinds of wrenching to do if the belts break.... my little motivational speech.

Bill
wveith;

I think you should rent a hall and charge admission, Tony Roberts couldn't have said it any better.... :clapper:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Mitch, I just changed the belts on my 1200 this week. It's not all that bad a job (especially if your bike isn't an SEI) Just have to pull the lower fairings and radiator and a few other little things. Actually changing the belts is easy, use a wrench on the crankshaft nut to turn the engine until the cam pulley marks are pointing up and the marks on the pulleys outboard sides line up with the mark on the case. Then loosen the idlers, pull the pulse coil loose, pull the belts, put on the new ones, tighten up the idlers so you have about 1/8" slack pushing on the middle of the long span of belt. Turn the engine over again by hand and see if the marks all line up. If not readjust until you can turn the engine over by hand and have the marks line back up. The hand turning will insure you won't have any chance of having the valves hit the piston, and will allow you to be sure you are properly timed. Don't be too surprised if you can't get the marks back exactly, stretch on the old belt might make things a little different, but you should be able to get things within a half tooth of where it was when you started. I ended up about that much different, but the bike runs better than ever so it's close enough. Go for it, get the Clymer manual or better the Honda one, it's not hard and once you get started working on the thing the mystery quickly disappears.

:clapper::clapper::clapper:

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
imported post

I didn't change them on mine and the right one broke. No Piston damage but changed the head. Would have been a lot easier to change them. They will only break during the riding season.....

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

It's not a hard job once you get the furniture off.

·
Banned
596 Posts
imported post

Youll find it a joy to work on, well engineered machiene, most everything fits well. I always found motivation by enjoying the stereo while I worked. Watch the drivers right cam, it jumps out of line when the belt comes off. Theres nothing there you cant figure out, just proceed slowly the first time and with the advent of cheap digital cameras, take photos - I didnt have that luxury when I disintegrated mine.

Oh, the motivation is saving a lot of money and knowing its done right. Ahem.....

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
imported post

Hey Mitch you think the belts are bad to do try pulling the whole engine and splitting the case to get in to the trans. I was scard at first to but just like anything ealse use the book and take your time its not that bad :action:

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
imported post

Hi E.W.

Big plus for me was discovering that so far every single nut, bolt, screw has come undone without a fight, I dont know whether I'm just lucky or whether its the quality parts but no rust , no seized bolts.....the bike has not really been looked after either judgeing by the general condition of the chrome its been really rewarding so far , getting ready to paint now , can't decide whether to do clear over base metallic black or just a good solid black.....buts its gonna be black.....
Just Do It..... :D
:D

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
imported post

You can change belts in about an hour and a half. I replaced my timing wheel with a 4 degree wheel, which is essentially the same amount of work. I never had the wing apart before, and I did it in 1 1/2 hours.

You can do it, I know you can. You're awesome, just do it. Come on man get off the couch and do it. Get to work now darnit. You'll feel better about yourself I promise. Do it for all of us, we're rooting for you.:action::action:

There, how's that for motorvation? :p

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

I agree...

That's motivation!:jumper::clapper::jumper: :clapper::jumper:

I have someserious yardwork tocomplete (we're having really good weather for this time of year)but the wing is on my schedule to be done over my birthday weekend. (the 19th this month).

I'll definately git 'er dun!!!:whip:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

It's real easy to get motivated to work on a Wing. If somthing craps out on it and you don't have the money for a shop... That's Motivation!

:waving:

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
imported post

What a friend and I do in a large task as such , get out your favourite coffee , company around breaks the bourdom , good music and away you go , be done in no time .

Zryder:1000darkblue:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.