Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I've a 1992 GL1500SE and want to fit a hitch.How do I remove the centre piece of plastic directly below the number plate? The bike doesn't seem to have the mounting brackets that the hitch bolts to. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
imported post

robbie1401

If it is the standard 1500 hitch, you really shouldn't need to pull that rear fender cover. The hitch connects to the side gaurds and the luggage frame and you shouldn't need to disassemble anything.

Now if it is not the Show Chrome style standard hitch, then I'm no help.

You might want to post a pic of the hitch if you can.

Pat

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,253 Posts
imported post

Remove licence plate. Remove licence plate bracket. Remove trunk corner lights by prying off the four trim pieces that hide the screws and remove the screws. Wires unplug under there, too. Remove lower saddlebag bolts (inside saddlebag) and loosen the other two up on the sides. Should now be able to pull the saddlebags out just a touch at rear and remove said piece of plastic. I got mine from Chromeworld and it was much easier to install with the saddlebags off, though you can loosen them quite a bit and wiggle the mounting u-bolt brackets through. I forget, but you may also have to remove the bottom trunk trim (4 screws and some nervous prying/sliding). Actually I am pretty sure you do because if I remember right (it is dark out right now) that piece overlaps the bag lips.
Sounds involved but is actually pretty easy and takes about 5-10 minutes.
I ran my trailer wires along the frame there and out under that plastic piece.

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks for the quick reply. I havn't bought a hitch yet as I wanted to be sure it would fit.Are the mounting brackets behind the trim?

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
imported post

Robbie most 1500 hitches mount in 4- 6 places on the wing. You will have 4 u-bolt clamps - two bolt to the rear crash guard and two to the saddlebag frame. You will also most likely have two clamps that also mount to the saddlebag frame. See the attached picture that I borrowed from cyclemax.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
imported post

If you are interested I have a used 1500 trailer hitch and riser/ball here from a 1500 trike conversion that I was going to place onto Ebay. Looks just like the picture above.

Make me a decent offer and it could be yours!

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Hi, many thanks for the offer. Would be really interested but postage from US would be more than what hitch is worth. Robbie

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Thanks for that. I was under the impression that the hitch was mounted on 6 points.Are two brackets at the rear of the hitch (not circled) supposed to be bolted to brackets on the frame? Would 4 u bolts be enough?

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,253 Posts
imported post

Mine mounts with two more u-brackets at the rear, so four u-brackets and the sandwich mounts to the crash guard at the front of the hitch.

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

That makes more sense to me.Thanks for all replies,got a good idea where to go now.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,253 Posts
imported post

Buy a hitch. Remove plastic. Follow instructions sent with new hitch.
It is pretty easy. The only pain to me with a hitch is that in order to remove the rear wheel at home I also have to pull the hitch off. Adds about 1/2 hour to the time removing wheel. Thankfully, that is only annually to grease the splines.

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
imported post

I installed the Showchrome hitch this summer (on my '91 1500 SE), I didn't see a need to remove any plastic, but I found that the rear u-bolt clamps didn't line up properly. I actually modified these rear u-bolts slightly - removed the support half round stock on just 1 side of each "u". Made it much easier to install. It's a nice hitch setup once installed.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,253 Posts
imported post

You need the plastic off to put the trailer wire kit in though so you can run the wires safely.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.