Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I am sorry that this first picture is just of the bike in the van as I collected her yesterday, I will endevour to get some more shots for the gallery later, once she is unloaded.

For those of you in the know, the bike would have origionally have had the MarkV fairing fitted from Rickman and I have got one as a seperate item to be fitted later. Unfortunatley, somewhere along it's life this one had the origional fairing removed and was ridden naked. The origional clock from Rickman is also missing. :(as is the origional rack.

The bike has Sigma panniers and top box with it, which were an addition to the origional.

The seat has also been sprayed/dyed black, whcih is a shame as the colour underneath is the origional brown.

This is number 34 of the 52 produced and it is belived that there are not many more than 6 surviving.

The good news is I didn't pay anything like what these now rare models change hands for. :)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Well hopefully it will get either you or possibley Swamfox to Scotland and back in May!!!:):clapper:

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

Ok, if I had to guess here, Rickman was an importer who outfitted the bikes before sold?

I only ask because to me it looks to be a stock '76 or '77 GL1000?:baffled:

Still in great looking shape for it's age though!

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

potted history Mike....

in 1977 Honda sent 52 Goldwings to Rickman for re styling to generate sales in the UK. Rickman fitted them with fairings, crash bars,clock, rack and re painted them all black with gold pinstriping. Then they were put back in the showrooms and apparently sold like hot cakes. #1 was never numbered and was given as first prize in an MCN magazine competition. It survives today and is owned by someone in Bath.

Goldwings were selling fro the princely sum of about £1600.00 in 1976 and the restyled models sold for £2100 + VAT, so a fair old hike in price.

So yes, basically under the re styling the bike was a standard GL1000 K2, which was exactly the model I owned two of many years ago.

I have aquired a bit of info from the previous owner as well as two members from on here who own Executives.

I would like eventually to restore this one to exact origional spec, by adding the correct items back on.

One sold on ebay recently for £3800 apparently, though I didn't see it go through.:baffled:

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

Excuse my ignorance,,,,,, but what makes it different from other GL 1000's ????????

I see the exhaust is different,,,,,,,, maybe after market :baffled:But I'm no expert by NO means.

That motor sure is clean from what I can see along with the rest of the bike it looks to be in nice shape.

Your making me miss my ole "77 thats for sure:(

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Winger77 wrote:
Excuse my ignorance,,,,,, but what makes it different from other GL 1000's ????????

I see the exhaust is different,,,,,,,, maybe after market :baffled:But I'm no expert by NO means.

That motor sure is clean from what I can see along with the rest of the bike it looks to be in nice shape.

Your making me miss my ole "77 thats for sure:(
Only the re styling makes it different, there were no modifications to the engine frame or anything like that.

The exhaust is indead an after market one and again I hope in time to replace with an origional, whcih are of course as rare as rocking horse pooh now!!!!

This one is in what I would call "good origional condition" and has not been restored as many are nowadays. I jsut need to aquire those extra bits that make it complete as it was sold.

She ain't pefect by any means, but with some fettling she will be running as sweet as a nut and be on the road again. She passed our annual MOT test that all vehicles must have just the other week but has developed a slight missfire, which is where my "pet mchanic" comes in and that is why it is still in the van, I am hoping to hear back from him that I can take it straight to the workshop rather than unload and re load her.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Un ashamedly stolen from a post from ages ago here is what she should look like ( and will again one day hopefully) this is owned by one of our members in London and I have been in phone contact with him for advice and help and will be again no doubt!!! Thank you Royboy!!

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

Ok Pete, now with the 2nd pic, I understand better because I've seen pix of those in the past, I just didn't realize they were a Honda approved package.

My dad would have killed to have a pair of those wheels on his old '77. Then again, I'd kill to have dad's old '77 back. ;)

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

Ok,,,,,,,,, never saw that kind of fairing before. Sweet bike.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
imported post

Howdy, I'm new to the forum. Just wanted to say your bike looks great, got one just like it. Black 76 i've been working on for a year. Good luck with yours and I'll post a pic of mine as soon as I figure out how to post on this forum. Shaft

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Thank you for the positive comments and if anyone knows any more about the Executives, I would be more than happy to hear from them.

Here are some more shots of the bike earlier today as delivered to my mate's workshop ready for some tinkering by him.

http://tinyurl.com/b9mewx

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
imported post

Do we assume, Mr Fox, that you willnow be ditching your 1800?

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

maplewingnut wrote:
Do we assume, Mr Fox, that you willnow be ditching your 1800?
:shock::shock::shock:... no way jose!!!!!!! I couldn't give up all the home comforts and Helen the Viking would be less than impressed!!!:X

·
Premium Member
12,777 Posts
imported post

What a nice find Pete ! That correct fairing is really a piece of art . I hope your able to gather all the bits needed .

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

WOW !!....Sweet Ride, Pete....she is purdy !!! ;)

I know you are anxious to get her dressed up "Prim & Proper", and out on the hi-way....Great Find ! :goofygrin:

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

Well, as you can see she is a way off from looking like Roy's, but I hope one day to have her to origional spec. For now though the goal is to have her running sweet and prepared fully for her to once again eat the miles up on the road. She has only done 59k miles over her 30+ years, so she is but run in, now she needs to add some miles to her clock. :)

Today, I am gonna get new plugs, oil, air and fuel filters fitted and take things from there.

Luckily I know the belts were done not very long back. :)

The fairing I aquired with her is the right one, but lacks all the hardwear including headlight and mirrors, so I may well just fit a clear screen to her for now to give some weather protection, until I have all the bits gathered to re fit the fairing.

I will bore you with updates as I progress. :shock::cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
3,463 Posts
imported post

A very nice find Pete!! Does it have a cigarette lighter or am I gonna have to come over for a spin?!!:D

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.