Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased my first Goldwing (2000 SE) and want to add helmet communications. I want to listen to my passenger, bike radio, CB, other bikes and Sirius radio. I am looking for advice on what to buy and brands. Also, I wear more than one helmet so that may be a problem. I am aware of Sena,J&M and other brands. What do you love on your helmet? I'm excited to get the new bike out on the open road and in the twisties here in the Colorado mountains. Can you hear the bike's speakers at highway speed ? I have had many bikes but will have to practice with this one. It seems a bit intimidating ! Now I have to sell the Harley and Boulevard ! Can't wait for the snow that we just got to melt. Should be gone in a couple days. We ride all year but don't go into the big hills ! THX

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
...I want to listen to my passenger, bike radio, CB, other bikes and Sirius radio. I am looking for advice on what to buy and brands. Also, I wear more than one helmet so that may be a problem. I am aware of Sena,J&M and other brands. What do you love on your helmet?...
> J&M is probably the most popular option, especially as a result of their excellent customer service. I use their cheapest models, and they sound fine to my ear.
> Any headset that physically plugs into the 5-pin stock plug on your bike, will provide the sought after interface to the bike's radio, CB and Intercom.
> Dunno anything about using or interfacing a Sirius radio... if it's anything like an MP3 player, then it's possible to adapt the bike's radio to include an Auxiliary Input for sound, from an external device.
> You would need to buy a separate headset for each helmet you use... Can't easily move them from one helmet to the other.

...Can you hear the bike's speakers at highway speed ?...
> Yes, but the sound quality is poor, and the volume is low... At best, I can hear the Bass sounds.
> I typically only use the headsets for music, except when my daughter is passenger and she want's to listen to her music and I do not... in which case I just turn on the Rear Speakers, and leave myself in relative quiet up front (with the headsets off at that point)

I just purchased my first Goldwing (2000 SE) ...I have had many bikes but will have to practice with this one. It seems a bit intimidating ! ...
> Realize that the 1500 handles best above 15mph... hence get some stick-time on the bike at highway speeds, before attempting to master low speed turning. Also, due to the heavy weight of the bike, Counter-Steering is ESSENTIAL... Look it up, if not already familiar.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I liked J&M for helmet.

In my experience radio volume was adequate for speakers at hiway speeds but I almost always used the headset as the fidelity was much better (I always wear earplugs.)

For XM and Ipod I used a cassette adapter. for some reason I never figured out I often had to hit the "reverse" button on the tape player for the adapter to work correctly.

I suspect you'll like the GL a lot better than the other bikes you mentioned.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Welcome to the forum Rickgyver

As said the J&M are popular headsets, Edsets are another. The 1500 is a wired headset operation, some have gone wireless but there isn't much available to use the CB on the wireless options unless you are electronic wiz kid or have @ $800 to throw into doing it.

I used just the speakers on my 13,500 mile ride last Aug-Dec 1st, 2011. They do fine if in good condition. There are posts on upgrading them to Polk or Infinety speakers and adding an amplifier in the trunk to get better sound.

Radio mod to add MP3 player with better sound than the tape player gizmo as the gizmo will toast the drive belt. This adds a jack into the radio to plug in a MP3 or satellite radio, GPS.
http://www.sheriart.net/honda/

Another option
http://goldwingdocs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=5316

Or the next best way is a plug in antenna modulator.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.