Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The shiny reflective coating just peeled off inside the 82 headlight and is laying on the internal bulb like a piece of aluminum foil!
Light still works but of course is junk now.

Also lots of moisture in there.
Any idea why?

I know sealed beams are not really sealed well, I have seen many get moisture before. Never seen one just peel off the entire reflective coating in a solid sheet like that though.. Doesn't show in a picture well because of the glass.

Luckily I do have another headlight here for when I need to replace it. Not riding that one right now, was just working on it when I saw that.

·
Bob Cassel
386 Posts
It's not really a sealed beam headlamp, hence the internal lamp. I changed mine out to a Silverstar sealed beam 6024 (I think) and was very pleased with results. Lower amp draw, brighter/whiter light and better pattern.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I'll look at one of those.
I have another 82 headlight, but if I start riding long trips again on this 82 I probably could use a new better light.

·
Premium Member
1,672 Posts
The sealed beams, once used in cars require a whole unit replacement when they go because they are indeed sealed. The headlights with a replaceable bulb are not sealed. They can get water in them from the bayonette fitting at the back if the sealing plug is not installed correctly , though how the water splashes up there is still beyond me. I once tried to remove a small spider web (and a very nicely dry preserved spider) from the reflective inner surface of a headlight assembly by rinsing it with distilled water. Bad idea...didn't work...made if worse... left water spots...last thing you want to do is stuff a rag in there to dry it. What moisture was left in there heated to a stem which then REALLY screwed things up. I suspect that may be what peeled your coating.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.