Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I am wondering if the PO really blew the Float level this bad.. the Calipers are set at 21 mm and the tab hits about 41 mm.. I notice there is really not much float movement if I adjust the tab to 21mm .. there is only about a 1/16 movement of the float..

could I be confused and the level is measured with the float up and the needle closed. At the 21 mm height the float is parallel with the body of the float.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

That float appears to be closed too much. It's supposed to be level with the edge of the float bowl all along it's length, not at an angle. Check out this link on how to adjust them correctly.

http://www.randakks.com/TechTip33.htm

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks BagMaster I really was confused by the manual's on this procedure. Ok now I perfectly understand. only about 2mm under the tang..

2 floats were stuck on the bottom of the Bowls because the limit tang was to much.. Thanks again..

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,154 Posts
imported post

That's what I used to do also.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
imported post

drking wrote:
i alway's hold the carb's upside down to make the adjustment's am i doing it wrong?
They should be held just off vertical so the weight of the float is against the needle but not that the spring inside the needle is compressed.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

k1w1t1m wrote:
drking wrote:
i alway's hold the carb's upside down to make the adjustment's am i doing it wrong?
They should be held just off vertical so the weight of the float is against the needle but not that the spring inside the needle is compressed.
Correct and that's how Randall shows them done on that link I posted.

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
imported post

one problem is the clymer book specifies 21mm doesn't say gl1100 is 15.5 so guess what i am having dinner them removing my carb's setting the float's to 15.5

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
imported post

drking wrote:
one problem is the clymer book specifies 21mm doesn't say gl1100 is 15.5 so guess what i am having dinner them removing my carb's setting the float's to 15.5
Yep. The Clymer book is pretty useless. However if you read the '80 and later section it does actually say 15.5mm

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
imported post

Please note: the 15.5 mm is measured from the rim where the float bowl attaches not the gasket surface.

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
imported post

In the picture you show, the carb is in the wrong up position. Floats have to hang down, not up. If you try and adjust them in the position you show they will be wrong.

The needle & seat have to be above the floats, so they can hang down. The link posted shows the correct position.

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
imported post

Bagmaster wrote:
k1w1t1m wrote:
drking wrote:
Correct and that's how Randall shows them done on that link I posted.
there was somewhere mentioned on one forum not sure where
something about setting the float's on the gl1100 different then the 1000, not from the gasket rim of the carb. is there any diffenence, haven't taken my carb's out yet.
thank's bagmaster

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
imported post

I am setting floats on a gl1000 now.Did you end up setting the floats at 21mm?
I too noticed that at 21mm the float is almost touching the body of the carb.:?
I'm leaning towards setting the float height parallel with the gasket surface.

Oops my bad,I just realized there were replies to this post which clearly spell out my
solution.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.