Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there guys.
I just bought this really great 2002 GL1800 Motor Trike. Theres alot about it I'm still learning but its fun learning. I've been studying the manual and everything I can but I can't seem to get these fog lights to work. Maybe they're burned out but that seems unlikely. There isn't any fuses burned out. There isn't a switch to turn them on and they don't come on with the headlight dimmer switch. Nothing that easy. No, the only thing I can think of is testing them somehow but I haven't a clue how to even do that. It has me stumped.
100967113_1294074464130383_7921178952465383424_o.jpg

·
Administrator
27,366 Posts
Are you sure there is not a switch on the left panel by the hazard switch?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your answer but as you can see in the photo my bike is a trike and when "Motor Trike" installed the kit they deactivated that side of the panel as it was the air bag on the rear of the bike and now none of those switches do anything. I'm thinking about getting into that panel and changing things around to use for new running lights and the so called fog lights that don't light up but are just hanging there for looks.:giggle:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi there guys.
I just bought this really great 2002 GL1800 Motor Trike. Theres alot about it I'm still learning but its fun learning. I've been studying the manual and everything I can but I can't seem to get these fog lights to work. Maybe they're burned out but that seems unlikely. There isn't any fuses burned out. There isn't a switch to turn them on and they don't come on with the headlight dimmer switch. Nothing that easy. No, the only thing I can think of is testing them somehow but I haven't a clue how to even do that. It has me stumped. View attachment 324024
Is there anyone out there that can tell me if the little round lights at the bottom in my picture showing the front of the bike are fog lights or cornering lights? I'm not familiar with everything about my new purchased toy and the manual says nothing about these lights at all. Period. Thanks guys.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
61,135 Posts
Pretty sure that on all of the 1800s, those are just "Fog Lights" or usually just called "Driving Lights" to show up curbs, etc.

they do NOT blink or come on with the Turn Signals like the 1500s used to do, which was stupid anyway as they would go off the instant that the Turn Signals self cancel on you.... Nearly everyone bypasses that function so they are ON if the key is ON.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pretty sure that on all of the 1800s, those are just "Fog Lights" or usually just called "Driving Lights" to show up curbs, etc.

they do NOT blink or come on with the Turn Signals like the 1500s used to do, which was stupid anyway as they would go off the instant that the Turn Signals self cancel on you.... Nearly everyone bypasses that function so they are ON if the key is ON.
Yeah, thats what I was afraid of now theres the problem with tracking down the malfunction problem. Somehow I'm gonna have to get under it to remove the grey fairing panel that covers both the lights and goes across the whole front lower portion of the bike. I've tried removing the lights by hand but that was impossible. Thanks

·
Registered
2003 GL1800A
687 Posts
If they don't come on with your low beam headlights you're going to have to contact Motor Trike, or check the bulbs themselves to see if they're burned out.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
:mad: not the cheap route. My repair guy is 60 miles away and loves to keep my bike for weeks not days. Here in New Orleans honda GL trikes are few and far between. Anyone from NO reading this and has a Honda GL Trike please say "Hi" and lets communicate.

·
Pwhoever
3,292 Posts
Take a look towards the bottom of this page for some useful info on the fog lights. It gives a basic wiring diagram and an idea for an alternate type of switch. You may be able to come up with a solution. Ignore the name of the link and just click on it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, I saw and read them but none answered my question about the lights being "fog" or "turn signal" lights. I think too many guys are getting onto this discussion with generalities - whatever fits type answers. I posted a pic of the front of the bike denoting the small round lights at the bottom of the bike. What are they? Thats all I'm asking. ;)

·
Administrator
27,366 Posts
Thanks for your answer but as you can see in the photo my bike is a trike and when "Motor Trike" installed the kit they deactivated that side of the panel as it was the air bag on the rear of the bike and now none of those switches do anything. I'm thinking about getting into that panel and changing things around to use for new running lights and the so called fog lights that don't light up but are just hanging there for looks.:giggle:
I can see it's a trike & what air bag? They are fog or driving lights, whichever you prefer to call them. They would not have had to deactivate that panel, with the rear shock disconnected the adjustment just wouldn't work, has nothing to do with the fog lights. Do the hazard flashers work and is the fog light switch still there?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I can see it's a trike & what air bag? They are fog or driving lights, whichever you prefer to call them. They would not have had to deactivate that panel, with the rear shock disconnected the adjustment just wouldn't work, has nothing to do with the fog lights. Do the hazard flashers work and is the fog light switch still there?
The hazard flasher doesn't work and there isn't a fog light switch (see the attached photo) the only switch is the headlight adjustment thing which doesn't work either. The air bag switch and dial was before the trike was attached. :giggle:

Attachments

·
Registered
2003 GL1800A
687 Posts
If all you're asking is what they are, they are fog/driving lights. They are not turn signals. And yes, your switch to turn them on is missing entirely. IIRC, the wiring harness connector to each of them should be located in the center and above the grey plastic cowl they're mounted behind.

·
Administrator
27,366 Posts
The hazard flasher doesn't work and there isn't a fog light switch (see the attached photo) the only switch is the headlight adjustment thing which doesn't work either. The air bag switch and dial was before the trike was attached. :giggle:
I see, the switch panel is probably disconnected & I would guess the fog lights were connected to come on with the headlights or someone failed to install the switch. Pull the fairing trim off by pulling out at the bottom the work you way up then take out the 1 screw that holds the switch panel in, see if it's plugged in. That is not an air bag BTW, it is for the hydraulic suspension adjustment.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah, I figured it would take removing that grey fairing panel that covers both lights and as you say then I can follow the wiring to see where it goes and why it is disconnected. My guess is when Motor Trike installed the trike kit and disconnected that hydraulic susp dials they also disconnected the fog light wiring to the headlights or something. But why would they mess up the headlight adj dial and hazard switch basically disconnecting everything in that panel. Really screwed up the whole thing. I'm trying to touch base with guys having simular trikes of that year GL to see if they have a simular condition. Thanks for your ideas

·
Premium Member
2012 GL1800
657 Posts
I would take the recommended steps to remove the panel. Actually very easy. The hardest part is removing the trim strip. Be careful As said, start at the bottom and rock is back and forth to release it. Then the one screw holding the panel in. You may also want to remove pocket to give you more room. Four plastic rivets, push in on the center and pull them out. The pocket will then pull out. Be careful of the rivets, don't let them fall into the fairing. Sounds like whoever did the trike kit did not know what to disconnect and did them all. The headlight and flasher switch did not have to be disabled.
Hopefully they just disconnected things and not cut wires. One other thing, make sure there is not a switch somewhere else that may control the fog lights.

That wiring for the bike is the same whether it is triked or not. Anyone with a 2001 to 2005 has basically the same bike. Newer years are slightly different. Maybe you can hook up with someone that has a 2 wheeler bike that is willing to help.

·
Premium Member
1998 GL1500 Asp and 2017 GL1800 4AC
348 Posts
Here is a document that may help you out.

It is the installation instructions for the lower cowl driving lights sold by Kuryakyn.
The lights you have are not a factroy installed item. They are aftermarket and several manufacture's supplied them to the general public.
You can read through the instructions and should be able to discover how to remove things so you can get to the lights.
As others have said, the driving light switch does not seem to have been installed but there may be a shorting plug under that control panel that was put there to turn the lights on at all times.
By the way, the trike installer should not have disconnected that panel, only the controls for the rear shock should have been disconnected it anything was.
One more thing, just abuot anyone that has ever worked on a GL1800 should be able to help you with the driving light problem.

Attachments

Reactions: DBohrer and limpy45

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah, this will help. Thanks - I'll let you know how it goes(y)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah, this will help. Thanks - I'll let you know how it goes(y)
Ok guys, Big Problem. Removing the grey panel as we talked about is easy with just the bike. Add the Trike to the mix and I have a major trike foot shroud bolted in on top and thru the grey panel that was the main discussion. Check out my photos. I jacked the bike up to try and remove those screw bolts but I can't get my plyers or anything to grip the bolt nut that keeps turning as I try to unscrew the bolt. PLUS - removing those bolts lowers the trikes foot shroud. I think I need a motor trike guy here to walk me thru this. This isn't just a goldwing bike job. They have used the front of the bikes frame to attach the trikes foot shroud (or support).🤤
20201021_102023.jpg
20201021_102023.jpg
20201021_102023.jpg

Attachments

·
Administrator
27,366 Posts
I think you are wasting your time trying to take that cowl off before you check out the switch panel. There is a 4 pin connector for the fog lights in a rubber boot that hangs down below the switch panel.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts