Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 2013 GL1800 with less than 2000 miles on it, purchased in 2015 for the 2016 season. In 2019 the FOB started acting wonky and would frequently need to be reset to the system (it wouldn't "see" the bike anymore). We probabaly reset it 4 times that summer. We keep our bike battery on a trickle charger over the winter, rather than removing it. We are aware that the FOB always needs to be reset if the battery is disconnected.

Last year the FOB went completely dead, so we replaced the battery (more than once). Still not working, even after the dealership tried the "rain dance" procedure in their parking lot about 10 times. (ignition on, hit the button, ignition off X4 etc., yes I know the drill). The red light comes on (on the FOB), but nobody is home. We want to lock the bike, pop the trunk, unlock the bike etc. with the FOB. The call button doesn't work either, even when holding down 3 seconds. We inspected the trunk lid wires (intact) and unplugged and re-plugged the control unit behind the trunk lid. Before purchasing either a new FOB or new control unit (ouch), just wondering if anyone else has any suggestions of things to look at, or rain dances to try.

Does the fact that the call button isn't working indicative of a bad FOB? Or does the control unit not only tell the trunk to pop and unlock AND tell the horn to beep as well? Does anyone have a spare working FOB they would like to sell?

The dealership isn't taking appointments, they say just drop it off and hope we get to it in 3 weeks. We've already got the bike apart, that seems pretty silly.

If you have suggestions involving a multi-meter, I will need a walkthrough, I own one but don't know how to use it.

HELP.

Sheila

Reactions: brucelindberg68

·
Administrator
29,136 Posts
You say you inspected the trunk lid wires. Did you split open the harness where it bends by the trunk hinges and look for broken wires?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes exactly.

·
Administrator
29,136 Posts
Yes exactly.
As far as I know the only problem with them has been either a dead battery in the FOB or broken wires in that harness, Does the horn work from the horn button? If not replace the horn fuse. That leaves doing a check of the wiring at the lock control unit in the trunk lid.

·
Pwhoever
3,493 Posts
I would try wiggling the wires near the trunk hinges while pressing on the fob buttons. I think Dave0430 is correct and agree that the wiring is suspect. If the red light on the FOB is coming on, that should be working correctly. Broken wires are the most and too often common problem. I knew about that years ago and ended up moving the wiring harness more to the center as a preventative measure before I ended up with the dreaded broken wires.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you very much, will look closer and try some of the troubleshooting tips.

·
Registered
Several
1,442 Posts
I believe the OP is talking about the FOB that comes with the bike new. It locks and unlocks the trunk and bags remotely.
It does not have anything to do with air pressure in the tires.

Rayjoe

·
Premium Member
2012 GL1800
960 Posts
I have changed the battery in my 2004 and my 2012. Never had to re-program the remote after changing batteries.
As far a looking at the wires, try bending them slightly and look for a deformity in the insulation of each wire.
Hopefully someone will chime in with the wire colors.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I believe the OP is talking about the FOB that comes with the bike new. It locks and unlocks the trunk and bags remotely.
It does not have anything to do with air pressure in the tires.

Rayjoe
That is correct.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
I take it you only have the one FOB?
Since you have a multimeter, it might be a good idea to test the trunk wiring rather than just relying on a visual inspection. Do you have the factory service manual or a wiring diagram?

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
The fob doesn’t find the bike, the bike is programmed to only listen to the correct fob. Since you’ve had to reprogram the bike numerous times this tells me the trunk lock control unit is loosing power from the “Battery” fuse circuit. As has been mentioned, the most common failure in this system is broken wires at the right side trunk hinge harness. This standby power that is being lost is sent to the trunk unit on the red/yellow wire and it’s grounded by the solid green wire. If either of these are broken, causing the power to be lost, the unit will forget the fob that it’s programmed to respond to.

·
Premium Member
2012 GL1800
960 Posts
The contacts on the remote are small dots of conductive material on a rubber substrate. You could try cleaning them and the contact points with alcohol. I have also had very good results with this stuff.

·
Premium Member
1,700 Posts
I have the same problem with the FOB on my 06. Reset it several time with the key on key off system, Couldn't get it to work Changed the battery in the FOB and the red light on the FOB comes on so I guess it's a busted wire. I just use the key to lock everything, not a big deal.
Tire Vehicle registration plate Automotive lighting Vehicle Fuel tank

1 - 20 of 23 Posts