Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

There I was cruising along happily after this week's work on my bike, then just as Icame up to a stop light the engine quit cold. It's embarrassing to tell of this. After a minute or two trying to restart etc., I noticed the kill switch that I'd inadvertenly bumped to the off position.!

Is that worse than trying to leave a stoplight in third gear after you furtively turn the kill switch back to on? Shoulda just dropped the bike to finish the performance.

Sic transit gloria mundi!

:gunhead::gunhead::gunhead:

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

When I goty my GL110 years ago, I went out to the garage to start it and it wouldn't start. Battery went flat trying. Charged it up and tried again and still no start. Battery went flat again. I only realized the kill switch was off at this point. Felt like a fool. I never use the kill switch and hadn't even thought about it, my younger brother probably turned it off when he was sitting on the bike.

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

I think most if not all of us have been caught trying to start our bikes with the kill switch off at one time or another! :shock:

Bob

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
imported post

My own self!!!

Of course I still contend forgetting to put the sidestand down is far worse!!

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Brojees wrote:
My own self!!!
Of course I still contend forgetting to put the sidestand down is far worse!!
Not to worry, I've done that one too. If we learn by our mistakes I ought to be a genius by now!

:gunhead::gunhead:

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
imported post

Fellas, I feel your pain!:( What's her name and I are in the middle of nowhere Canyon Lands Utah when the bike does a shut down. I guess I hit the kill switch while throwing on my throttle lock. Late in the day...hot....real tired.....not thinking real good with a heavy dose of road buzz. 1/2 hour in the desert sun!!!!!...thinking way too deep, tools out, volt meter out,checking every possible scenario as to why this friggin thing won't fire up, hot, beat up and stumped.:gunhead: What's her name says "What's this thing that says Engine Stop and its pointed at "off"?". I had a huge sigh of relief!!!!:p Whats her name kept smacking in the back of the head until I got a rum into her and sprung for an airconditionedhotel room rather than camping. :whip::whip::whip::whip::whip::whip::whip::whip::whip::whip::whip::whip::whip::whip::whip::whip::whip:

Funny how we will first consider the "worse case scenario" rather than "KISS"

Kyle

Keep it Simple Stupid!!!!:baffled:

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Hey you "Gurus" "IF" and i state IF your :15blue::18red::1000yellow: doesn't start first shot, :baffled:the FIRST thing you check is the "KILLER SWITCH" 99.9% of the time that is the cause. :whip: If this advice doesn't get me promoted i will give up. :crying: I wonder does the wingnut read the post on this forum at all. :stumped:

:weightlifter: :18red: :weightlifter:

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
imported post

If your club goes to a show or display where people invariably get to go round your bike it nearly always ends up with the kill switch at off. Some smart alecs do it deliberately just to watch you when you try to start up. Others just like playing with switches. :gunhead:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Redwing. wrote:
Hey you "Gurus" "IF" and i state IF your :15blue::18red::1000yellow: doesn't start first shot, :baffled:the FIRST thing you check is the "KILLER SWITCH" 99.9% of the time that is the cause. :whip: If this advice doesn't get me promoted i will give up. :crying: I wonder does the wingnut read the post on this forum at all. :stumped:

:weightlifter: :18red: :weightlifter:
I don't believe it!

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Littlejohn wrote:
people invariably get to go round your bike it nearly always ends up with the kill switch at off. Some smart alecs do it deliberately just to watch you when you try to start up. :whip:
Hey Littlejohn, :waving:The golden rule always applies. :whip: "You may look, but you must not touch" :whip:

:leprechaun: :18red: :leprechaun:

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
imported post

Hello lads,

I've got two...one more embarrassing than the other. First, I rode my 1100 down to the post office, and had just executed a beautiful swing around a parking place so that I could face out (since I have no reverse). I was pulling gracefully right next to a brand new 1800...when over I start to go. I'd forgotten the sidestand. So here I am, struggling with all my might to keep her upright, but no luck - I just let her drop. The bike was only about 1/16th of an inch off the ground so there was no noise or damage. So anyway, I get off and am heaving her back up, when a fellow in his 60s comes out, puts his helmet on, and says "How's it going?". He'd watched the whole thing from inside. I felt about two inches tall. :(

The other thing...well, after working on my bike all weekend I decided to ride the 60 miles to work on Monday, despite 30 degree F temps. I gear up, hop on, and make it to the end of my block, when the engine dies at the stop sign. I tried for ten minutes to start it, but it just wouldn't go. So I finally get off and push this thing uphill about 100 yards to my house, park it next to the car, and proceed to take off my leathers and throw them in the back seat. I call work to tell them I'll be a little late, and as I pull out I look over at my 'Wing, and lo and behold....I had at some point turned the fuel petcock to "off". By this point the battery was too weak to start, but when I got home that afternoon, she started right up.

Now THAT is embarrassing. :?

Jack

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
Sic transit gloria mundi!

:gunhead::gunhead::gunhead:

Hi exavid,

Classically educated? I've not seen that written in a long time. Well, not outside my own little circle that is.

Jack

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
imported post

And so passes worldy glory?

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
imported post

I did the same thing Saturday night (Night, so I couldn't see the switch). It confused me to no end... I'm used to my Kawasaki. On that thing, the starter switch runs through the kill switch, on it's way to the solenoid. Therefore, kill switch= off, no crank. After that little episode, I'm tempted to rewire the wing like that. It'll save me flooding the engine, and wearing down the battery.

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
imported post

Oh, and while we are listing latin phrases, here's my fav:

"oderint dum metuant"

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
imported post

If they fear they may hate?

I am free translating, so my form is horrible.

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
imported post

philcsand wrote:
Oh, and while we are listing latin phrases, here's my fav:

"oderint dum metuant"
I like to use that one on test days. :) For Brojees, it translates as "Let them hate me, so long as they fear me." Said by the late, great, definitely insane Caligula.

Jack

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
imported post

Vitrum edere possum; mihi non nocet

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
imported post

"Tá mé in ann gloine a ithe; Ní chuireann sé isteach nó amach orm."

1 - 20 of 47 Posts