Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a way to provide support for a 3x5 foot flag about two or three feet above the Rivco Hitch mounnted flag mount. Its for a 2018 Goldwing and there is not much visible to place an upper support except via some sort of Rube Goldberg contraption on the cargo rack. I may have to go that route, but I would hope for something mildly elegant. Thanks in advance for any help you can render. If you would, please, in addition to a response to this thread, would you kindly email me at [email protected]. I don't think that is against the rules???

·
Premium Member
3,723 Posts
A 3x5 flag is quite a drag aerodynamically speaking, I don't think I would want such supported by a fixed length tether to my travel trunk rack pulling on the whole body of the trunk between the rack & the frame underneath. If I were going to pull such a large flag and tether it, might add flexing support in form of bungie cords from rack to pole … or more likely, I'd look at the frame under the trunk and figure a tether from there, maybe two, even if I added some metal to bring attachment points into easier access. A single tether would not stabilize the pole left to right … but two with one coming from each rear corner area would.

I am not familiar enough with the 1800's trunk mounting to advise further, but I know it would be easy on a 1500.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A 3x5 flag is quite a drag aerodynamically speaking, I don't think I would want such supported by a fixed length tether to my travel trunk rack pulling on the whole body of the trunk between the rack & the frame underneath. If I were going to pull such a large flag and tether it, might add flexing support in form of bungie cords from rack to pole … or more likely, I'd look at the frame under the trunk and figure a tether from there, maybe two, even if I added some metal to bring attachment points into easier access. A single tether would not stabilize the pole left to right … but two with one coming from each rear corner area would.

I am not familiar enough with the 1800's trunk mounting to advise further, but I know it would be easy on a 1500.
Thanks for the input. All your points are valid and I am familiar with most especially the dual tether issue. In addition, the tether is not just to support the stress of the air passing over the flag, it is also required to stop the rebound of the flag off of the tether stopping motion to the rear. In short, it has to be stiff. My problem is that the 2018 GW is covered in plastic on the rear of the bike and I need to do a better job of searching to see if there is any passage to a solid mounting spot.without drilling the plastic. I was also hoping that another rider had had the same issue and had found a solution. Thanks for your help.
Gus

1 - 3 of 3 Posts