Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Looking for some advice and experience with a little bit of opinion tossed in for good measure. I'm trying to decide between going with the Kuryakyn full-size floor boards with heel toe shifter, or with the mini-boards with heel toe. I'll list my concerns and hopefully some of you can back them (or disprove them):

* heel/toe shifter: I would like to be able to up-shift without drooping my 11 1/2 boot down low and scraping it on tight corners. I think that the heel toe setup would solve that problem UNLESS my boot would not fit comfortably between the shifter ends.

* Full-size floorboards: http://www.wingstuff.com/pgroup_detail/2624
I'd love the extra room to move around on, BUT are they positioned too far aft so that I wouldn't be able to comfortably use their full length? The other concern is the width. Are they so wide that they become an issue in moderately high leaning turns?

* Mini-floorboards: http://www.wingstuff.com/pgroup_det.../232_goldwing_Footpeg_Floorboards/des/?page=2

Do they provide enough support, and can I still use a heel toe shifter with them installed?

I like the look of the mini's a bit more, but am not sure they would be large enough to make a difference.

Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
imported post

I've installed the full-size with heel/toe and for me (size 13) it's the only way to go. I do drag them on the corners occasionally, and I'm a mild-mannered driver. Can't speak to the minis.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

You do not want the little mini ones. For one thing the actual heel/toe is totally in the way with the little ones.

The long ones do have adequate room for your feet.

As for their width and hitting in sharp leans, my opinion on that is if you are scraping the pegs or the floorboards, you need to learn to hold a better line in the curves and counter steer the bike, not lean it over just cause it is fun. I see folks scrape the pegs at 30 mph , only because the bike is capable of doing this, but really no need for it.

And if you are scraping the boards at high speed, time to slow down, that way you can enjoy many years of riding, one sure thing is push the limits and maybe not today, but maybe tomorrow, it will happen.

Kit

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

gido wrote:
I've installed the full-size with heel/toe and for me (size 13) it's the only way to go. I do drag them on the corners occasionally, and I'm a mild-mannered driver. Can't speak to the minis.
Gido, I noticed that your avatar is not a GL1800. Are the floorboards you have the Kuryakyns? My next concern would be, are they the same size as the Kuryakyns for the 1800.

As for scraping, it happens. Counter-steering produces lean, which in turn, causes the bike to track one direction or the other. At what angle a board or peg will scrape is a simple matter of:
1) distance of protruding object to ground.
2) distance of a protruding object from the frame

I just don't want any protruding object precluding me from taking a moderate lean angle. Floorboards are more forgiving, as they fold up easily. It's just a bit startling to scrape unless you are used to doing it routinely. I, for one, rarely scrape, so it always spooks me.:shock:

Thanks for the inputs and I'd still like to hear from others on this matter. Does anyone else agree that the mini-boards would interfere with using the heel/toe?

·
Premium Member
1,846 Posts
imported post

I have a 1200 with the markland floorboards that are very comfortable while drivine. I dont do a lot of heavy leaning so I get a lot of scraping. I only wear a 9 1/2 but the H/T shifter fits well. Only concern is with the brake, I have to totally lift my foot off the FB to step on the brake, otherwise I really like them:action::action:

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
imported post

Interesting commentary. I'm 6'1" with long legs and size 13 feet:(. I tried hard to like a Valk (stunning lookers) but couldn't get my feet in harmony with the gearshift and brake pedal. When I bought the Wing, I had the dealer install a set of fully adjustable Kuryakin highway boards on the engine guards and the net effect was sort of like chrome-plating a low-wing monoplane:dude: I'm still coming to terms with the cornering capabilities of the new ride and promptly scraped one of the Kuryakin outriggers last Sunday doing a 90 degree corner from a stopsign:shock: Have now adjusted same to raise the heel of the board from an up-rake to near horizontal. Now if the weather will ever cooperate, we'll see how it goes. But in the final analysis, I don't think I could ever do any serious distance on the Wing without being able to stretch out a bit.

The other lesson learned was that I couldn't use my Frankenstein-weight motorcycle boots with the Wing--no clearance for gearshifting. Went back to my more demure :Dlightweight highway shoes (street boots) and they work well.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Fenry,
Had to chuckle at your outrigger story, but I can imagine it was no laughing matter when it happened to you. I've been tinkering with my ErgoII highway pegs since replacing the long dog-bone bars with the short offsets. I have them level, but facing aft, but it looks like I can probably go one notch down and still have enough vertical clearance to avoid any asphalt etching on turns.

BTW, I'm a retired USN airdale as well. Like your sig line!

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
imported post

Imnotlost wrote:

Thanks for the inputs and I'd still like to hear from others on this matter. Does anyone else agree that the mini-boards would interfere with using the heel/toe?
Imnot-

I looked hard but can't find the recent post that someone (who had installed the full floorboards) made saying they interfered with his(her?) feet during parking/backing/sidestand operations. I had full Cobra boards on my 1100 Spirit with no problems, but as that bike has forward controls, that's a steed of a different color.:)

Good luck and fly safe;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.