Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
I have the same problem with the FOB on my 06. Reset it several time with the key on key off system, Couldn't get it to work Changed the battery in the FOB and the red light on the FOB comes on so I guess it's a busted wire. I just use the key to lock everything, not a big deal. View attachment 330312
If you suspect a broken wire, you should address it. Eventually it could short to other wires that eventually break and could drain your battery and leave you stranded. There’s at least three power wires in that harness along with ground wires and other system wires that won’t like being grounded or powered. A lot of folks just replace the harness with a new one if they don’t want to try splicing the broken wires.

·
Premium Member
2012 GL1800
963 Posts
The fob doesn’t find the bike, the bike is programmed to only listen to the correct fob. Since you’ve had to reprogram the bike numerous times this tells me the trunk lock control unit is loosing power from the “Battery” fuse circuit. As has been mentioned, the most common failure in this system is broken wires at the right side trunk hinge harness. This standby power that is being lost is sent to the trunk unit on the red/yellow wire and it’s grounded by the solid green wire. If either of these are broken, causing the power to be lost, the unit will forget the fob that it’s programmed to respond to.
Techdude, the way you are explaining this, a loss of ' standby battery' power would mean you have to reprogram the unit.
I have disconnected my battery numerous times, on both my 2004 and 2012, which removes the 'standby' power, and never had to reprogram the system. The unit may be using a capacitor for temp power or flash or eeprom memory.

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Techdude, the way you are explaining this, a loss of ' standby battery' power would mean you have to reprogram the unit.
I have disconnected my battery numerous times, on both my 2004 and 2012, which removes the 'standby' power, and never had to reprogram the system. The unit may be using a capacitor for temp power or flash or eeprom memory.
Sorry, I should have been more clear. The loss of power does have to be more than a short period. You are probably correct about some sort of capacitor that maintains the memory for a little while, otherwise it would require a reprogram every time you change the battery or disconnect it for other maintenance.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts