Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
agent provocateur
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

This one goes out to all you fans of all sorts of engine treatment goop's that you think works and so on. I will not tell you what you use and what NOT to use, this is for information purposes ONLY! In the end...its up to you.

The Sea Foam Motor Treatment MSDS:

Pale Oil ( a very light oil like sewing machine oil )
64742-54-7
40 - 60%

Naphtha ( Camping stove fuel also sometimes called "white gas" )
64742-49-0
25 - 35%

IPA ( Isopropyl alcohol also known as rubbing alcohol )
67-63-0
10 - 20%

Marvel Mystery Oil MSDS

Naphthenic Hydrocarbons
64742-52-5
70 – 80%

Mineral Spirits
08052-41-3
20 – 30%

Chlorinated Hydrocarbons
00095-50-1
0 – 1%

·
Administrator
27,889 Posts
Are we doing a little trolling here? :notrolls: Or just looking to pick a fight?

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Cabin Fever maybe?

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
Deer alerts, tires, and oil OH MY!!:ROFL::popcorn:

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
This one goes out to all you fans of all sorts of engine treatment goop's that you think works and so on. I will not tell you what you use and what NOT to use, this is for information purposes ONLY! In the end...its up to you.

64742-54-7
40 - 60%

64742-49-0
25 - 35%

67-63-0
10 - 20%

Marvel Mystery Oil MSDS

Naphthenic Hydrocarbons
64742-52-5
70 – 80%

Mineral Spirits
08052-41-3
20 – 30%

Chlorinated Hydrocarbons
00095-50-1
0 – 1%
Welcome to the forum.

I'd suggest searching the thousands of posts about the use of aforementioned "goops" and forum members experiences with them.:)

Hobie

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
Cabin Fever maybe?
Yep PMS.
It's been almost two weeks of freezing at night and just above freezing in the afternoons.
Add a little moisture, liquid or crystal each day and riding opportunities are few.

·
Senior Smart Aleck
1,599 Posts
:popcorn:

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,275 Posts
I am sure it was meant as an innocent 'FYI'
Or not.

·
agent provocateur
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am sure it was meant as an innocent 'FYI'
Or not.
It was meant as NOTHING more then info so that when people buy that stuff...then they will really know whats in it. As I stated its FOR INFO USE only. However if some people wish to get all bent over it...well what can I do about that. So yes it was meant as innocent... FYI.

In future maybe what I will do when I find a useful tip is to not share it...that way no one will get bent if they hear something they do not like...or don't want to hear.

·
Administrator
27,889 Posts

0 – 1%
This just comes across as controversial the way I read it. I and several others have seen some great results from using these treatments and they certainly won't hurt anything when used as directed. I even made my own batch of seafoam using a slightly different formula someone else posted a few years ago.

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
....In future maybe what I will do when I find a useful tip is to not share it...that way no one will get bent if they hear something they do not like...or don't want to hear.
There is lots of very usefull information that some members here just don't want to have posted, even when its posted in a helpfull manner. I guess the less they see the potentially negitive sides of their opinions the better they sleep at night.

Bill

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
Hey Nova! I think they are a kiddin'ya. I for one thank you for the list. I may try to make my own SeaFoam!!. I always knew it was simple stuff in that additive, but I never knew what!!!! jimsjinx:claps:

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
It was meant as NOTHING more then info so that when people buy that stuff...then they will really know whats in it. As I stated its FOR INFO USE only. However if some people wish to get all bent over it...well what can I do about that. So yes it was meant as innocent... FYI.

In future maybe what I will do when I find a useful tip is to not share it...that way no one will get bent if they hear something they do not like...or don't want to hear.
For you, this may be a good idea.

:)

·
Premium Member
1,458 Posts

64742-54-7
40 - 60%

64742-49-0
25 - 35%

67-63-0
10 - 20%

Marvel Mystery Oil MSDS

Naphthenic Hydrocarbons
64742-52-5
70 – 80%

Mineral Spirits
08052-41-3
20 – 30%

Chlorinated Hydrocarbons
00095-50-1
0 – 1%

yes, isn't it wonderful what a mixture of oil, paint thinner and alcohol will do to clean up a fuel system.:bow:

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
Thanks for restoring my faith in mankind... You did a most eloquent job of it. :claps:

Thank you. Being straightforward and honest is the least I can do to be helpful.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
I didn't find the original post offensive, actually we've had the composition of several types of 'miracle-in-a-can' posted over the years here. I don't think it was fair to call the poster a troll. It did seem to be meant as informative not combative to me.
Some of us have had good results with Sea Foam and Marvel Mystery Oil over the years. I'm not much of a believer in most additives but I definitely have found Sea Foam useful at times. The solvents in the stuff took care of sticky lifters in a couple of vehicles I've owned and a dose every year or so stopped a slightly lumpy idle in my 1500. Considering that these products have been on the market for around 70 years odds are some folks get a benefit from them. At least they do more than magnets on the fuel line or those little plates with the whirligig to mount under your carburetor.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,275 Posts
Regardless, I will probably still dump a can in the beast every year. Well, 1/2 a can anyway.
Heck, even though some say oil additives are for the birds, I have been known to use a couple in various rigs over the years and never had a poblem. If it makes me feel better, who cares.
Post away, NOVA!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.