Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Help, Please. I have a '98 GL1500 Asp. My right turn signal stopped working. We checked the fuses and the fuse was blown. I put in another fuse.... gone again. We pulled the seat and all plastic up to the front turn signals and the rear trunk. The turn signal relay was burnt out. Bought a new one and .... burnt that out too. Why don't I learn. The wire White with green stripe is where the burn/melted relay was. The side that melted was the side with the metal wire that you can see to the left side. The other two leads go into a circuit board. Low and behold this relay still works even with the case melted. I checked all 4 bulbs and all look perfect plus we exchanged each from the right side to the left side and the bulbs work fine. We pulled both right side bulbs and the relay still started to burn again. Getting back to the fuse, the fuse blows only when we hit the 4 way flasher button. The fuse does not blow when we just turn on the right turn signal. Again, the left turn signal is working perfect. The 4 way relay seems to be fine, it is the flasher relay that burns up. One last clue, when I turn on the Left turn signal every thing works normal, when I turn on the right turn signal all the lights on the bike go dim then normal, dim then normal. It is like the flasher relay is operating all the lights a bit. Even the bulbs for the right turn signal show just a small drop of light as it should be flashing. I don't know where to go from here or how to check what is wrong. Any help would be appriciated. Thanks guys.

·
Administrator
26,567 Posts
imported post

Pretty obvious there is a short in the wiring to the right turn signals (blue). Do you have a trailer connector? Check in the bulb sockets also, they can melt and short out.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

There is no trailer connector. We pulled out both bulbs on the right side. Flicked the right turn signal on and all the bulbs on the bike got a drop dimmer, then brighter, then dimmer as if the turn signal was working through the whole bike just not as strong as on, off, on, off. Oh, I also checked the sockets and they look pristine. The bike only has 10K on it and was garage kept and looked it.

·
Administrator
26,567 Posts
imported post

You need to disconnect each light separately and try it to isolate the problem and if no success go to the 22 pin yellow connector below the left rear of the seat.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

We have done each light separately. What should I do with the 22 pin yellow connector, just make sure it is plugged in all the way? What did you mean there is a short to the right turn signal blue? The bike is at my buddy's house so I can't check it right now. Is there a blue wire you suspect is shorted out? Thanks for the help. We have been pulling and pushing and making sure everything was connected for 2 days now. I will check the yellow connector tomorrow.

·
Administrator
26,567 Posts
imported post

Check the connector for melted wires and disconnect it to see if the short goes away.
The wire color for the right turn signals is light blue, a short to ground is what the problem is, what you are looking for is somewhere on the light blue wire it is touching a ground wire or metal.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

Just a guess, but does the bike have the aftermarket wiring harness, that makes turn signals out of the lights on the sides of the trunk?... I had a short in mine recently, and it had similar sympton as yours:

Right signal did not work, and either slightly iluminated the rt turn signal indicator, and/or blew a fuse (but did not burn the relay); wiring harness (to the trunk lights) was burned up.

As a general method to locate a short, I diconnect the "lowest branch on the tree" (eg harness closest to the relay box) then start connecting the "outer branches" until a fuse blows... At that point you can often quickly narrow down which section of wiring is the culprit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.