Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Sponsored Editorial Content
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

If you own a motorcycle, you are a target for motorcycle theft—and it doesn't matter how fancy or filthy it is. Obviously, big-buck cruisers like Harley-Davidsons and tricked-out $15,000 sportbikes are tasty treats for thieves, but vehicle theft is sometimes a crime of opportunity, so here's five ways to keep your bike safe, no matter what it is.

Motorcycle thieves, although usually not great at career planning, are very clever, practiced and good at what they do. That means they can work incredibly fast, defeating multiple security systems and locks in minutes or even seconds. Their strongest weapon is speed, so your best defense is to make it as complicated as possible to get your bike, so they'll look for an easier target.
Read more about the Five Ways to Keep Your Motorcycle from Being Stolen.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Odd you should say all that...I ALSO have five ways to thwart bike thieves....

One over-and-under 12 gauge

One side-by-side 12 gauge

One Colt 10mm Delta Elite

Been riding over 40 years and so far.....nobody has wanted to even get close

....sT

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,651 Posts
same here ST,

no one wants a Goldwing, nothing there they can peddle for fast cash... not even the parts... takes too damn long to find a buyer, and only if you advertise nationally....

nope, our Goldwings are pretty much safe, and you don't go pushing a 1,000 lb bike around on garage floor coasters either, not in parking lots full of cracks and rough tar strips....

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
Gold wings also could be shut off with the electric reverse engaged, which will prevent one from rolling it away. Not that I tried doing that or even locking the forks. Im not even sure you could lock the forks, I wouldn't bother with it anyway. When Im home , it is in the garage and when Im away most of the time is right in front of the room I sleep in.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,651 Posts
if I leave it for a while out of my sight,
I turn the forks to the left, lock them so they can't be turned.

I leave the electric reverse ON, and pull the key out of course.

that bike is not going anywhere....

oh, put it up on the CENTER STAND.....

if you can't roll it ( reverse is on it is impossible to get it off the center stand )

and as I previously mentioned, I cover it up with the rattiest piece of shiit full cover you have ever seen... it has never been bothered, not once.

·
Premium Member
1,976 Posts
John sir, I dont see how having the electric reverse prevents one from taking the bike of center stand. My rear tire is up on the air when I use the center stand. So I would just push it forward and while the bike is dropping it will drag the tire for a bit.

But never mind ,the reason I reply is to question whats up with your NASR 10 link. It takes me to another forum which Im not a member of.
I cannot post in there and I dont see a NASR 10 on our forum.

Just found it but the thread is closed

·
Premium Member
5,117 Posts
Wonder if there are statistics showing how many Goldwings are stolen per year in the United States.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,651 Posts
if you know a good insurance agent, he can look at their database.

·
Premium Member
1,359 Posts
Peter,
I think if you put it on the center stand, lock the forks with the key and leave in reverse it will be very hard to get it off the stand due to the front wheel. If you do get it off, how can you move it?

·
Premium Member
1,359 Posts
3 locks are better than one but hey, I just put it on the center stand, close the garage door and set the house alarm.>:)

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,651 Posts
Lately,

I have been thinking about telling Missy to "Stay! Guard it!"

at 4 months old, she is now weighing about 45 lbs.....
by the time she is 2 years old, she will be as big as my Goldwing :)

this pix is at two months.... she is still lanky like that....
a Great Pyrenees

Attachments

·
Banned
4,568 Posts
My brother installed a blinking red LED in the dash area. Looks enough like an alarm to keep the honest thief away.

·
Premium Member
1,359 Posts
A good horse cost just about as much as a good wing..............then you have to take care of it every day, even if you don't ride. Been there, done that and will never go back!

·
Premium Member
5,117 Posts
A good horse cost just about as much as a good wing..............then you have to take care of it every day, even if you don't ride. Been there, done that and will never go back!
Well you do have a point.

·
Premium Member
1,359 Posts
And then there is security, the horses are usually on some pasture out of town unprotected. Where do you put the key lock and how do you get them up on a center stand? Many problems to consider here.>:)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.