Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi guys,

Forgive me if this has been covered already, couldn't find anything with a perfunctory search. I'm sure somebody here flies the Flag from the back of their Wing, be it the U.S. flag or any other. Wondering what the mechanics are that you used. Seems I can spend a coupleof hundred bucks with an online company for a custom bracket setup, or maybe I can devise something. There's a pic of MY bike next to this post. It's an 81full dress Interstate with light bars, bumper,and a (ball) trailerhitch. I want to be able to fly a 3' x 5' flag from it at low speed. Ideas welcome, maybe a pic or two if you have such a set up of your own.

Thanks! Happy trails!:byebye:

Minnesota Tom

:11brown:

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

A lot of the PGR members I ride with that have Harleys make their own flag mounts. I'll see if I can find you some pics to look at. A couple of companies make plates that mount just underneath the trailer hitch ball and don't interfere with pulling a trailer.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks, Michael!

No real rush sincethe Wing is now in hibernation at the back of the garage hiding under it's sheets, but I'd like to get it ready for next season. Looking at it yesterday, the hitch ball is removable (of course)and once unbolted would leave a flat chrome mounting plate with a hole in it sticking out behind the bike. Thinking since I don't pull a trailer (I bought the bikewith the hitch in place) I can probablyutilize that hole some way. I'll look forward to pics. Thanks!

T

:11brown:

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

I haven't found any good pics online yet so I'll get some at the next big PGR event I go on in the next couple of weeks. In the mean time there are some companies that make some decent flag poles that mount under the lid of a trunk kinda like car window flag poles do and they don't cost that much.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Bagmaster wrote:
....I'll get some at the next big PGR event I go on in the next couple of weeks...... :doh:
Wish I could still ride.... :snowman:

Thanks, Michael. Look forward to it.

Tom

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Well, I finally got some pics of large flag mounts , mostly on Harleys. They'll give you an idea at least as to the different types of material they used and alternate locations. There are some PGR members riding Wings and have flags mounts but I haven't run across them lately.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
imported post

ralphkramden wrote:
Bagmaster wrote:
....I'll get some at the next big PGR event I go on in the next couple of weeks...... :doh:

Tom
Come on down to Florida;) Had to do that to ya Tom... Can't believe -32F..:realshocked: geez. Anyway, one of our PGR Chaplainshas a kinda neat setup. He took a piece of aluminum or steel plate and attached it(drilled) to the underside of the ball. Then he drilled a larger hole in the plate that a 2" or3" long or so a pipe nipple would fit through. On the underside, he put a cap on it. On the top he put a pipe reducer fitting on the nipple and screwed it down. The nipple was like 1/2" or 3/4" pipe and the reducer was like 1 1/2" to 1/2" or 3/4" so you had the bigger end on top. He then put a 12" or so piece of pipe in the large end of the reducer and screwed it down. He used a piece of pvc for the flag poleand just stuck it into the pipe. Worked great. Think he had a pin of some kind thru the pipe and the pole to keep it from jumping out. He had a Wing like mine so we were comparing and didn't really get an engineering drawing of the thing but I think you get the idea.

Take care and stay warm...

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

OldMtMan wrote:
ralphkramden wrote:
Bagmaster wrote:

Tom
Come on down to Florida;) Had to do that to ya Tom... Can't believe -32F..:realshocked: geez. Anyway, one of our PGR Chaplainshas a kinda neat setup. He took a piece of aluminum or steel plate and attached it(drilled) to the underside of the ball. Then he drilled a larger hole in the plate that a 2" or3" long or so a pipe nipple would fit through. On the underside, he put a cap on it. On the top he put a pipe reducer fitting on the nipple and screwed it down. The nipple was like 1/2" or 3/4" pipe and the reducer was like 1 1/2" to 1/2" or 3/4" so you had the bigger end on top. He then put a 12" or so piece of pipe in the large end of the reducer and screwed it down. He used a piece of pvc for the flag poleand just stuck it into the pipe. Worked great. Think he had a pin of some kind thru the pipe and the pole to keep it from jumping out. He had a Wing like mine so we were comparing and didn't really get an engineering drawing of the thing but I think you get the idea.

Take care and stay warm...
Next time you see him at a PGR event try to get some detailed pics and some measurements. Sounds like something I could put together in an afternoon.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
imported post

I don't see him often but I'll see what I can do. In the mean time go play in Home Depot plumbing one afternoon.
I just use a piece of 1 1/4" pvc bolted with a cut "I" hook to the crash guard in the heel of the pass. foot rest and a radiator hose clamp around the pass. hand hold. Put my 1" pvc flag pole in it.
Works for me.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
imported post

I mount a 3/4" length of PVC pipe about 4' longwith a cap on the bottom to the end of the center stand and left passenger grab with heavy duty cable ties and hose clamps. My flag pole isa 7' length of 1/2" metal conduit that fits inside of the PVC pipe. I cut a notch in the PVCthe width of a hose clamp that I tighten to secure the conduit. My flag has metal key rings with hose clamps that I use to secure it to the conduit.

So far it works well except the passenger floorboard must be up. This used to bother my wife until I got pegs for her.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sorry to be late in the conversation but I was having the same issue and wanted the flags (US flag and USMC flag) on all the time. I ended up with the flags on my antenna (5X7 inch flags) and here is what I used. I went to Ace Hardware and they use a simple plastic clip to keep their display items on the long hooks pushed to the front. These clips fit perfectly over the flag and the antenna so that the flag still spins in the wind but does not fly off the antenna. I used 2 on each flag. On the CB side (the antenna with the black capacitor) I had to cut the seam on the flag because it would not slip over the capacitor and sew it back on and use the clips to keep it in place so that both flags fly at the same height when on the road (level to the bottom of the black capacitor). Works perfectly except at very high speeds (over 80 mph) and then they tend to bunch up a little but do stay in place. Has not cause any radio reception issues either. CHEAP FIX - the clips were free from my friend at Ace who says they get a bag of 1000 for less than 10 bucks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.