Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Zumo 550 that is several years old and needs repair. Looks like I can fix it for about $50 assuming I can successfully replace the digitizer mysel.

I could also replace it with a larger display current generation GPS for maybe $150 plus an appropriate RAM mount.

Looking for comments or input from anyone with experience using a Tom-Tom or Garmin on their bike particualrly if they have some experience with the Zumo.

Specific question is if a newer non motorcycle GPS will be bright enough to see most of the time (even the Zumo needs to be shaded if the sun is right on it).

Also if the "car type" GPS's are reasonably reliable used on a bike.

thx in advance for any help.

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
I replaced my digitizer and glass at the same time. It had cost a couple more $, but it was much easier. My 550 looks like it has been ran over by a truck (actually got ran over by 2 cars and a truck) but still works fine. I'm going to get the lifetime maps, and use it untill I can't use it any more, or something else comes out that I can't resist.

Ride Safe,
Rich

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
I have a Zumo 550 sitting on my bench in the garage. It stopped working, and here in Canada, I'm told there is only one place that will touch it and they are in Quebec. So, now I use the Garmin from my car on the bike. Works just fine, however, very difficult to see in the sunlight and I must rely on "the voice" if I can hear it to make some turns. Great at night tho. As far as reliability, its been just fine, no problems.

BTW, in my opinion, the 550 is outdated and clunky looking as compaired to the sleek, bigger rectangular screens of newer models of Garmin or TomTom but at least I could see my Zumo in sunlight

Speedbird

·
Premium Member
1,232 Posts
I am running maps/GPS in my smartphone. Lifetime updates and use Bluetooth for the voice instructions.

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
I just bought a Garmin Nuvi50 for my bike and it works great. Only drawback is it doesn't have an input that will allow you to hook into your intercom system. Otherwise its great

Wingrider59

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Well, since you asked,
I bought a "re-furbished" Garmin Nuvi 255W from wally world about three years ago for less than $70.00, tax and all.
Figured at that cost if it smoked, I wouldn't be out too much. Have ridden with it on the bike for about three years, used it in my truck and a car as well and works fine.
With the display cranked to 100% no problem reading it outside unless sun is directly shinning on it.
Use a little sandwich bag in the light rain, or take it off in the heavy stuff.
FWIW

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.