Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Howdy:

My motorcycle ran over a nail and the rear tire has a slow leak. Is it possible to patch the tire, or better to replace?

Thank you for your input. I'm sure the local dealer is going to tell me to do whatever is most expensive.

Take care,

Glenn

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
imported post

I had that happen on a fairly new back tire so I got a plug kit at Walmart and plugged it. Probably not the smart thing to do but I ran it for 3 or 4 years that way. But I also didn't do any high speed riding either. If it's not a huge hole, you should be ok.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks, P Yanney:

What's your definition of high speed riding? I seldom creep past 70mph.

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
imported post

I would feel safe at 70 but I don't think 90 - 100 for very long on 485.Others may differ. I see you are at Harrisburg. That's about 30 minutes from my house in south Charlotte.We should meet up for a ride some time. My bike is going down for a paint job real soon. Paul

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
imported post

Just before reaching the Fla. / Ga. state line on I75 while heading to Calhoun for the meet and greet I had my tire go down slowly. I caught it before it went flat. I plugged it and aired it back up and finished our trip.

Well that was in Sept. It was on a Bridgestone that had half the tread left and the hole was in the beefy part of the tire, not near the sidewall.

Now I've had to replug it once because the tread is about gone from miles. I'm looking to order another one tomorrow to replace it.

Look at your tire and use your own judgement. Is it near the side wall? Is the tire about shot anyway? Will you feel safe on the tire if you plug it?

I don't know if you're going to do the change yourself or let the "stealer" do it. I was quoted prices double what I could get a tire for at americanmototire and I told everyone I called, I'm changing the tire myself.

Tires threads around here are like oil and women. Everyone has a different opinion and the one that matters is yours.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Hey, Lost, Dunlop E-3's are on sale till the end of the month, 40% off at http://www.cheapcycleparts.com

I love mine!!! Takes about 2 weeks to get them as they order them direct from Dunlop then re-ship them to you. No out of date tires that way.

I had a plugged tire on my rear that started leaking while at Calhoun, aired it up at Walmart sunday morning and it made it all the way home with no problem.

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
imported post

Thanks for the heads up Sheriff.

Even with 40 % off, it's hard to be americanmototire.

I'm in the wrong business. I could buy tires at americanmototire and sell them for less than the dealers around here and still make a good profit. Both the Metzler and Dunlop tires were over $215.00 each at the local stealers.

·
Premium Member
4,401 Posts
imported post

nightwizard40 wrote:
Nice bike!!:)
Yeah, we should form a club!:cheeky1::action:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
62,122 Posts
imported post

I think it's like how big was the nail.. I picked up a large one, plugged the hole and went about 300 miles.. Then it blew the plug out at 70mph.. Quite a trip trying to stop..
If the tire's new and has a lot of tread I'd patch it from the inside, If it's 1/2 gone, junk it.. You can't imagine what a pain in the a$$ it is to try to fix a flat in the middle of no where at 100+ degrees.. Been there done that, 4 hours later I was on the way home............

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Patching a bike tire. Well you really do not have much choice beside the road you have to do something. No one is real enthused about taking the wheel off beside the road, or at least I am not.

So for emergency , and to get off the road , put a plug in it.

Thing is bike tires are thinner than automobile tires and do not seem to like to hold a plug well. If the tire is new and the hole is small, sometimes it will take the plug and the plug will set to the tire and be there until the tire is worn out. If the tread is a bit thin, the plug will hold for a time, but you can be almost sure it will start leaking again, so now you play with it some more, the hole gets bigger and the plug is very unreliable. Not real safe either.

It is best to plug them, then when you get to where you can work on them , take the tire off, inspect it inside and if not ripped or torn inside, put a hot patch on the tire from the inside, that will fix it for good. And at the price tires are getting up to lately, this I would think will become a more common practice again. I looked at the price of tires last week and they are getting up there.

Kit

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
imported post

I tend to agree with Kit, I would patch it to get it to service or to get it home, but personally, although I don't like to have to spend the extra money I usually don't have, I wouldn't feel safe riding daily with a plug in my tire on a bike, You loose one wheel, you only got one left:gunhead:

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

I have to agree with Kit on the prices. I checked the link I posted and even though they are still on sale I noticed the sale prices were up since I bought mine 3 months ago by at least 20 bucks.

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
imported post

Properly installed plugs have been good to me. As mentioned I wouldn't try it on a sidewall puncture but for a clean, round hole in the tread I'll plug. I only mess with an inside patch if it's larger than a nail and not round. Hit a flat piece of steel once that tore the tire pretty good and that one needed a patch on the inside.

Of course, if you don't know how to plug properly and/or qualify the damage the safe bet is to replace.

During 30+ years riding I've had 7 rear flats at speed, not one was ever a result of plug, patch or the cheapo JC Whitney tires I use. Last count, on my 13th rear tire for the GL. Don't go through 'em like I used to but there was a time I was buying 2-3 per year.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

Thanks everyone for your input!!!

I've only got about 1,000 miles on the tire and the nail is in a beefy part of the tread. I'll try a plug and see how it goes. Can't bring myself to spend $200+ again if a plug is worth a try.

Appreciate seeing all the other folks with the same bike. I haven't seen many in my area of the same vintage and color.

Happy Holidays Everyone!!!

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Get the new style mushroom type plugs that install with a gun style insert tool. With the glue on it it will seal on the inside similar to a flat patch.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.