Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Im putting some 4.5 inch 30 watt each passing lights on. presently they have fluted par36 sealed beam bulbs in them. Just wonderin what the pros and cons of fluted and nonfluted lights may be. Thanks JB

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
imported post

I dont know what you mean by fluted? par 36 are either spot which has a clear front and flood are ribed

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

i probably miss phrased it then. some have clear lens and some have a pattern <flood>??. i imagine the clear lens probably will show up the side of the road better. They look like like aircraft landing lights. The flood would probably be easier on the eye. ?? I have the ribbed. They came off a tractor. I tried them last night and set the beam between the high and low headlight beam. Unfortunately I have them mounted a little low. JB

Attachments

·
Ignoramus Primus
303 Posts
imported post

Actually, fluted (ribbed) lenses will produce a wide, dispersed beam and should light up the sides of the road better. Clear (smooth) lenses are usually for long, range driving lights where you want a lot of light way out in front of you.

There are other factors here and I am speaking in generalities. There are various combinations of fluted lenses with smooth reflectors, smooth lenses with fluted reflectors and smooth lenses with smooth reflectors. All produce different light patterns.

There! That's probably more information than you wanted.:battle:

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

Kickin this back to the top for one more go around...........................

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
imported post

NeedleNick wrote:
Actually, fluted (ribbed) lenses will produce a wide, dispersed beam and should light up the sides of the road better. Clear (smooth) lenses are usually for long, range driving lights where you want a lot of light way out in front of you.

There are other factors here and I am speaking in generalities. There are various combinations of fluted lenses with smooth reflectors, smooth lenses with fluted reflectors and smooth lenses with smooth reflectors. All produce different light patterns.

There! That's probably more information than you wanted.:battle:
It never ceases to amaze me just how smart some of the people are on this forum... I just learned something that didn't know...albeit I don't know a lot, but I do appreciate the education...Don't think for a minute that I won't drop some of this knowledge on my friends as we're sitting around having a cold one...And this confuses the hell out of them,because theyknow I'm not that smart..

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
imported post

actually fluted lights are defused and in layman's terms thatmeans spread out and not focused as in a clear lens. I don't know about other states but in California a clearlens is not legal as per the California Vehical Code.

I have had a citation for non approved lamps on my truck and learned of this code violation, by the way its a $367. fine and not a fix it ticket here,the hard way.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.