Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

We left my home, which is near cape cod Mass. around 1600 on friday. With no particular destination in mind.. I decided to head west on route 2, and then north on route 7 out of williamstown mass, and stayed in bennington V.t. for the night. We only traveled for 3 hours but the first thing I noticed was there was no aches and pains when I dismounted.. This was a new thing to me, (it only took 2 on the ST to be pretty stiff.) The next day took us up 7 to 22a which is a beautiful ride with rolling hills and a generous speed limit with minimal enforcement.. I can't get over the confidence the wing instills, I really think it makes You a better rider..The day ended with a slow roll through vermonts grand Isles. Headed south for a short stint on I89 and stayed in St. Albans for the night.. I wanted to take highway all the way home to get a feel for things for long distance highway speeds.. Again Holy Moly!!! It was a windy day up north on sunday, which on the ST would have been a chore.. But on the wing it was just no big deal.. A few drift corrections and up 2 points on the headset volume took care of it all.. I was cruising around 85 mph and in my mirror i could see a single light making time on me in a big way.. Hmm I thought "don't see too many S.P. bike units up here" but i backed it down to 75 just in case. Woosh! a kawi sport tourer concours? passed me like I was standing still, two people on it.. SO Me being me:cool:,, I whacked it and passed him back.. we went back and forth for about 15 miles, at one point I built up enough balls to actually look at the speedo and it was reading right around 128 mph,, Now if any of you are familiar with I 89 around exit 9 it has some nasty but not big pot holes and divots.. again the big wing had no problems over the trouble makers at high speed.. we both backed off to about 80-85 and rode together for another 20 miles..Whoever you were thanks for a nice ride...

I felt so good when we got back into mass. I even took 93 through Boston, over the Zacum and through the tube.. This I would have never even considered... but the wing makes you feel that way... It handled all the boston S.E. expressway garbage with ease..

Karen and I made it home in 3.5 hours from S.T. albans which is 247 miles from my dirt driveway.. Now the wing has 1100 miles on it, and all is well. A great weekend , with a great wife, and an awsome bike.. I just Can't say enough about it.. I am truly amazed.. And today I am not sore, total miles of the trip were 737 , in the past that meant soreness and alot of it.. Now I may go for a ride, even if it does rain...

Sorry if this was too long, if it was please let me know and I will make them shorter..

Just wanted to share, and may be a bit over zealous with this new thing...

Thanks

Dave

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

:cheeky1:So what's your point? It's a Wing!:cooler:

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Don't you listen to old Grumpy, I for one was interested to read the details. I have but one complaint about your post..... where are the pics:baffled:. Don't forget to get to give the camera to Karen, so she can make herself useful on the rides!!:goofygrin:

Mind you, she was probably holding on for dear life, whilst you were giving the Kawazaki crotch rocket a run for his money!!

Anyway, glad you had a great weekend, and it sounds doubtful that you will be crying out for the ST back.

Pete

·
Premium Member
3,777 Posts
imported post

Ain't life grand. Glad you had a great time. If I even think about breaking the ton my helmet starts to buffet something awful from the wife's clenched fists...:action: I usually have to wait for her to fall asleep... :gunhead:

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts
imported post

Sounds like you had a great time. Glad that you are enjoying the Wing. Just be careful, I hear that the taxman is trying to add a Wing Enjoyment Tax on Wing owners in Mass. Says that if your having fun, it's a sin, so you'll have to pay a sin tax. (Just Joking!):D

Gene:waving::11red::11red::11red::cooler:

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Glester, your not that far from the truth. unfortunately,

Thanks for the reply's guy's, even yours old guru master:pI do have pic's just some of the bike and karen eating in a parking lot.. i wanted to avitar the bike but i dont know how to shrink the file enough... as for the rest where do i post em?.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Here's one on grand isle V.T.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Dave0, you could set up a little web page and post them on there. Post a link on here and folks can go visit if they wish.

Pete

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,413 Posts
imported post

Dave0 wrote:
I whacked it and passed him back.. we went back and forth for about 15 miles, at one point I built up enough balls to actually look at the speedo and it was reading right around 128 mph,,
Hey DaveO :whip: Cop yourself on before it's too late. :madeyes:Goldwings are not for that kind of use. :cussing:If you want to ride like that get yourself an RI and get on the track and lets see what your made off. :realshocked:

:headbanger::18red::headbanger:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Dave0 wrote:
Glester, your not that far from the truth. unfortunately,

Thanks for the reply's guy's, even yours old guru master:pI do have pic's just some of the bike and karen eating in a parking lot.. i wanted to avitar the bike but i dont know how to shrink the file enough... as for the rest where do i post em?.
If you want to shrink a picture to make an avatar I find Irfanview a good program for the job, best of all it's free at:

http://www.irfanview.com/

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Appreciate the advice Redwing, but have already heeded it but on a gixer 1000 sorry just not a yamy fan, just completed my 3rd year with penguin race school at the N.H. international speedway, this june .. Was a bit of a hairy year as it rained for most of the time, but we still ripped on the monster mile.. nothing like distilled water and stripping the plastic off my stepbrothers brand new suzy. Poor kid was horrified when i had it all ready...:action: Any how I am pretty confident of what I am made of and if it was time on the wing then it was just time..

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Don't want people to think I was pulling my own chain, just wanted to share the story and thought people would get a kick out of it.. If I offended any one with my lawlessness please let me apologize.. Also that is not my usuall style of riding especially with my wife who is my best friend to boot... I 89 in that section of vermont is pretty quiet and safe not to say that speed is ever safe.. Whoa! sorry i am getting carried away.. Redwing made me feel bad... Whaaaaa! So where I am new I am worried to give the wrong impression to the group.. Sorry guy's

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Dave0 wrote:
Don't want people to think I was pulling my own chain, just wanted to share the story and thought people would get a kick out of it.. If I offended any one with my lawlessness please let me apologize.. Also that is not my usuall style of riding especially with my wife who is my best friend to boot... I 89 in that section of vermont is pretty quiet and safe not to say that speed is ever safe.. Whoa! sorry i am getting carried away.. Redwing made me feel bad... Whaaaaa! So where I am new I am worried to give the wrong impression to the group.. Sorry guy's
Don't you worry about Old Grumpy, he was only acting like a father would chastising his child for his own good. If you want to crank the Wing up a bit where safe to do so, go ahead, I am sure you would soon get the "speed Limiter" kick in if you were doing anything stupid, as in, a clonk on the helmet, or a jab in the ribs, from your favorite Lady!!! :clapper::clapper::goofygrin::goofygrin:

I rather doubt you were in the middle of a city or town whilst riding quickly. I am not averse to putting my foot down, when the occasion allows. Come traffic or urbanization and you are looking at Mr Snail though.

Pete

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,413 Posts
imported post

Dave0 wrote:
Appreciate the advice Redwing, Any how I am pretty confident of what I am made of.
Hey DaveO :waving: Many a time i have heard those words "Pretty Confident" but unfortunately the people that i heard using them are no longer with us.:crying: The dangers of riding a m/cycle compared to driving a cage is unreal. :whip:All the experienced m/cyclistson this forum would understand what i mean :clapper: some members on the forum would not have the same knowledge :stumped:and would be inclined to offer the wrong advice to another member :baffled:When anything goes wrong while riding on a m/cycle you dont get a second chance.:shakehead:So just be careful and ride with safety all the time. :weightlifter:

Ok i will get down off the soap box now. :bash2:

:leprechaun::18red::leprechaun:

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
imported post

Redwing wrote:
Dave0 wrote:
Appreciate the advice Redwing, Any how I am pretty confident of what I am made of.
Hey DaveO :waving: Many a time i have heard those words "Pretty Confident" but unfortunately the people that i heard using them are no longer with us.:crying: The dangers of riding a m/cycle compared to driving a cage is unreal. :whip:All the experienced m/cyclistson this forum would understand what i mean :clapper: some members on the forum would not have the same knowledge :stumped:and would be inclined to offer the wrong advice to another member :baffled:When anything goes wrong while riding on a m/cycle you dont get a second chance.:shakehead:So just be careful and ride with safety all the time. :weightlifter:

Ok i will get down off the soap box now. :bash2:

:leprechaun::18red::leprechaun:

Oh no!! I have to agree with Redwing.

One other factor, you were 2up. Look I may have as many hours riding and racing as you, I may have more, I may have less. But irrespective of my hours racing or your hours racing, 2up changes the whole equation. You never know what your rider is going to do, you just never know and the influence of the ridersposition in the overall geometry of the bike increases exponentially with speed.

I really hope you accept this in the spirit in which it was offered. We are a sort of a family here and we do concern ourselves one for the other. I know it is hard when you feel criticised, but rest assured, no one...(Even that grumpy old RedWing), wishes you ill. Exactlythe opposite.We just speak out.

I bring some comments on myself on the Technical Forum with some of my mechanical questions that really are not well thought out.(My classic is asking how to clean my oil soaked brake pads!!) And I get taken up on it quickly, but I also know those that do take me up are sincerely concerned for me and you know what? It feels pretty damn good.

But please do not put me where I have to agreee with RedWing ever again!! And the fastest colour is BLACK

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

Ok guy's first of all let me apologize for maybe being a bit on the defensive side with redwng, I was and I am sorry. In all reality he is right and so is everyone els.. Popping over the century with the Mrs. on the high seat was dumb and of all people in the world who know this I should definately be one of them. with many hours of instructed riding time on track and saftey courses over the past 18 years.. I also hope that if there is anyone who is a new rider that may have read my post to not duplicate what I wrote about speeding.. SO i would like to ask to put this one to bed. And again hope my apology is accepted.. I feel bad to start in a new fourm and be typing this way already.

Dave

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
imported post

Dave0 wrote:
I do have pic's just some of the bike and karen eating in a parking lot..
So, I HAVE to ask, what was the bike eating?

Ruaidh

(p.s.: We ALL do foolish things once in a while. Sometimes luck is with us and sometimes not. We live and learn, but sometimes the lessons are hard. Sounds like you had a FANTASTIC ride.)

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

There's no need to apologize to this crowd, some of would never do it, some of us are a bit closer to the edge. Besides I'm getting tired of all this Politically Correct crap, there was an article in our evening paper tonight complaining that a drunk driver after being convicted in court wouldn't apologize to the dead girl's family. The judge even chastised the guy. What the hell good would an apology do? If someone killed one of my family I sure wouldn't give a good God Damn whether he apologized!

Since your self perceived faux pas was so tiny, take back the stupid apology. You can't help it, you're a man, and you can change, if you have to! ([suP][suB]apologies to Red/Green) [/suB][/suP]

[suP]h[/suP][suB][suP]e[/suP]h[/suB]

[suB] [/suB][suP]h[/suP][suB][suP]e[/suP]h[/suB]

[suB] [suP] [/suP][/suB][suP]h[/suP][suB][suP]e[/suP]h [/suB]

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Ruaidh wrote:
Dave0 wrote:
I do have pic's just some of the bike and karen eating in a parking lot..
So, I HAVE to ask, what was the bike eating? Ruaidh
Good eye, twenty points to Slytherin!:cheeky1:

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,413 Posts
imported post

Dave0 wrote:
Ok guy's first of all let me apologize for maybe being a bit on the defensive side with redwng, I was and I am sorry. In all reality he is right and so is everyone els.. Popping over the century with the Mrs. on the high seat was dumb and of all people in the world who know this I should definately be one of them. with many hours of instructed riding time on track and saftey courses over the past 18 years.. I also hope that if there is anyone who is a new rider that may have read my post to not duplicate what I wrote about speeding.. SO i would like to ask to put this one to bed. And again hope my apology is accepted.. I feel bad to start in a new fourm and be typing this way already.

Dave
Hey DaveO :waving:Well said, but like the "Senior Guru" no need to apologize to me or indeed to anyone else on this great forum. :clapper: Lets move on and enjoy this great site. :weightlifter:

:leprechaun::18pink::leprechaun:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.