Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Here is what I did today it solved my leak from the site glassand also incorporated my other favorite pass time of treasure hunting. If this holds up I'll probably put a barber dime in the clutch master cylinder :cooler:here is a picture of the finished product, needs cleaned a little more but I like it .

Ride Safe, Ray

:action:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,591 Posts
imported post

How much was that dime worth?

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

probably a buck depends on melt values :)

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

Nice Job, I want to see the Barber dime in place.

·
Premium Member
1,356 Posts
imported post

:clapper:I like it to:clapper:

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thanks guys! I want to see the barber dime in there too, just gonna make sure everthing is ok with this prior to me removing glass and all. Took me a hour of preping the coin to fit properly, I used the old coinring makers method to bring the dime to size as I didn't want to distort the dime any more than I had to( site glass hole was .667 and dime was .700).

Thanks Again, Ray

:action:

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

gotta love the wing wrote:
Nice job!:clapper: Did you epoxy it in?
I used JB Weld on her and let it set for 24+ hours.

I have finally decided to put a barber dime in the next time I get a chance and it is raining for 2 days straight. The hardest part is getting the coin to size, not really hard you just need to take it slow and easy so you don't get her out of round beyond repair:)

I'll update when I get it finished:waving:

·
Premium Member
14,148 Posts
imported post

RayandTracy wrote:
The hardest part is getting the coin to size, not really hard you just need to take it slow and easy so you don't get her out of round beyond repair:)
How do you do that?

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

I use a small tack hammer and gently tap the coin while rolling it on its rim(stress tapping no power hits:shock:) take a set om micrometer and measure inside diameter of site glass and measure the coin. Silver is soft and you can form it pretty easy by taking your time. After I got the coin to size I then polish the rim till smooth ( best to leave .004-.01" prior to polishing to allow room for error :) test fit until it fits snugly.

Hope this helps, Ray

:waving:

·
Premium Member
1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
3,467 Posts
imported post

Now THAT'S pretty slick!!! :shock::coollep::coollep:

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
imported post

Hey ray. i thought I was slick for re repairing mine with dimes from the same yar as my bike.

You have a way with things my friend. It looks great.

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

kylesmuskie wrote:
Has anyone ever thought about the purpose of a sight glass ? :D
I was wondering when someone would say that :cheeky1:It is a regular maintance soI'm not too concerned about it :)

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
imported post

I replaced mine with a piece of clear plastic, after letting it set in brake fluid over night to make certain it would handle it.
I do like the touch with the Mercury dime.
Funny how you see things done with coins.
I don't know what happened to it but my dad carried a good luck coin with him. It was a walking libery that someone had taken #8 bird shot and given Lady Liberty a personal adornment!!
How they figured it out I don't know, but when you flipped it over guess what it gave the eagle??

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
imported post

That looks really great. What a good idea.

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

glad it worked for you, just make sure you let everything setup for a while before adding brake fluid:action:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.