Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello all,

I just purchased a 1978 Gold Wing for my son. He is only one year older than the bike! I believe I got a fair price, paying $1,200 for it. It starts right up with no hesitation once choked when cold. It does need some work, as the rear brake won't hold fluid, it needs a rear tire, and it runs way too rich. Plus it has the wrong throttle cable on it, as I have to turn a half revolution before it even starts to open the throttle plates! It appears that the previous owner (before the "kid" that I bought it from) has no respect for fine equipment. Wiring appears pretty abused, even exposed wire to lights in some places. He had even taken the mufflers off and put on a pair of straight pipes (which the kid then replaced with mufflers). But this is all things to be expected at this price. The engine appears to run clean, all the gauges work, as well as the lights.

My goal is to get my son involved in doing repairs and giving this bike a little TLC and end up with a dependable and good looking ride. And all on a nasty budget! So I'm hoping for technical and especially moral support to get this project finished and learn some things along the way. I personally ride a Silver Wing, which I water regularly, in the hope that it may grow up to be a Gold Wing! Haven't noticed any changes yet, but there is always hope!

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,259 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum, Syberwizard, from N.W. Missouri! I've stayed there at your Hampton Inn many times.

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
imported post

Welcome to this Great Site!

Pull up a chair and join on in!

Ride Safe, Ray

:waving:

·
Premium Member
6,870 Posts
imported post

Welcome from the
Steve Saunder's GOLDWING FORUM

A Big Welcome FromTEXAS

·
Premium Member
20,585 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the Forum from Kansas! :waving:

That is awesome to have a project that you and your son can do together! :cool:

I think it's my dream to restore a 1000 to original one day too! :cooldevil:

Best of luck, and treasure the time you get to spend with your son!! :)

·
Pops
4,519 Posts
imported post

Hello and welcome from Arizona.

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
imported post

Hello from N.C. the water thing doesn't work. I've tried to get my 4-packs to grow into 6-packs (like GL1800). Good luck enjoy the build.

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

Welcome from Southern California, I'm sure you will have lots of fun helping your son, or perhaps you son helping you, whatever the case you have come to the right place.

·
Premium Member
1,723 Posts
imported post

Welcome SyberWizard much info here to read throgh under the search function. I'd suggest downoloading a service manual also. Good luck with the project.:cool:

·
Premium Member
5,223 Posts
imported post

:12blue:Welcome from the HOOSIER state:1000red:

·
Premium Member
2,480 Posts
imported post

Hi....welcome from the Netherlands!!!:banana:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status