Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Hello all, I bought a set of floorboards off of Ebay for my 1986 Aspencade that look almost indentical to my passenger floorboards that came on the bike. There is no brand name on them and I can't seem to get the left front bracket to line up on the bike. I know it is kinda impossible to expect you all to help without a brand name but I can only hope. Anyway, I was curious if the board bracket would mount behind the case saver bar bracket or in front of it? When I try to mount it on the bike leaving the case saver bar on first then it doesnt line up in contour with the case saverbracket. It doesn't look like it will fit behind either. Could it possibly just be bent enough that it won't line up and I can't tell it is bent? Thanks in advance.

Garry

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imported post

I am trying to figure out how to add pics. Also, I did not get them from Sabre Cycle.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

it is my experience tht sometimes add-ons interfer with other stuff.... maybe a pic of where the problem is would help

thank god it was not sabre

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

I think this is a pretty good pic of my problem. The board is flush on the rear mount but this is how it lands on the front. This is the left side.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
imported post

looks like it needs hammer work...don't have better advice...sorry

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,501 Posts
imported post

IMO, it needs a 12" crescent in the center part of the bracket and pulled upwards.

I would tend to want to leave it as you have it pictured (bracket over the bolt), and twist the inner portion of the bracket to parallel the bracket just above it.

From the angle of the photo shot, it appears to have been tweaked from the way it was originally made.

I would try to slide something over the bolt to protect the threads while you are twisting the bracket.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
imported post

It looks to me like the crash bar needs to come off, then mount the floorboard, then put the crashbar back on.

·
Village Whack Job...
7,908 Posts
imported post

I would suggest leaving the crash bar in place, push the bolt in to give you some clearance, the tab for the floorboard is not bent, and does go behind the crash bar tab. It takes some wiggling but you kind of have to get every thing lined up at once then shove the bolt out again from the other side.

I'm not sure how far Paris is from Milwaukee, but if you want to take a ride up i would be happy to help you with them.

Whoa, just looked it up. It's about 300 miles each way.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
imported post

I was kinda thinking this same way (that it goes behind the crash bar) but I can't even get the bolt to come out the other side without taking the exhaust off. the bolt doesn't clear the front exhaust pipe.To be able toput on the boards since they are a hole instead of a slot like the crash bars the bolt will have to come all the way out anyway to be able to go through the board bracket hole. I was just trying to see if and how they mounted from the left side first and this is when I came across the picture I have posted. Thanks for all of the replies as I have more to go on now.

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
imported post

I agree that it probably needs to go behind the crash bars. Get used to removing things to add things. Space is tight on these bikes, and bolt-on accessories are not always designed to work with other accessories. I am amazed at how many different kind of crash bars I see on the older 1000/1100/1200Goldwings. It's almost become a hobby to spot "new" crash bars !!!!

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
imported post

Hi i had the same prob with my gl1100 and had to remove the crashbars and install boards first came out great.Good luck.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.