Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

A warning to everyone..............check your footpegs for weld cracks. I like many others, habitually mount my bike ('98 1500SE) by stepping onto the left peg and throwing my leg over the seat - likely overstressing the welds over time.

Just this week, my mechanic did exactly the same on my bike and didn't the weld just break off and the peg take a dive towards the pavement - all happening right in front of me.

This is the second bike where this has happened to me..........the other was over thirty five years ago when I was MUCH younger and much lighter! No..........I'm NOT saying I'm fat..........just very tall and very big.........and much older than I used to was.

The first, I figured was just a one off (didn't mount the bike by using the footpeg then)
but now?

Now I think back on all those trips where I witnessed companion riders standing on their footpegs while in motion to give their sore butts a rest.............

T.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
imported post

Good tip that many of us probably overlook although I throw my leg over the seat without standing on the peg.

·
Best looking member
3,107 Posts
imported post

Had this happen to me a few years ago some miles from home. I don't think standing up on the pegs is as serious, as you are distributing the weight over 2 pegs instead of 1. But it is something to look out for in a regular inspection.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
imported post

I agree that standing on them while riding would not cause it as much as mounting from the pegs, but I think the point is that the consequences of failure in that situation might be a little worse.

I'm checking my welds.

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
imported post

Not to appear insensitive tnoort, but how much do you weight?

I really doubt standing on a peg to mount would have that affect on the footpeg mount.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

I had the footpeg mount break off an old Suzuki 450 once, but I think it was crash damage, the bike had been down several times before I bought it. I had it welded back on. NOT something I would want to happen on a nice expensive bike, if the peg is welded to the frame, then it would effectively destroy the frame. It could be patched up like I did, but it would never be the same.

Something else to watch for, at least on the 1500, is the sidestand bracket. My boss had his break off his '93, which he bought with 600 miles on it, after several years.

As a matter of practice, I make it a habit NOT to stand on the pegs, unless I see something ahead like a pothole that I saw too late. I don't believe pegs were intended to actually support a persons full weight, though many disagree. I weigh 240 pounds, I am overweight, but only by about 20 pounds.

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

morram wrote:
Not to appear insensitive tnoort, but how much do you weight?

I really doubt standing on a peg to mount would have that affect on the footpeg mount.
Just knew someone would ask...............6' 4", size 16 feet, 36" inseam, 44" chest, 235 lbs............

Size came in handy at work.

Not offended............just knew someone would ask and I think the footpeg issue may be more widespread than many of us thought and I really do think it is a result of mounting your bike via the left footpeg. I do so as I suffer from arthritis and have had multiple hip replacements..........I suspect many others do the same - for similar reasons.

Point is, I never really considered that it might cause an issue and am glad that it was discovered safely and didn't result in an accident.

Point also is..........check your pegs!

T.

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Oregonwinger wrote:
like this one.
Exactly...............left peg again!

T.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,195 Posts
imported post

Tipping the bar at 275# with my boots on, I have always worried about a foot peg breaking while I am standing up to get the ache out of my legs...

The thought of a foot dragging the pavement at 75 mph is scary to me.

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
imported post

I will be checking mine. I, for one, has to stand in the peg to get on, That's what 30" inseam will do for you.:lash:

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

I don't always mount my bike by standing on the left peg, but usually dismount like that. I had the weld on my left peg break last year, when I was mounting the bike as described above. I was amazed to discover that Honda only uses two minor beads of weld there! :shock:

Dusty .... a 3 sided convert

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

AZgl1500 wrote:
The thought of a foot dragging the pavement at 75 mph is scary to me.
My thoughts exactly! Although my thoughts extended to someone standing on his/her pegs for butt relief and having their leg PLUNGE suddenly to the pavement at speed. As a retired paramedic the results of THAT happening are easily imagined.

T.

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

I read some time ago, that a guy stood on his pegs, left peg broke, and he ended up pushing daisies. I try to keep my feet inboard to do the partial stand, to absorb sudden dips, heaves, etc. But, it may be prudent to get those pegs inspected and re-welded, or at least another good bead applied by a good welder.

BTW, I've seen several shots of 1800 pegs breaking, also. Seems the mount isn't up to snuff on these.

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
imported post

LOL, not gonna happen to me. I throw a leg over the seat and do a little side hop towards the bike to sit.

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

I usually put the arch of my foot as close to the attatchment point as possible. Had a bicycle pedal break once....ohh that hurt! jimsjinx

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
imported post

I have the platforms instead fo pegs, any proublem with them?

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

On the LTD, or any other 1200, the pegs/floorboards shouldn't be a problem, because they bolt on, rather than being welded on. And the left one bolts to the removable frame section, so even if the stud broke off, it could be repaired without damaging the entire frame.

I thought only the first year models of the 1800 had problems with welds. If a frame breaks without the bike being crashed, something was sure done wrong.

·
Administrator
26,566 Posts
imported post

JerryH wrote:
I thought only the first year models of the 1800 had problems with welds. If a frame breaks without the bike being crashed, something was sure done wrong.
I may keep reading your posts in hopes that someday you will have something good to say about something.
There were not that many cracked frames and Honda did fix it. The only 1800 foot peg I have ever heard of breaking was mine and I hit it hard on a center line reflector.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.