Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I am rebuilding the carbs on my 1980 GL1100 and broke one of the float bowl drain screws. It is way beyond any reasonable means of repair. Does anyone know where I can find a new (or old) one? i have checked with motorcycle salvage yards and they won't separate them from the carbs they have. Honda will only sell the entire float bowl, gasket and screw as a kit for over $100. Does anyone have any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
imported post

Have you tried a local parts supply place. If you had another screw to compare with you just might get lucky. Something like Fastenal or even Granger if you have one local. I can understand someone not wanting to sell a bolt off of a sellable carb also. you would think honda would give you an idea of where to find one.

Best of luck to you, Ray

:waving:

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
imported post

Just so I am clear on your problem, were you able to remove the broken part of the screw from the bowl? If so, then are you only looking for a drain screw? I've got an old set of 1200 carbs, and if the screws are interchangeable, I'd be glad to mail you one... Or, you might taking removing one of the other drain screws and taking it to Lowe's or Home Depot and having them check for you. I've had quite a bit of success finding screws and bolts at my local Lowe's store..

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

Go to Ace and replace with a regular bolt..if you have a drill press you could drill in the ports to make it a true drain but why bother..

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thanks for the replys.

I was able to get the broken piece out pretty easy since everything is so clean. I just don't understand why it broke. I didn't tighten it very hard for it to brake like it did.

Chester - I would be interested in getting one from you if they are compatible. Does anyone know? I don't want to waist you time and effort if it won't work.

I saw the ones listed on ebay but they are for a GL1000. I am fairly confident that they will not work. Why are GL1000 drain screws so available but GL1100 screws can't be found anywhere?

I haven't thought about using a regular screw as they don't have the holes drilled in them like the OEM part does. What affect would this have on normal running? If it just affects the draining then maybe I could live with that.

Thanks for all your help everyone!

/Phil

·
Premium Member
1,474 Posts
imported post

babo4, don't see as it could effect anything except the convenience of the drain, loosen verses remove. Steel screw would corrode but a brass one of the same length should work ok. Might have to use a flat soft washer as a seal instead of the oring?? :waving:Keno

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
imported post

The drain screws have holes only so that they will drain when you open the screw a few turns without removing the screw. This is to avoid having to rethread it in. Most are in difficult access areas.

IMHO - Find a brass bolt or screw of the same thread, similar length and roll a slightly smaller o-ring up to the head and install. It will work fine. I've done this on the mikuni's on my snowmobile as the drain screws are hard to find.

·
Slow Learner
1,485 Posts
imported post

After you get it fixed just use some Seafoam once in a while and you'll never have to drain those carbs so you won't care. IMHO

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
imported post

Babo4.........I have one out of an 81 1100 that I can send you also if the others don't pan out or if you don't want to run a "bolt" in the float bowl. Send me an Address and I'll get it on its way asap.

worknfool
81 GL1100 Standard

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.