Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

8-12 inches of snow - new garage heater - its time to tackle the draining and refilling of the cooling system.I just purchased this bike and want it ready for the spring. You guys have scared the sh_t out of me with all the talk of NO SILICATES. I discussed this with my buddies at NAPA and they told me that Prestone was fine(?)

My questionsis how do I get the fake gas tank off to access the radiator cap? Do I need to take off the seat? The rest of it seems pretty straight forward. Any ideas suggestions etc are always greatly appreciated.

·
Older and Wiser
1,734 Posts
imported post

Yep, saddle and false tank off. Also the lower fairing panels as this allows you to access the small bolt at the front lower edge on each side of the tank.

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
imported post

After you fill...keep your eye on it, as it may have to be burped like a baby. You may get some air locks that will work their way out and not unsusal to have to top it off once or twice.

Kyle

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
imported post

I just did the same to mine. I sort of had to, since I removed the radiator to replace the timing belts and gaskets. Man, was THAT a pain. Anyway, remove the seat, then the lower fairing panels, then the false tank. Even then you'll need a funnel of say 8-10 inches to make things easier.

I also agree with the tip about "burping" the radiator. I almost made the mistake of putting it all back together, but something stopped me. Thankfully! :)

If you need more details about removing all the parts, let me know. It's pretty easy.

Jack

·
Banned
596 Posts
imported post

Yeah, itll scare the dickens out of you when the temp gauge goes to the moon because an air bubble is in the thermostat. I drill relief holes in them before reinstallation, like they do in cars. Put Hylomar gasket sealer on the hoses and nipples and theyll slide on and come off a year later really easy, plus itll help seal where the aluminum is pitted.

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
imported post

"Prestone DEX-COOL® coolant that is silicate-free"

http://www.prestone.com/

Replacing mine totally as we speak, pumping with a cork from the bottom and then will seal the filler while I bolt it back up, wish me luck.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Looks like three of us are doing the chore right now. Pulled off the lower fairings, and radiator today prepratory to changing the belts. Cleaned and checked the plug gaps. The plugs are gratifyingly nearly like new. The fuel injection on the old girl sure works well. Hope it keeps doing that!

:weightlifter::walker::clapper:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.