Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

i do like the indian motorcycles they are nothing but class through and through i think they still make them or replicate them

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

peterbilt wrote:
i do like the indian motorcycles they are nothing but class through and through i think they still make them or replicate them
Ya, I hear that they still make them. Dont know if this is real or a replica. Maybe there is someone here that remembers them, or had one that could tell us if this is the Real McCoy. Looks like the real thing to me, but I also saw a URAL sidecar outfit there and thought it was from the '40's until the owner told me it was new!!

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

My uncle Bob and I restored his 1948 Chief. What a treasure! He still has it and rides it every now and again. Not an easy bike to operate. It can break your ankle if you kick it over, and you don't have the distributor advance correct. I never could get comfortable with twisting the left grip! Suicide shifter is also a trick you have to learn. We had it machined so we could run sealed bearings in the block. This allowed it to have the tranny,clutch, and engine run thier own lubrication. (gear oil,tranny fluid,oil) we put lead in the frame to level out the ride. They always leaned. Can't remember to which side. The tank was my job. Had to unsolder the tank, to get to the oil resivoir inside. Had to use 2 different temp. solders to do it. The oil res. solder was hotter than the tank solder. So you don't "unsolder" the oil res., while assembling the tank sides. Got er dun, though! I applied the tank indian head decals over Porsche red, and cleared it till the decal line was gone. I'll try to find the only pic I have. jimsjinx

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
imported post

Yeah I think this is the real thing, if its a replica someone went through a lot of trouble finding those brakes.......Jim I wanting to say it was heavier on the kick starter side....So it had a tendency to lean to the right....:?....Even that 54 I owed for a month had that right lean to it....OH yeah I wore several bandages on my leg from my foot slipping off that kick starter.....And one trip over the handle bars.....:shock:....I don't know about that tail pipe???...Mine went straight out the back no rise to it....

Did anyone else notice the Black Naked Gold Wing setting on the right side of that picture?????...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.