Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi all

Well I sorted out the timing and it now starts (quite well) I only managed to trash the solenoid yesterday But i found a one off a quad bike at a local store and it all works again (I got away with the starter and push button)

when it runs there is a very solid thump when its ticking over on choke (I haven't run it long enough to get the choke off) but as you increse the throttle it dies away and sounds 'okay' but quite loud

I have 4 possible explanations and wondered if anyone had come across this

1) the big end is gone ( the last time it was run 4years ago the PO said it was 'sweet')

2) one of the valves is sticking (but there doesn't seem to be any backfireing)

3) the timing is slightly out and its firing after TDC and I need to find out how to make slight adjustments that I can't find in the manual (like you used to do by rotating the distributor on a car)

4) the cross pipe is leaking (cos I haven't got a clamp till tomorrow)

has anybody got any comments as to what this 'thump' could be or indeed other explanations

regards Rob

This big beast isn't going to beat me!!!!!;)

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
imported post

Cross over pipe leaking will have an effect on the way the engine runs. It can suck air into the exhaust. As thump goes away as bike warms up I'm guessing that it is fuel related. All kinds of crap can collect in carbs that have set for 4 yrs. I'm guessing the thump sound is the engine coughing back through the carb.

Once you get your exhaust fixed, maybe a little Sea Foam & take it for a spin.

·
Premium Member
2,032 Posts
imported post

cycleman wrote:
Cross over pipe leaking will have an effect on the way the engine runs. It can suck air into the exhaust. As thump goes away as bike warms up I'm guessing that it is fuel related. All kinds of crap can collect in carbs that have set for 4 yrs. I'm guessing the thump sound is the engine coughing back through the carb.

We don't have Sea Foam over here.

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

cycleman wrote:

I haven't had the bike warmed up yet due to a couple of little leaks (oil & water) that need sorting before I run it for any length of time the 'thump' settles down as the revs increase

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
imported post

A GL1100 engine makes clonk & bonk noises at slow idle if the carb sychronization is off.

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

In place of sea foam, use diesel fuel injector cleaner. How old are your timing belts?

A wing will run like crap until it wakes up from a long sleep. Once it runs well enough that you trust it on a run, Take it out & run a tank of fresh fuel through it. It might clean up from that & the injector cleaner.

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

You ain't gonna fix a leaking crossover with duct tape or clamp. Gotta remove the tubes and replace the o-rings.

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

I will try and get a recording of the 'thump' noise and post it to give people a better idea
Rob

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

I'm with oldgoat. If the carb sync is off, the engine will thump like a 4 cylinder Harley at idle

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
imported post

Silicon Sam wrote:
You ain't gonna fix a leaking crossover with duct tape or clamp. Gotta remove the tubes and replace the o-rings.
Are there o-rings in the cross over tube?

I'm going to be replacing the exhaust system on my GL1100 with a 'near new' set I purchased on E- Bay. I thought all I needed was the four copper exhaust gaskets at the manifold.

Please enlighten me!

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
imported post

Chances are you're going to have to pull the carbs and clean them. They make all sorts of noises (thumping included) until the carbs are clean and synched. I've got the same deal going myself.

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
imported post

JamesGang wrote:
Silicon Sam wrote:

I'm going to be replacing the exhaust system on my GL1100 with a 'near new' set I purchased on E- Bay. I thought all I needed was the four copper exhaust gaskets at the manifold.

Please enlighten me!
No "O" rings in crossover tube. There is a sleeve type, graphite looking gasket though. I'm sure it can be reused if the crossover tube was separated carefully. I reused mine with no leak.

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
imported post

oldgoat wrote:
JamesGang wrote:
Silicon Sam wrote:

Please enlighten me!
No "O" rings in crossover tube. There is a sleeve type, graphite looking gasket though. I'm sure it can be reused if the crossover tube was separated carefully. I reused mine with no leak.
Thank You, Oldgoat,
I do have the graphite sleeve you mentioned and it looks to be in good condition. Are there any 'tips' on changing out the exhaust pipes? It looks pretty straight forward although I wonder how difficult it will be to remove the bolts ( they are original, 28 years old)!

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
imported post

If your bike is making noises do the carbs what ever way you choose. I just did mine over the winter and I can't believe the noises that went away. All the knocks, rattles, klunks it sounded like an old washing machine. Now this thing sounds like my old Porsche (thatbreaks my heart) used to.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Carbs being out of sync will cause a Wing engine to sound quite dreadful, so start with that being put right and work from there. It can be as bad as the primary drive chain slapping around like it wants to get out of the engine!!!:shock:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.