Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Took the bags and rear frame off my '91 Interstate today as 1st step replacing the worn out rear tire.

1st question - does anybody clean the back side of the tupperware when they have it off and what do you use on the rough surface on the back? Like to shredded my finger tips and the wash cloth I was using and still not clean ... lots of black "stain?".

2nd question - this may be normal only for the Interstate (or just the '91 anniversary edition) but I assume the connectors below are just rubber sleeved butt splices?

They are a royalPITA because they connect the 2 saddle bags together. Just want to confirm before I start cutting one end to put a connector on (tried tugging but didn't seem to loosen up).

3rd question - I know I should do it, but haven't messed with brakes since I did a '65 VW bug in about 1975. Since I'm already in there I should replace pads, yes? Don't know if the pic helps but they look good to me?

I just rolled over 35K this weekend and don't really know what to expect for pads. Didn't take a pic of the disc but it looks good.

I'm sure I'll have more questions when I go to put it back together ... and if you want to know what 40 miles of new chip seal does to your rear tire ...

It wasn't even down to the wear marks when I left Kennewick that morning :thumbsdown:

I love this forum ... you guys are the best :bow: Thanks. Pat.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

#1 Orange clean works great.
#2 dunno
#3 pads still good. Just be sure and clean and lube the slide bolts

·
It aint rocket science
3,942 Posts
imported post

#2 Do nut start cutting your wires. Look further up or back for a regular connector.

JD

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Yah I looked ... wire goes through a 1/4" hole on the left bag and terminates in a relay block on the right bag. No other connectors, unless it's at the side light on the left bag, but the connector wouldn't fit through the hole.

This is the right bag. You can see the similar hole into the bag on the right side of the pic.

Thanks. Pat

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

The green and brown side marker light wires should just pull apart right there at that black connection, it should be 2 piece.

Brake pads look about 1/2 gone, Personally, I would replace them, I replaced mine with oem pads because I had just purchased the bike and didn't know what was on there, or how old they were, so it was easier for me to just replace them and get the piece of mind.

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

That's my thinking on the brakes ... got the bike in June and don't know when or where.

You're saying in those rubber sleeves are bayonet or banana plug connectors? I gave it a pretty good tug ... but if I have to replace I may as well pull harder.

Thanks. Pat

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

I use Simple Green and a paint brush to clean stuff like that. Yes I would replace the pads while your in there. Those black things should just be insulated bullet connectors, though the may be corroded and stuck. wiggle them around a bit, and spray WD-40 on them. Don't pull on the wires, you may actually break them. They are designed to come apart.

I would say that tire is beyond worn out,, your lucky the tread didn't start coming off.

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

I actually cut my trip short by a day ... would have tried to get it changed in Missoula if not for Labor Day, the only Honda shop was closed for the holiday. Took it over Lolo Pass thinking, 'who can I call to come all the way out here to pick me up'. Took some of the fun out of the run worrying about the tire.

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
imported post

You got at least 10 feet left on that tire.,,:ROFL:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.