Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My GL 1200 has a foamoil soaked filter init.Is this type better than paper ? If so do I clean it with what and reoil it with what? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
imported post

Very light macjone type oil will do. Many folks use WD40 instead but really machine oil is much better. This would include compressor airline oil and the like. You don't want to soak the filter, just lightly coat it so that the foam is sticky instead of sodden with oil.

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks for the reply Budegan the filter is washed and drying I have the oil I need so I'am just about there .

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

TJ859 wrote:
Thanks for the reply Budegan the filter is washed and drying I have the oil I need so I'am just about there .
K&N has filter cleaner and filter oil designed just for that application, use the stuff for years on aircraft.

:waving::15red::waving:

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

It's better to use the right stuff. WD40 is okay in a push, but really isn't suitable for long term use.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

englishted wrote:
It's better to use the right stuff. WD40 is okay in a push, but really isn't suitable for long term use.
Ted's right, WD40 is a poor choice since it rapidly evaporates leaving little oil behind. If you can find some K&N or other air filter oil, it's a little different in that it's more sticky and doesn't dry out as fast. You can clean the filter with solvents, gasoline will work but be careful, paint thinner is also okay. I don't know about more aggressive solvents like acetone, MEK and such, they may attack the foam.

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
imported post

I have used both the K&N and the oiled foam type of air filters. It is my understanding that they are quite different from each other.

K&N uses a thin oil to moisten a thin filter membrane. The foam filters use a very thick, sticky oil to coat all the foam cells throughout the thickness of the filter. Very thick gear oil is suggested for this if the proprietary stuff is not available.

The foam filters are regarded as doing a better job of filtering particles out of the air than K&N.

Thanks,
Gilbert

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

GilbertGL wrote:
I have used both the K&N and the oiled foam type of air filters. It is my understanding that they are quite different from each other.

K&N uses a thin oil to moisten a thin filter membrane. The foam filters use a very thick, sticky oil to coat all the foam cells throughout the thickness of the filter. Very thick gear oil is suggested for this if the proprietary stuff is not available.

The foam filters are regarded as doing a better job of filtering particles out of the air than K&N.

Thanks,
Gilbert
I used K&N filters on ultralight aircraft for quite a few years. I always cleaned and oiled them with K&N's cleaner and filter oil.

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Thanks for the reply on the foam filter all.What a great forum!

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

The foam ones are also better as they don't dry out and go hard from the heat.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.