Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Ok so what do you do when you find yourself with a flat tire out in the middle of nowhere on the highway? What should I take along to make a temp fix?

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
imported post

A plug kit with the CO2 canisters. Works perfect for me and has saved my butt on three different occassions.

·
Banned
596 Posts
imported post

Nealey Co. tire repair kit:

Nealey Co.144409 Buena Vista DriveUrbandale Iowa50323 1-800-289-9781

Kit = $9.95, 10repair cords $7.95

Best repair Ive seen bar none. Commercial quality kit, has chemical impregnated rope and insertion tool. It plugs so it cannot come out and inserts from the outside. Forms a plug on the inside. Permanent repair on car, truck and ag equipment. Father in law turned me onto this kit, he uses their kit on the farm.

yes, also carry a Co2 kit for inflation.

Its OK to ride on a repaired rear tire but NEVER ride on a repaired front tire any farther than necessary, it could get you hurt badly. Not too hard to ride on a flat rear, it just gets very mushy, but if a front tire goes away (i.e. a broken cord after a puncture) it loses control.

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks Dave, I just sent in my order. I also emailed you yesterday about getting that wiring harness.. Did you get it?

Harry

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

Like the others said, a plug kit and a source of air should be adequate with tubeless tires.

For those with 75-77 Goldwings, however, you'd need to repair or replace the inner tube. This requires the ability to remove the wheel on the side of the road,probably a bead-breaker to unseat the tire bead from the rim, tire irons to remove one side of the tire from the rim, a spare inner tube or patch kit, and a source of air. For the air I carry CO[suB]2[/suB] canisters and an inflator, plus a small bicycle pump to top it off or fine-tune the pressure (also nice to have if you run out of CO[suB]2[/suB]).

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Ok I'll send it again via my regular email account..

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Hey can you yanks get Punctureseal in the states. :clapper:

This is what most m/cyclists use

:weightlifter:and according to my neighbour he has it fitted in

his:18red:and has got a number of punctures down

through the yrs, but punctureseal seals the hole

immediately :jumper: you can see the little pink mark

when checking your tyres. :skipping:

:leprechaun: :18red: :leprechaun:

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
imported post

airbeat wrote:
Ok so what do you do when you find yourself with a flat tire out in the middle of nowhere on the highway? What should I take along to make a temp fix?
Harry, I presume your 86 1200A has an onbord air pump? If so, test it occasionally to be sure it will switch the air output to the external hose fitting. In that case you won't have to carry any co2 cylinders or additional air... Most any of the commercial tire repair plug kits will work fine but the furnished glue tends to dry out & harden if left in hot side bags, so replace the glue (or at least check it) every so often.. I also carry a small plastic bottle of liquid soap & water mix as that allows a small leak to be located easily.. It also gives you something to clean your hands with after the repair... I had to make a tire repair late last year & found the repair difficult due to being late at night & my small flash light wasn't bright enough & the batteries were fading due to not being replaced regularly.. I have since made a very bright trouble light using a small automotive halogen fog light & wires with clips to hook directly to the M/C battery (very bright & easy to set on the ground & aim at the repair area).. It isn't fun or easy laying on your side trying to repair a flat rear tire at night..

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Yes it's generally available everywhere. I just don't care for it myself.Last time I used one on a car the dang stuff shot all over the valve stem and made a mess. The can didn't have enough air to inflate the tire either. Of course it was in the trunk for two years..........

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Great Suggestions JD!:D I will be sure to have a good light source with me. I drive a lot at night too!!

Harry

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
imported post

Harry, I should have also mentioned in my first post to carry a yellow (or other bright color) China marker or Crayon to mark the puncture with so you can find it with the plug probe.. A puncture can be very hard to find & poke the plug probe through at night if it isn't highlighted first.. I cut a China marker in half then carry it like that, then peel it back when I need to use it, that way it doesn't get all over everything in my tool pouch..

JDC

·
Banned
596 Posts
imported post

I think it might be a good time to enlist JDC to Guru ranks. That is if Redwings dog Shep and JDCs kitty cat dont have spats.

Yeah, JDC is right, you should have a working air pump on that Aspencade, thats what its there for. Prevents going for help due to a flat and coming back to where it used to be parked. :shock:

Just was always so hard to connect that hose and ride very far, it kept coming off the wheel!

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

I do have the onboard compressor and found a hose on sabrecycles web site. Will order one today.

Bad news today..:( Co-worker of mine tried to avoid a possum the other night and laid it down on the highway. Result, possum no injury, co-worker two broken legs and bike serious but stable.

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
imported post

airbeat wrote:
I do have the onboard compressor and found a hose on sabrecycles web site. Will order one today.

Bad news today..:( Co-worker of mine tried to avoid a possum the other night and laid it down on the highway. Result, possum no injury, co-worker two broken legs and bike serious but stable.

Harry, if you haven't ordered yet you might try E-Bay, those air hoses come up all the time for usually under $10.00.

Here's one that's on E-Bay now--

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4530602577&category=35580

Sorry to hear about your co-worker & glad he did at least survive the encounter. I had a close friend that hit a raccoon a couple of years ago& trashed his bike, he did fairly good due to having decent leathers on at the time. That seems to happen a lot in my area due to many small critters crawling across the road at night.

Most can be avoided, or at least hit without incident if the person would just not look at the offending animal.. Most people just stare at the critter until they manage to hit it, or stare at it while trying to steer around it & that is a sure way to go down. Personally I haven't had many problems with small animals but I live in an area with a very high Deer concentration & those things are BIG problems for bikers riding at night. I have had a couple of real close calls on those 4 footed rats with hooves & now run extra long range lights & tend to ride slower at night on the back roads.

JDC

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

I'll check that out on Ebay JD thanks. My friend did have his leathers on and it really saved his hide. Also he had a large crack in his helmet that most likely saved his life! Gotta get me a good set of leathers myself.

Harry

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

airbeat wrote:
Around here there are skid marks on the roads where cagers go out of their way to squash the nasty things. Some southern idiots introduced thembefore WWIINW so they could hunt them. Now we are overrun with them. Ugly critters, if you accidentally corner one in your garage it's not nice. I need to get a .410, 12ga is too rough on the carpentry in the garage!

:whip:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.