Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

This is an annoying and dangerous problem. The turnsignals cancel too soon when approaching an intersection at high speeds. Harley Davidson seems to be lagging in certain technologies behind Honda but they've got it all over the GW when it comes to turn signals................

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

I think you can disable the auto shutoff. At least you can on the earlier bikes.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Someone asked about this last week. I was not exactly sure and stumbled around a bit. Since I have studied the wiring schematic quite intensely and it seems that if you cut the input wire from the speedometer to the cancel unit that should dis-able the auto-cancel feature on the bike.

You would have to check the manual for different year bikes, but on the 2008 it will be the white wire with black stripe, under the right pocket, off the connector that has a whole lot of wires coming out of it.

I have never done this. Do not intend to, I like the auto feature on the turn signals and it prevents me from the dangerous practice of forgetting about the fact I have a signal on and running down the road for ten miles with it flashing. Also turning on the signal too early can give a driver a false indication that you are going to turn elsewhere than you have in mind, so overall I like the system in place on the bike.

If you do cut it....just cut it with enough room to put a t-connector back on it right quick, do not cut it up close to the connector.

Again I have never done this.....in theory it should work........Kit

·
Best looking member
3,107 Posts
imported post

On my 1500 I put a relay in that when the bike was in 3rd and 4th it would interrupt the signal to the cancel unit, But it still worked in 1st 2nd and 5th. Leaving it on in 1st and 2nd allowed for cancel after a turn, and on in 5th would ensure I would not leave it on too long.

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
imported post

On my 1500 I just hit the switch another time, right before the turn, the second time allows for more signal without having to mess with relays and wiring. Granted, a little longer for the cutoff on the original would be better, but workarounds are my business, so I usually go that route. :)

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
imported post

Yes, I do what NomaticWing said. It's annoying but beats messing with the electronics. My luck I'd fry something.

Good workaround!

Daveo

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
imported post

I have the same problem with cars plowing up behind me while I'm turning. I'm thinking I have my turn signal on but it's already turned off. I feel it's a danger to me and a safety hazard that needs a fix. How about some adjustment; give it more time, whatever but I know it's Honda making the decision how long I should keep the signals on. It has almost caused me serious troubles. I want a fix or some decision in how it works.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
imported post

I want to feel confident the signals are on and stay on while I'm making my turn. I don't have time to worry about this in heavy traffic. I want to disable this on my 2006, hope I can find the wire to put a switch in place. I want the choice to do either. Honda is messing with my life by doing this with no options, more time, always on, normal, (choices make the difference).

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
imported post

I think this is something that definitely needs looking at. I agree that I put my signals on pretty early on a high speed roadway, but this is really a dangerous cancellation mechanism when you are on a curve when making your turn, which I happen to do about three times in my 13 mile commute. It will go off after three blinks sometimes.

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
imported post

It seems to work ok for me but I don't turn the signals on super early around here. That can get you in more trouble than having them turn off early. Since it works off the speedo and is a distance timer maybe a resistor wired in series would change the signal so that it stays on longer. Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
imported post

BobbyB says " Honda is messing with my life by doing this with no options,"

Another option is:

"Pay Attention & hit the darn signal again!!!!!!!!

I know that it turns off too soon,and that I like being alive and not ran over,so I fixed the problem myself.

I tell myself everytime I hit it,to watch when it goes off and hit it again.wow easy fix.......

Not blame Honda.............

Well Officer I knew that this was gonna happen one day,Yes Officer I knew the signal turned off too soon,but That's Honda's fault not mine.

Officer's says well son,if you knew this was a problem and didn't do anything to correct it,than the reason the guy ran over you is partly your fault,

if you knew you had a turn signal light bulb burned out,would that be Honda's fault,the guys fault that ran you over OR your fault ?

Just my 2 cents worth......

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
imported post

Regarding hitting the switch again, I've been riding all my life, and in the middle of a curve, clutching to downshift or coming to a stop with the clutch pulled in while in the middle of a curve waiting for an oncoming car, it is a bit difficult to hit the switch just as the signal stops blinking. In my opinion, the suggestion to hit the switch again is not really much of a fix.

·
Best looking member
3,107 Posts
imported post

I would have thought that you Americans that sue cuz the Mc D's coffee was too hot would be all over Honda for this one. I agree that sometimes when turning and dealing with cars, pedestrians, road hazards and clutching, It can sometimes be hard to hit the button again. Which is why I adjusted mine as mentioned earlier in this topic. On the 1500 when you push the turn signal button you get approximately 10 flashes before it stops, if you don't lean the bike over. It will cycle the 10 flashes no matter when you hit the button. If you are in the 5th or 6th flash of the previous cycle it will flash 10 times from the new button push. I don't know if it's the same on the 1800's. If it is you don't have to look for the last flash, just keep pushing the button every 6 or 7 seconds and it will flash 10 from that point. It is a pain but not nearly as much as being run over would be. But your right, it is something Honda needs to address. That is if they ever really cared about what their customers thought.

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
imported post

kyboy67 wrote:
BobbyB says " Honda is messing with my life by doing this with no options,"

Another option is:

"Pay Attention & hit the darn signal again!!!!!!!!

I know that it turns off too soon,and that I like being alive and not ran over,so I fixed the problem myself.

I tell myself everytime I hit it,to watch when it goes off and hit it again.wow easy fix.......

Not blame Honda.............

Well Officer I knew that this was gonna happen one day,Yes Officer I knew the signal turned off too soon,but That's Honda's fault not mine.

Officer's says well son,if you knew this was a problem and didn't do anything to correct it,than the reason the guy ran over you is partly your fault,

if you knew you had a turn signal light bulb burned out,would that be Honda's fault,the guys fault that ran you over OR your fault ?

Just my 2 cents worth......
Couldn't agree more Tony.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
imported post

I hit my turn signal again because I found the it turned off early when exiting off the Highway. Mines on a GL1200I.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.