Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello friends. I'm thinking of adding floorboards and a heel toe shifter to my new to me '08. They were on my 1500 when I bought it and immediately discovered they scrape the ground much sooner than the oem footpegs. I've seen some heel toe shifters w/o floorboards but some do not like the position of the pedals. I like to lay into the corners but I love to heel shift. I'm looking for feedback/advise on what systems are recommended and what to stay away from. In a perfect world I'd like running boards w/heel/toe without sacrificing ground clearance. If that animal doesn't exist, what heel/toe shifters are best? Thanks as always!

·
Administrator
58,461 Posts
My experience with floorboards was extremely negative, here is why.

I had just bought my '98SE a few days before this happened, down in Tampa, FL.
after a friend toured me all around his part of the world, I headed up I-75 and on my way back home in Arizona. Mind you, I had owned a '94SE for years, so I am not new to a 1500.

I'm an hour up I-75 coming up on a slower moving horse trailer in the right lane.
I move over to the left lane, no traffic in front, or behind us for as far as I could see.

All is well, I'm groovin to my new ride when I see the trailer's left front tire explode and the whole carcass starts in my direction. I slowed down some, but less than 2 seconds from "boom" and that tire carcasee hits the front of my bike.

the bike just shook it off, but I wondered if there is any damage, so I pull over to the right side of the highway onto the berm. Went to put my right foot down to steady the bike up straight.
Left foot is on the ground, the right foot has 6 inches or more of free air space....

the floorboards pushed my leg out so far to the right, that I could not get a purchase on terra firma...
and over we went. I had my duffle bag tied to the pillion seat, it weighed about 50#, so we are top heavy.

I pull my foot up as high as I can and down we go.

I did the infamous "stand it back up" routine" of backing into the seat and pulling up on the handle bar and rear pillion hand rest. push it over on the side stand and look the bike over. it lost all the chrome shiny bits on the right side. Not a good start.

so, there is my story of why I will never, ever, have floorboards on a bike.
they spread your feet apart 12 inches wider than without them... six inches on each side... not a good thing.

IMO, they are deadly.....

Why was I buying a 98 when I owned a 94?

here is why

·
Premium Member
1,792 Posts
Im a short guy and had no problem with FOLDING floor boards. For me its a second nature to raise and lower them. Even with them down I can tippy toe around them.If I were to buy another bike the folding boards would be a must.
At times I had the boot touch the ground but I dont think they stick out more then OEM pegs

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your input. My 1500 has floorboards and heel/toe and I have not experienced any problems, I'm 6' 3", plenty of leg length...lol. I found a heel toe conversion for the 1800 on ebay by add on brand that is very affordable, however, one reviewer said downshifts were difficult unless you have a size 7 foot, which I don't. Anyone installed this conversion? What are your thoughts?

·
Administrator
25,027 Posts
My first Goldwing, an 1100 had floor boards. Didn't take very many bruised shins to make me get rid of them. Couldn't take a curve on the interstate without dragging them either.

·
Premium Member
1,760 Posts
I blamed the sloppy shifting of heel/toe shifters on the transmission failure of my `91 Aspencade. Never again with the heel/toe shifter, no more transmission failures.
gumbyred.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts