Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello group,

I am ready to purchase my first mesh jacket for summer riding. I like the looks of Joe Rocket, but the fit was a little tight on me around the middle. I have not been able to locate a dealer with Firstgear mesh in stock, but according to their sizing chart, they are a couple inches larger in the waist area. Does anyone have any knowledge about quality differences between the two ?

If I order the Firstgear Mesh-Tex, it will be off the internet sight unseen. I thought I would check with y'all first. You are the smartest people I know !

Thanks, Dave

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,203 Posts
imported post

They are both good.

Mine was Joe Rocket in 3X. Normally I wear 2X stuff, but for a riding jacket, you better go larger for comfort.

·
Premium Member
349 Posts
imported post

I have a First Gear mesh jacket that I like very much. The con is the fabric/mesh tends to "pull" or fray a bit on the front side about midway up. I looked at another brand new one in the same store where I purchased mine and noticed a few places where the fraying was already evident. I cannot think of why or how this would occur. But it does!

·
Village Whack Job...
7,908 Posts
imported post

I'm partial to fieldSheer myself. Their jackets tend to have more armour. the armou tends to be stronger as well.

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

FieldSheer as well here, I can shed different layers as I go. Everywhere from snow to heat. It's comfortable and that is hard to say about many.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
imported post

i also have the Firstgear Torrent Mesh Jacket i brought last year, and i really like it. you have to try on all the brands they all size different. good luck

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

I bought my wife and myself JoeRocket mesh jackets with foam impact panels. Good looking yellow and black jacket,but we have had problems with the zippers on both jackets. Also, they are tight around the middle. Probly fit nice if you're in your 20's! The waterproof liner is good, been caught in a couple thunderstorms, and they did thier job. Hot as a clambake though! I feel it was overpriced at $149.00 each, for the zippers to come apart in less than 6 months. jimsjinx

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,203 Posts
imported post

My Joe Rocket's were bought 3 years ago. Zippers at that time were real heavy and no problems with them.

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
imported post

I had the same problem with a sleeve zipper in the Joe Rocket. TheHonda dealer would not warranty the zipper, but told me to contact Joe Rocket.If I wanted service like that, I would go on line to buy my goods.:X

The 2X gave me the same problem as my body is more oval shaped than flat in the middle.Fabric ventilates well with the liner removed, and the armor pieces are removable to make for easycleaning. If I hadit to do all over again, I would check outthe MeshTex first.

Michael

·
Premium Member
1,356 Posts
imported post

I just got a tourmaster intake air I've only had it a little over a week and I love it because it fits me better than any of the ones I tried on. It's got the hard armor in the shoulders and elbows and dense foam along the back. Quality is very good and it comes with 2 liners one for rain and one for warmth the can be used together or separately. I would try to find one you can try on because they all fit a little different and all the names brands are going to be quality.
That's my 2 cents

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
imported post

I have the First Gear Mesh Jacket and I love it. If you take off and it is still a little chilly you always layer up and then down when it warms up a bit. Then take out the liner later too. If you get too hot, find a river or a garden hose somewhere and soak it down and man it is so nice. Evaporative cooling works real good. Wore it at 112 degrees and soaked it up and what a difference it makes. All the jackets are good these days, depends on what fits, the style and of course $$$ too. Good luck... Ride On

·
Premium Member
1,846 Posts
imported post

I just ordered a TourMaster Transition II this morning, like the look and the style. I guess I will find out this summer if it is too hot or not. If it is then I will have to order a mesh jacket just for summer riding. $165 for a 3-4 season jacket isn't bad $$$.

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
imported post

I like the versatility of Tourmaster Intake and my 7 year old T-Master GX-Air. I don't like the new style GX-Air as much! But Tourmaster is good quality and fit.
I found the Joe Rocket to be lesser quality but it may have been the 2 styles of J-R mesh jackets I was looking at.

·
Premium Member
608 Posts
imported post

Tourmaster here as well. With the 2 removable liners, it can be worn all 4 seasons comfortably. Good quality and reasonably priced, just can't go wrong in my opinion.

Cobra

:15grey:

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
imported post

I bought a Tourmaster Draft Air in Large. It fits and feels great. I tried on a few at Cycle Gear, (joe rocket, fieldsheer and motoboss.) I was worried about fit When I ordered my Draft Air on line, but I am very happy with it. It was 89.00 and free shipping, the Aquatherm liner does not come with it. I am trying to get one of those but they are on backorder. Its an additional 50.00 with Shipping.

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
imported post

I have had my Joe Rocket for 4 years, and the only issue I've had is the snaps on the sleeve tabs (to cinch the sleeves tight) broke off early on. I don't miss them, though, so I just cut the tabs off. The mesh around the cuffs is a bit ragged from the velcro attaching where it shouldn't, but other than that it has worn well.

I'm looking at a First Gear to replace it, mostly for the rain and insulated liners. My JR has neither, and I usually wear a windbreaker over top when it gets chilly, like less than 40*. Plus, the FG comes in this astonishing shade of yellow that is hard to look at and even harder to miss!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.