Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

1990 se need help with squeeky speedo cable but can't get it out of housing. Help please

Or how do I replace entire cable??

Thanks

·
Administrator
27,776 Posts
imported post

Which end are you trying to pull it from? It will only come out the bottom, I think.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imported post

the bottom is where i'm trying to pull from but nothing to grab hold of, no I haven't bought any part yet. Thought I would lightly oil the cable but can't get it out

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

the bottom is where i'm trying to pull from but nothing to grab hold of, no I haven't bought any part yet. Thought I would lightly oil the cable but can't get it out

·
Premium Member
3,813 Posts
imported post

Astor123 wrote:
Did you remove the screw from the side, if so, oil it a little and let it sit for 30 min and wiggle it out. There is nothing else holding it in but the Phillips screw that passes trough the groove in the cable housing.
If I read his messages correctly, he is trying to remove the inner cable from the housing.

That is pretty obvious from his posts.

How does the screw that holds the housing to the drive unit relate to removing the inner cable from the housing? He already has the housing disconnected from the drive unit.

Just trying to keep things accurate and not confuse the situation.

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
imported post

If all else fails, you will can unscrew the speedo housing from the back of the speedometer and try to feed some penetrating oil down from the top. Usually the speedo cable gets cruddy at the bottom where there is a slight bend just before attaching to the drive gear. If you are lucky, the cable hasn't frayed inside. Typical problem on the GL's.

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
imported post

jmcannonball wrote:
If all else fails, you will can unscrew the speedo housing from the back of the speedometer and try to feed some penetrating oil down from the top.

Any tricks on how to get to that,to unscrew the top,my hand is to big to fit.

I have noticed my arm on the speed meter is lightly jumpimg around......(like it is shaking)

anyone know what is causing that ??

·
Premium Member
3,813 Posts
imported post

kyboy67 wrote:
jmcannonball wrote:
If all else fails, you will can unscrew the speedo housing from the back of the speedometer and try to feed some penetrating oil down from the top.

Any tricks on how to get to that,to unscrew the top,my hand is to big to fit.

I have noticed my arm on the speed meter is lightly jumpimg around......(like it is shaking)

anyone know what is causing that ??
If you remove the ignition switch panel and the "dish shaped panel to the left, that gives more room for your hands to get in there. Lay a mirror down under the dash so you can see exactly where the knurl nut is located. Turn the handlebars all the way to the right. Try standing on both sides of the bike and reaching up under there to loosen the nut. If it's real tight, use a small pair of vise grips to loosen it.

In my case, I stood on the right side of the bike, reached across with my left hand and up under there, it came loose by hand relatively easy.

Just try different angles until you can get to it.

Usually the needle jumps around from either the inner cable being very dry (dragging on the housing), a frayed area on the housing or a problem at the drive unit. Such as broken or stripped teeth on the plastic gear in the drive unit.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
imported post

Great post guys, you all have been helpfull
In both my honda repair manual and clymer manual neither one mentions anything about the speedo repair. Isn't that odd?

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

The inner cable is wound so that it would "pull" lube from the speedo downward to the pickup at the wheel as you ride forward (pretty common practice for most GLs :) ).

Using that knowledge - it is possible to lube the speedo end a little heavy, then "ride it clean" by repeatedly pulling the cable out from the wheel end and over-lubing and wiping it all down a few times.

Granted, it's prolly not the "perfect" solution, but it's a great reason to ride more; it's become standard fall and spring maintenance for my rides.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.