Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I know this has nothing to do with motorcycles and i am probly abusing the forum, but i know you guys will have the answer.

I got a Harbor Frt 120 amp mig/flux welder for Christmas,i wired up a 220 volt 25 amp power supply for it but there is no plug on the power supply cord and nothing in the manual about it. It has a black, white and green wire, i presume the black and white are the power feeds and the green the neutral/grd.

Any help ??

Jim

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

Jim, get some help from a licensed electrician. 220 single phase at 25 amps will kill. There are codes for wiring up these things,even in Georgia.

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
imported post

My Harbor Freight mig/flux welder is 110 Volt. Are you certain it's 220?

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Naaaaa Not in Georgia :ROFL: Yep it's 220. I know when i call the Harbor Frt. advice line i'm going to India.

Jim

Attachments

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
imported post

There are several different plug designs for 220 depending on the amperage they are rated for. Your's should be at least rated 30 amps minimum. Yes the black and white are both hot and the green is a ground on 3 wire hook ups. 4 wire has ground and nuetraland 2 hots.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
imported post

Most county codes call for a 4 wire set-up now. You can wire it with a 3 wire cord as that is what came on it. Just go to Lowes or Home Depot and get the male and female plugs. They are heavy duty for the 30 amps needed. Come off your breaker box to mount the female on a wall and put the male plug on the mig power cable. Green is universally ground. Looking at the female plug, the left slot is for the white wire. If you are in doubt, consult a friend or an electrician. Do be cautious. 220-240 is dangerous, as Jackjohn said. Don't stand in a puddle of water while wiring this.
Bobbydsp

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

Yes Just 2 hots and a ground. Assuming you 220 plug was wired to a double breaker it realy dose not matter which of the hots go to which lug. There is no neutral connection
That looks like a fine welder for a Home Handyman
Wilf

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

TBear wrote:
Yes the black and white are both hot and the green is a ground on 3 wire hook ups. 4 wire has ground and nuetraland 2 hots.
Are you sure?
220v single phase is generally two hots and a ground.
220v three phase has three hots and a ground and is generally not found in a home situation.
And yes green is generally ground in a power cord but as has been said never assume the manufacturer has not done something none standard.

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
imported post

Black and white are hots, doesn't matter matter which goes where, as long as it's hot, green is ground (that one does matter :D). I recommend a 30 amp plug, and make sure your connections are tight (loose lugs with that much current WILL catch fire).

As far as having a four wire hook up, eh, I've only seen that for 3 phase and/or a unit that runs 220v and 120v (say 220v for the unit and 120v for the controls), but usually 2 hots and a ground will do just fine for 220v.

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
imported post

Typical home use is 3 wire for 220. As said some counties are now requiring 4 wire for newer construction.

Older stoves and dryers are wired 3 wire in a plug with slanted connections. The newer style for use in garages etc is a Nema 6

Here is a picture of the Nema 6 setup. You can pick them up at Lowes, Home Depot or your local Ace Hardware.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

I got the 90 amp flux core welder, it's 110 volt for $89. I tried it out and actually got 2 pieces of metal to stick together. Most of the welds I played with looked pretty good, I was pleased with the results. When I went to get it, they had a unit like yours that was a store return so they were trying to unload it for $89 as well...... Almost got that one but figured it would be a hassle always trying to find 230 volts to plug it in. Im surprising please at how good they work though.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

Wow jobe that 220 is miles ahead of you 110 like compairing a honda 90 to a goldwing.
Wilf

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

Hanko wrote:
Typical home use is 3 wire for 220. As said some counties are now requiring 4 wire for newer construction.

Older stoves and dryers are wired 3 wire in a plug with slanted connections. The newer style for use in garages etc is a Nema 6

Here is a picture of the Nema 6 setup. You can pick them up at Lowes, Home Depot or your local Ace Hardware.

So does the 4 wire have a seperate spade for the ground nd nuetral. or are they together

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
imported post

The typical "new code" setup is for single phase 220 that your county may require you to wire. This is what they made me wire up my garage for when I installed 4 separate 30 amp 220 outlets for my woodworking equipment and compressor. See the attached image.

The biggest problem is when you are trying to add a connector to an already existing 30 amp circuit. Many of those were wired up with only 3 wires.... No earth ground connection.

Here is the new setup that does require earth ground to be included.
110 on the "+" side of neutral
110 on the "-" side of neutral
Neutral
Earth Ground.

The Earth Ground and the Neutral should only be connected together in the master breaker box for your building. (After the transformer - My transformer is on the pole at the property line). This is known as a single point ground.

If you are talking 3 phase 220 then the wiring is 5 wires. Not normally used for residential unless you have a huge house and need the additional capacity.

120 Phase 1 Measuring phase to phase equals about 208V (delta not Y)
120 Phase 2
120 Phase 3
Neutral
Earth Ground

Henry

Attachments

·
Senior Mem & Story Teller
3,498 Posts
imported post

Use a simple and easy to get Range receptacle and plug. Most any hardware, appliance store will have it. Much cheaper than a Welder plug and if it can handle your electric range it can handle your welder.

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
imported post

You are right they are cheaper but still very close to the same price at home depot.

4 wire 30 amp 220 $7.49

3 wire 30 amp 220 Range socket $5.29

The real cost would come in if he has to rewire to add in the additional wire. Copper is not cheap now days.

Either way will work, just depends if your going to have to pass an inspection or not.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

Hanko wrote:
The typical new code setup is for single phase 220 that your county may require you to wire. This is what they made me wire up for my garage when I installed 4 separate 30 amp 220 outlets for my woodworking equipment and compressor. See the attached image.

110 on the "+" side of neutral
110 on the "-" side of neutral
Neutral
Earth Ground.

The Earth Ground and the Neutral should only be connected together in the master breaker box for your building. (After the transformer - My transformer is on the pole at the property line). This is known as a single point ground.
All very interesting but I doubt there are many user-land 220v devises wired with a four wire cord as of now. rideandslidejim has identified the correct wires in his cord and only needs to choose the appropriate three wire plug. Any good hardware store can sell him a plug set to match his breaker.

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
imported post

Absolutely Ken, the Nema 6 's I showed above would work great, or as Monkeytrucker pointed out so would the range/dryer plugs.

I was just replying to a question about what the connections were on a 4 wire setup. I was forced to update ours when I remodeled the house and the inspectors came in. The original wiring was grandfathered in but the new wiring had to meet the new codes.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.