Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

DRIVERS FLOOR BOARDS

Can anyone advise if these are a good idea or not and can they be installed easily by a "challenged" mechanic.

If they are a good idea..can they be picked up used or only as OEM....thanks :praying:

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
imported post

I have boards on my 94SE, and like them. Have more leg room and movement. I moved mine to the lower setting. I do sometimes scrape on a turn, but not much. Only thing I don't like is having to lift my foot to use brakes. I practice moving quick in case I ever need to.
Easy to install. Can be found used on EBay.

·
Premium Member
3,311 Posts
imported post

Well this question will draw a variety of answers. There are those who love them and those who hate them. My 1500 had some floorboards on it when I bought it but I took them off. Not because they were not comfortable to ride with... they are. They made mine scrub the pavement easily when cornering.. too easily. Just didn't like them for that reason mainly but also I didn't like the rinky-dink linkage to the shifter. Seems like it puts undue strain on the shifter shaft. Some members think it causes you to ride with your foot on the shifter linkage and that wears out the shift forks in your transmission.

With that said, it is still up to you whether you want them. I don't care for them but you might love them.

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
imported post

i have a set of markland floor boards for the 1500....i can send pics if you are interested. dont know what it would take to ship them to you from kansas.

·
Premium Member
1,783 Posts
imported post

I have the older hi/lo adjustables from Markland - I've had them on for a long time and I really love them - very comfortable for me... I do scrape them in the turns, especially when running "The Dragon" ;)

Here's a few photos of them in their low position...

Les

Left Side

Right Side

·
mr irrelevant
2,205 Posts
imported post

If you know your gonna be doing the twisties, air up the rear shock...solves the scraping problem unless your really goin crazy. I have set just like that and mine wont rub long as air is above 40lbs in rear shocks...very comfortable and I dont have any issues riding with my left foot on shifter...you would intentionally have to do that and with all that foot room dont see why would want to!!!

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

I picked up a 1500 this summer with boards. Hated them first week but like them now. The only thing that needs addressing is the brake pedal. as you can see in dazboy's pic it is to small and hard to find.
when you ride in traffic you find you rest your heal on the heal rest to have your brake toe ready. It really needs a large pedal like on the harleys. that's my main mod for the winter bigger pedal.
wilf

·
Premium Member
1,783 Posts
imported post

I run the Progressives around #40 PSI when my granddaughter and I are 2-up on the Dragon and she's only about 100 pounds dripping wet, but we get pretty aggressive on some of the turns... Took a big chunk out of my air horns on the run below :shock:

Les

·
Premium Member
1,381 Posts
imported post

I just put a set of Markland boardson my 93 SE and so far,Ilove em. I scrape a lot but don't care. I like the added room and the movement I have with my feet now. I have a set of Kuryakyn pads on the case savers and I can put my heels on the boards and my toes on the pegs and thats a great comfort. I find the hardest part to get used to is having to put my heel on the rest to use the brake. Its different and I did quite a bit of back road cruising, like back and forth to work, to get used to them.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
imported post

Love my floorboard and with practice you can learn to ride with your heel on the heel rest and not have to lift your foot.

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
imported post

I noticed another problem with the boards. I can't see the sidestand when it's down. I had to learn to look at the light, and I also drag my foot under to make sure it's up. It just bugs me to have the engine die when I put it in gear.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

Some love them, some hate them.

I have ridden quite a few bikes with them, and can't stand them - even for a few miles.

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
imported post

I liked them when I had them on my old `91 Aspencade. Right before the transmision gave out. The linkage on the shifter with floor boards is just to vague. I won`t put them on my `98 S.E. Like the positive shifter action without the boards now. Plus the boards were always grinding on the corners.
Gumbyred

·
Premium Member
1,381 Posts
imported post

rgbeard wrote:
Some love them, some hate them.

I have ridden quite a few bikes with them, and can't stand them - even for a few miles.
You said a mouthful there. I have em on my VTX and L O V E them. I did'nt know about the wing and did'nt want to spend the big bucks to find out I did'nt like them. I got lucky and found a guy right here where I live that had TWO setsand he let me try them first. I did'nt like the way the footpeg hit on my leg at a stop. I had to move my foot forward or backward to find a comfortable spot. So far the ONLY thing that is hard to get used to is the brake. But I can get used to it. I LOVE the way I can rest my heel on the board and put my toe on the Kury pegs. I have plenty of room to move my feet and legs around. Can't wait to try them on a long trip next summer.

·
Premium Member
1,783 Posts
imported post

It does seem to be either a love or hate relationship with floorboards... Many of the things some members said are very true - they scrape in even a mildly leaning turn, you can't see the side stand, and I guess some other comments as well, but aside form all that I love mine, and have had them on my 93 Aspy for years...

I suspect if I ever upgrade to a different bike, I'll have them on there too...

Les

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.