Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

UPDATED: I called GM in Arizona, and the man said it you are using Dex Cool, the Bottom procedure would also work on removing it.

Begin with the engine cold and ignition off. Remove the radiator cap. Make sure the engine is cool. If the radiator cap is too hot to touch, your engine is not cool enough.

Open the drain-plug at the bottom of the radiator and drain the coolant into a bucket. You will want to dispose of the cooling fluid as environmentally conscious as possible. So, if there are any shops or recycling places in your area that take old coolant give it to them. Make sure you keep the fluid away from animals!. Don't just pour it on the ground. Animals tend to want to drink it, but it will kill them.

Close the drain-plug and fill the radiator with distilled water.Let cool

Start the engine and let it get hot. Drain. Add distilled water. Do this 2 times before adding any system cleaner. Remember to let engine cool before ading any distilled water. (I recommend Peak Super Cleaner/Flush) and Add cooling system cleaner andrun the engine at 2000 rpms for engine 15 minutes (or as per the instructions on container).

Stop the engine and allow it to cool. Drain the system.

Close the drain-plug, fill the radiator with distilled water and let the engine idle for10 -15 minutes.

Repeat step No. 5. Close the drain-plug.

Install new 50/50 mixture of water and ethylene glycol antifreeze/coolant. Be sure you use the same coolant as was in your Wing. Many of the coolants that are designed to last 150,000 miles will react with cheaper coolants and cause corrosion of the radiator. The best way to do this is match color.

Remember toclean your resivor with distilled water

DO NOT USE DEX_COOL IN ANYGOLDWING

Nightrider1

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
imported post

Start the engine and turn the heater control to hot (this will open the heater control valve)
Hey I was ripped, the PO must have removed the heater from my 1100!

Sorry, couldnt resist.

I would add that if you leave the radiator cap on when draining from the bottom plug, the reservoir will be sucked empty also.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
imported post

"I recommend Reak Super Cleaner/Flush", never heard of that brand but you mean Peak right?

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Dan,

This was for a car or light truck, but would also work on a Wing.

Good Catch!

Nightrider1

dan filipi wrote:
Start the engine and turn the heater control to hot (this will open the heater control valve)
Hey I was ripped, the PO must have removed the heater from my 1100!

Sorry, couldnt resist.

I would add that if you leave the radiator cap on when draining from the bottom plug, the reservoir will be sucked empty also.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Yes. I made a typo. (I make many of them)

Nightrider1

boppa wrote:
"I recommend Reak Super Cleaner/Flush", never heard of that brand but you mean Peak right?

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

I used Peak Super Cleaner and Flush on mine forless than a half hour.

Nightrider1

derekhendry wrote:
do you need a special rad flush for the wings.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
imported post

Man, I spent 3 hours looking for the heater controls on my GL1100i, although I did find the heater vents! {snicker}

·
Senior Smart Aleck
1,599 Posts
I have 87 wing & I don't know if the coolant has ever been changed or what kind.80k+ miles Any advice on what to do?

Go to your local honda car dealer and buy their ready to use AF. Alot cheaper than at cycle shop.:waving:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.