Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

The orginal radio works on both am/fm but the reception is weak on the fm side even though we are across the street from a fm station. Would this be a problem with the radio or is there some kind of fm booster installed in these bikes that could be at fault. The bike has a car antenna installed (is there a difference)?We have checked all the connections, etc and have noted no problems. The bike is a 1982 Honda Goldwing 1100Aspencade Gl that we purchased used from a friend who said the fm radio used to play louder.Any help would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
imported post

HI MONKEYY337
i also have 82 1100 am.cass.all play good fm side is weak on mine.there is a number you can call.sierra electronics.937-335-8939.they should be able to help you.i am going to call sometime tommrrow.and see what they tell me about my radio...also go back and put in where you live.because there might be someone close by that may be able to help you with other things that may come your way.there alot of good people on here waiting to help you.i am giveing you a big wave from il.

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
imported post

I know this may sound ....well lame.......but did you check the mute switch on the handle bar control? The last time I was out on my bike, the radio wasn't loud at all, had the volume control almost full throttle and just happen to look up and saw where I had hit the mute lever...flipped it off and the driver of the car next to me about jumped out of her seat:cooldevil::cooldevil:......it worked again:cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

If it's a clarion 1 system it won't have a mute button of any kind and certainly no handlebar controls. The Clarion 1 does though have a knob that controls the reception strength, check it.

The Carion 1 system also may have intercom controls on the top of the controller, check those also.

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
imported post

I thought the 82 Aspy's came with the Clarion II systems, was there an option?

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

Asencades only had Type II. Maybe a bad antennae or tuner. Just for giggles, find another antennae and hitch it to the radio.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

I'm not sure which year the Clarion 2 system came out. It very well may have been in 82 with the Aspy's.

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
imported post

I know my 82 has the Clarion II.......thats why I threw out the mute switch...

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

Type IIs are 1982-83. You could buy the Type Is separately, but Aspencades came with the IIs.

The mute button makes the volume lower

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
imported post

Hi Monkey

BTW, Welcome to the forum. You will find a truckload of good, solid info here on your bike.

I have an 82 Aspencade as well. If your bike has the CB in it, and being an Aspencade it should, then there is an extra point of failure that you may have.

The antenna is shared by the CB and the radio. If you have a car antenna installed then you should disable a radio module in you bike. Here’s the scoop…

The radio has a short coax cable going to a small black box and the CB radio has a short coax cable going to the same black box. A coax cable goes from the black box to the antenna. This black box switches from radio to CB depending on the need. A car antenna will not work for you CB well and possibly damage your CB.

Here is what I would to trouble shoot your situation based on not needing the CB.

1) Starting from the antenna, make sure that the coax is fastened firmly to the antenna. The antenna should be mounted in a way that it has a ground to the chassis of the bike. This ground in not a necessity, but does help.

2) Follow the coax from the antenna up/down to the black box in the faring. You will see that thereis ablack box that is acting sort of like a “Y” adapter. I would remove the antenna coax and mount it directly to the radio. They use the same connections. All you have to do is unplug the black box from the radio and plug the antenna directly into the radio. This by-passes the black box which may be bad.

3) Make sure your connections are clean.

There are manuals that you can download that show you where these are located in the fairing of the bike. You can also download the service manuals for the bike there as well.

Good luck and let us know what happens.

Tim.

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
imported post

just got off phone with sierra electronics.they said tuner was probley off frequency.would run from $80.00 to $100.00 with $15.00 shiping with about 7-10 days

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

Mr Magic Fingers wrote:
Hi Monkey

I have an 82 Aspencade as well. If your bike has the CB in it, and being an Aspencade it should, then there is an extra point of failure that you may have.

:waving:The Aspencade came standard with only the Type II AM/FM radio. All the rest of the Type II system was optional for the Aspencade.

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
imported post

83 GoldWinger,

I believe that you learn something everyday... Which I did today. :dude:I guess I was under the misunderstanding that the Aspencades came with the works. :shock:

Sorry about the misunderstanding Monkey...

However, It is still good to check the entire length of coax and clean the connection to the radio. The only thing that you will not have to contend with is the RF switch.

Tim.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

krazy al wrote:
just got off phone with sierra electronics.they said tuner was probley off frequency.would run from $80.00 to $100.00 with $15.00 shiping with about 7-10 days
I read what your saying but I don't really no what it means? Are you saying that I send the radio to them and they will adjust the tuner as required or are the prices you stated for a new tuner that is not already in the radio? Also to answer some questions that were asked by other members.

1. This motorcycle has a mute switch located on the left handle bar and it works.

2. This motorcycle never had a CB radio even when new.

3. We tried a new antenna with the same results.

4. We bypassed the box that the antenna cable goes to and connected the antenna cables together with same problem.

5. The orginal radio (still installed) has two (2) blank panels on its face so there are less knobs/buttons to deal with. I think this means its the better radio.

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
imported post

Hey Monkey,

You have already done all the trouble shooting that you can I think.

1) You know your mute works… you can tell the difference from mute/non mute.

2) See # 4

3) You replaced the antenna. That is the clincher. If the AM is fine and other audio is fine too and its only the FM than it’s the radio.

4) If you by-passed the antenna switch and went to the radio directly then you know it’s not the switch. The switch is usually for the CB side which you do not have.

5) The two blank panels are for: a) the controls for the CB and b) the controls for the intercom system (rider to passenger).

I think what Crazy Al was saying was that her took the liberty in calling Sierra Electronics for you and described your problems. In a nutshell, your radio needs adjustments. You send it to them, they set it up and retune it and then ship it back to you.

Tim.

PS… I learned today that not all Aspencades come with the works. :dude:

:pMY baby is special!!! :p

hahahaha Have a great evening Monkey!!

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
imported post

it means that they will put back on frec.the tuner is in radio.that if that is whats wrong with your radio.as mine is doing samething as yours.so i am going to send mine to sierra.i have ipod set up to play right now.so will not be in any hurry to get radio back.

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

krazy al wrote:
HI MONKEYY337
i also have 82 1100 am.cass.all play good fm side is weak on mine.there is a number you can call.sierra electronics.937-335-8939.they should be able to help you.
:waving:Seirra Electronics toll free number is: 1-800-338-6938

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.