Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put one on my 85A and man it sucks ! My tape player works and that sounds 1000% better, I just thought that the cassette player won't last forever and looking at some threads here and the reviews I bought one, I wish I had saved the damn package to return it. It has less than half the volume and if you try to charge your mp3 player while listening to music it just sounds like static. Next time the false tank has to come off this thing is going where it belongs in the garbage. BTW it is the one that connects through the antenna. [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Scosche-FM-MOD02-Universal-Modulator-Satellite/dp/B001QBG614/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1366414417&sr=8-1&keywords=scosche+fm+modulator[/ame]

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,276 Posts
Odd from what I have read on the site here. I was going to order one of those before the sun goes down tonight. Hmm...

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,276 Posts
I just ordered the Scosch odo2 one.

Mclock - which brand/type were you using?

·
Wild Rhino - Canadian
591 Posts
The Aux Mod is the better way to go, instructions here on the site, or send the radio to Sierra.

·
Premium Member
1,235 Posts
I use the belkin fm modulator for my mp3. Works good, and you can tune it to any station.

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Does anyone know where the antenna hooks up to the radio itself ? I used the plug under the seat but going through some threads here some said to use the antenna hook up at the radio, what has to come out to get to that ?

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just ordered the Scosch odo2 one.

Mclock - which brand/type were you using?
That's the one I have, I went through many threads here and it was recommended many times over, maybe I'm too close to the city or have to hook it up to the antenna at the radio, I don't know.

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I talked to my neighbor who has the audiovox in his car and he said before his tape player quit it also had better quality sound than the modulator. I guess if I never heard it using a cassette adapter it would be OK but I have to turn the MP3 player all the way up and then the stereo almost all the way up on the modulator. I will keep using the cassette adapter, also with the FM modulator I can hardly hear my phone even with the volume all the way up but with the adapter it is loud and clear just like the MP3 player.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
I love the cheap one I have. $10
It plugs into a cigarette lighter socket and you tune it to match the radio to any dead frequency, simple as that! No permanent hookup needed so swap it to anywhere you want any time you want to.

Has SD card slot and USB input so just put music onto a few flash drives or cards etc. and no fancy player needed. Also 3.5 mm jack so anything should work that has head phone or ext. speaker jacks and it has the cable to connect them also.
Even has a remote control with it!

I paid about $40 for a crappy MP3 player last year that I hate and hard to use, but this $10 thing great!

You can get them at most Big Lot Stores too so no shipping!
The brand name is "Music Gear" and they are normally kept in with the head phones and ear buds etc...

Here is one listed at Amazon for $1.63 and according to sellers store shipping is $3 per item so should cost less than $5 total, but I never bought anything from them so buyer beware.
At least you can see what they are there.
I hate stupid sites like Amazon that do not show what I link to! The seller "BlueMall" shown under more buying choices on the right is what I linked to, not the seller shown!
BlueMall shows 3-5 days shipping, this other comes from Kong Kong and shows 17+ days!

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,276 Posts
My personal issue with the transmitting frquency type is that 'dead' frequencies change. If you live near a larger city and travel around at all, I always ended up having to change the frequency. Heck, just going from here to Tacoma (straight up I-5 and about 6 hours is all) I was dead all the way through Portland because I did not feel like stopping the bike to change the frequency (It was XM radio using a car kit).
I have used the cassette for about 5 years (when you remove the XM time, etc) with good results, but do not want a wear issue with the tape deck. And the extra wire coming out would be nice to ditch.
I got mine on Amazon for about $28 shipped so we shall see.

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
I have absolutely no problems with my Audiovox FM modulator..... maybe you have to spend a few more $$$$ to get the better product :)

http://www.frys.com/product/5512800
I installed the Audiovox and never looked back. Set the mp3 in the side pouich, where the ol' lady can reach it, then I told her to keep her friggin hands off it! :ROFL:
Eight hours of uninterrupted music. It cost $100.00, but then again, I didn't have to throw it away.

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
I have had both and the cassette was junk compared to the one I wired into the antenna line. I think there must be a problem with your installation or possibly with the unit itself. My sound quality and volume are both much better now than with the cassette modulator. I live out in the sticks but I do ride through cities fairly often. I have never had to change channels even when riding into different cities. I have never heard any interference. The one I have I got from E-bay and it had a special plug to connect it to my I-Touch.

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My personal issue with the transmitting frquency type is that 'dead' frequencies change. If you live near a larger city and travel around at all, I always ended up having to change the frequency. Heck, just going from here to Tacoma (straight up I-5 and about 6 hours is all) I was dead all the way through Portland because I did not feel like stopping the bike to change the frequency (It was XM radio using a car kit).
I have used the cassette for about 5 years (when you remove the XM time, etc) with good results, but do not want a wear issue with the tape deck. And the extra wire coming out would be nice to ditch.
I got mine on Amazon for about $28 shipped so we shall see.
If you're handy or know someone who is this may interest you.

http://www.sheriart.net/honda/

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have had both and the cassette was junk compared to the one I wired into the antenna line. I think there must be a problem with your installation or possibly with the unit itself. My sound quality and volume are both much better now than with the cassette modulator. I live out in the sticks but I do ride through cities fairly often. I have never had to change channels even when riding into different cities. I have never heard any interference. The one I have I got from E-bay and it had a special plug to connect it to my I-Touch.
I think you could be right because it will only work on one of the stations not both and the volume sucks, now when I use the cassette adapter I have to turn the ipod volume down and on my bike it is much clearer and louder than the radio stations.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,276 Posts
If you're handy or know someone who is this may interest you.

http://www.sheriart.net/honda/
I have seen and considered that, but I get nervous getting that far in. Can probably do it, but I am more comfortable with an 'add-in' because I can always remove it if I want to, put it in the truck, whatever.
Like you, the cassette has worked great to date. $5 at Wal-Mart, but I got the $20 from Radio Shack. Probably work the same, too, but oh well.

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well I messed with it some today and got it working better but still no where as good as the cassette adapter. GLHonda may be right the audiovox has a ground loop isolator which the scosche does not have and may be a better value and quality. I will just use the modulator when I don't need to charge anything and the adapter when I do need to charge.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
Here is a very simple option to use on all Goldwing models with the built in 5 pin Din pigtails. You can plug GPS and or phone or MP3 players into it and both rider and passenger will be able to hear.

If you look, the Goldwing headset has an interface coming from the 5pin din and that is what you plug into with 3.5mm jack leads from your chosen source.
Only one of the two riders needs to get this headset, as both of the riders will be able to hear whatever is interfaced to it.

There is ordering from around the world as they ship and so all you need to do is go through the order process to see how much one will cost.

I had one of these on my 1500 and it worked just great.

http://www.starcom1.com/goldwing.html

Scroll down the page to the headset.

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
Thats fine, providing you wish to listen through the headset.

My headset is used only for intercom, I prefer the entertainment to come through the speakers.

For some reason I feel distracted when listening to entertainment through the headset.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.