Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Every year a group of friends head out from Nova Scotia to Laconia or Americade. This year is Laconia, and sitting around in December looking forward to the trip I came up with the idea of going to Laconia via Key West. Did the math, booked the time and a standing joke 5-2 (half assed 10-4) became the theme for our adventure.

Although this is going to be a great experience, it has taken a life of it's own and now we have a blog site dedicated to the adventure and many more things to come.

I invite you to visit out BLOG site Five Two Adventures.

This Blog and adventure is going to be documented and published. Every weekend warrior longs for a motorcycle adventure, and we are going to make it happen. Almost a step by step instructional site on how to get away. Trip #1 is Key West, Trip #2 (already in development) Route 66.

I invite you to visit.

Mike

http://mickeystour.com

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
imported post

its not that its too far, its that its too far for only two weeks of riding. we would get white line fever and be too tired and not be alert. now take 4 weeks and do 5000 miles and hell yea, thats nice puttin man!......rick

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

Traveling thruways and such that averages about 7 hours a day. Very reasonable but it will wear on you. Is this 2 week period seperate from the time you will spend at Laconia or ar a couple of days there included? For me 7 hours a day for several days is fine but when you start pushing 9-10 hours after about 3 days I start making mistakes and that is deadly. Running to Queer town I would definetly plan on a day off there before turning around. If this were me I would seriously consider a destination of say Daytona Beach vice Key West to acheive a day of rest in the midlle.

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
imported post

10 days would do it easily ;). But then again I mostly ride without a back seat companion :?. Sounds like a nice ride :waving:

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

My first long trip was last June,08. I did 5,683 miles in 13 days and about 3 hours. I'm located in the Northeastern part of Pa. I left bound for Durango Co. , then rode the Million Dollar Highway, made my way north crossed all of Wyoming and did the Beartooth Pass into Red Lodge Mn. Came back over Beartooth and headed east through the Big Horn Mountains. Got to Mount Rushmore and stayed 2 nights. Then beat back home.

I would do anywhere between 500 & 700 miles on my way to Durango,,,,, and again 500-700 after Mount Rushmore. Most all the other travel was 300-400 miles. Those days were for real enjoyment. And brother,,,,,,, I can't say how much I enjoyed it.

So you will need to put in some long days riding. And those kind of days are done on the Interstates mostly. And I would make a pit stop between gas stops also.

Be looking forward to reading about your journey.

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Our plan is a couple of days of hard riding, while we are still excited, then casually ride until we get to Laconia for a week of R&R you know 100 to 200 miles a day

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

5000 miles in two weeks?Done that last fall. Across the US West to East and back. Mighta been a day or so short of 14 though. No problem but it doesn't leave a lot of sight seeing time.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,666 Posts
imported post

I don't think I want to push a ride that hard.

I want to be able to enjoy where I have been, take the time to look around, and take some pictures to show off my travels :)

The two weeks is awesome, and yep, I would enjoy that. But I think 3 or 4 hours a day, every day, would be enough for me.

I know that my last ride was a six hour, straight thru from Mesa, AZ to San Diego, CA. My shoulders were too tight to enjoy the rest of the day.

Fast rides at 80+ are not fun for me anymore. guess I'm getting to be an old fogie ;)

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

I'm pleased with the feedback, thanks folks. As you can tell there are many opinions and thoughts. I got a chuckle from a PM the other day. "Since your middle aged, that means you don't have an ass any more so the time in the saddle doesn't seem to feel as bad." Keep em coming.

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

I am knocking on the 50 year mark here on Earth. I routinely run to my best frinds place in SC. That is 450 miles mostly 55 mph or better and can be done comfortably in 7.5-8 hours

I also run routinely to my Family homestead in Western NY about 580 miles and not all 55 mph. That is a 10-11 hour run.

When I arrive In SC I generally feel like I have some life left in me, but when I arrive in Buffalo I don't want to do nothing but stop moving!!

I generally do over 10,000 miles a year so I am not just a weekend rider but about the 8-9-10 hour mark when pushing for miles I start feeling un focused. After 2-3 days of that it gets Dangerous. Not saying it can't be done but risk goes up significantly when the hours you spend on the bike are more than the hours you spend sleeping or off the bike. For extended periods (more than a couple of consecutive days)8 hours motoring, 8 hours off the bike, and 8 hours sleeping are about MY limit. Now the 8 hours off the bike may be split up to include a 45 minute lunch and a 30 minute walk in a park and a mid afternoon 10 minute nap on the side of the road etc etc etc.

Discuss it with your friends. Naturally some will want to push harder than others but have a safety plan and establish some limits. Watch each other for drifting on the road and stumbling feet at stop signs and any other signs that the attention span has lapsed.

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
imported post

That is all good advise Whiskerfish - well put.

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
imported post

Five of us from Denver, wanted to do what we called the PCH ride (Pacific Coast Hiway)
Went from Denver, to Vegas, To Bakersfield, (picked up another rider) up to San Fran, over to Reno, and back to Denver via Salt Lake. 3000 miles in 6 days.
Had a great time.

Then the next month, I had a family reunion in LA. Then went to San Diego, and back thru AZ and NM. 3000 mies in 6 days.

Hoping to go to Key West this summer. And, another circle from Ohio, to Denver, to San Antonio back to Ohio.

So ,yea, I'd do another long road trip. Knocking on the 60th year of my birth.So, gotta get in as much riding as I can before my back goes completely.

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
imported post

5k in 2 weeks is easily doable, but ya can't sit around and do it. A couple of 0 mile days will have ya pushing. It is easier in the West than in the East, too much conjestion in the East and Wide Open Spaces in the West with 75 MPH speed limits.
Go for it!!!

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
imported post

These guys are doing a Ten in Ten rally.

http://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58185

Now that to me is hard. I think you guys will do fine in your 5K in two weeks especially if you knock out a couple of 750 mile days on the front end of the trip. Always leave yourself a little wiggle room at the end. Good luck everyone.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
imported post

Whiskerfish wrote:
I am knocking on the 50 year mark here on Earth. I routinely run to my best frinds place in SC. That is 450 miles mostly 55 mph or better and can be done comfortably in 7.5-8 hours

I also run routinely to my Family homestead in Western NY about 580 miles and not all 55 mph. That is a 10-11 hour run.

When I arrive In SC I generally feel like I have some life left in me, but when I arrive in Buffalo I don't want to do nothing but stop moving!!

I generally do over 10,000 miles a year so I am not just a weekend rider but about the 8-9-10 hour mark when pushing for miles I start feeling un focused. After 2-3 days of that it gets Dangerous. Not saying it can't be done but risk goes up significantly when the hours you spend on the bike are more than the hours you spend sleeping or off the bike. For extended periods (more than a couple of consecutive days)8 hours motoring, 8 hours off the bike, and 8 hours sleeping are about MY limit. Now the 8 hours off the bike may be split up to include a 45 minute lunch and a 30 minute walk in a park and a mid afternoon 10 minute nap on the side of the road etc etc etc.

Discuss it with your friends. Naturally some will want to push harder than others but have a safety plan and establish some limits. Watch each other for drifting on the road and stumbling feet at stop signs and any other signs that the attention span has lapsed.

yes indeed. i agree totally. those long days in the saddle can really wear on your skills. i like your 8 on and 8 off idea. gives us some time to stop and smell the roses, so to speak...........rick

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
imported post

First define "two weeks". My definition 15.5 days - that's just how we usually roll. Take off on a Friday afternoon and return the third Sunday after.

Second, it depends on what type of riding and what areas you you want to see and maybe spend time at. If you are just blasting south to get to Florida and will take in what you can see from the super highways - great. But a real great time might be taking Route 1 all or part way down - in this case you may not make it.

And an thirdly - depending on your goals there are "options". For example = you could ride to Lorton, VA and put your bike on the "Autotrain" and sleep overnight to Sanford Florida and ride Florida and then do the same or ride back. I did the Autotrain when I rode East Coast to West Coast from 10/22/02 through 12/24/02. The advantage was cutting the time and arriving "fresh" for "Biketoberfest" in Daytona. The Disadvantage is I've never ridden the Blue Ridge or any of those "Atlantic" States Between VA and FL.

As I said - it all depends on your goals and what you logistics you want to do to get there.

Here is a link to the Autotrain: http://tinyurl.com/d57xh

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.