Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So spring is coming up and one of my bikes needs to go.

I have an 1982 GL1100 Interstate 62,000 miles that I have converted to a Standard wing. It starts and runs as it should, and is extremely reliable. Reliability was my #1 priority, followed by safety. I ride this bike on the rural Kentucky roads and get pretty far from civilization.

I purchased this bike several years ago from the son-in-law of the original owner. I wish I had been around when the original owner sold it! The son-in-law kept it outside and wasn't much of a mechanic. The engine chrome is not in great shape and the engine paint shows it's age.

Needless to say it needed a great deal of work and I have had a great time going through everything to turn it into very dependable transportation.

I can make a big list of everything that was done but if you work on GL1100's, you can imagine the list. Carbs, head gaskets, rebuilt rear shocks, tires, typical electrical issues, rebuilt starter, brakes, fuel pump, fork seals, timing belts...

The upgrades include Progressive springs front and rear, custom seat (my work), chrome front fender, chrome rear fender, chrome light bucket, Honda turn signals and I have the parts to replace the coils but why fix it if it ain't broke.

I have three GL1100's and you can see some of my posts on repairs from a blow-by-blow on rear shock rebuilds to coil upgrade. (posts by willwilly) You can get an idea of the type of work I do.

The picture of the bike is from last summer, I have added the GL1100 chrome radiator skirts, a small clear windscreen just to cut some of the air from the chest, and a new standard tank and side panels in brown. I'll take some new pictures when the weather starts cooperating!

I wanted to put the bike up for sale on this site first at my lowest price. I would like to see it go to someone that likes these bikes and will enjoy it.

$2000 which will cover the money I have in the bike, certainly not the time. I got that back by getting to ride it.

Don't hesitate to ask questions. You can certainly ride this bike home.

Thanks for looking
William

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi there, hope you dont mind me hijacking the thread, but I suppose you could treat this as a bump!

I'm interested in the conversion to chrome mudguards...what was necessary, what model provided the source parts?

Thanks, Greg

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No worries Greg. I used the rear chrome fender from a GL1000 and the front chrome fender from a Honda 750 shadow. both need to be altered to fit. The rear you can use the same mounting holes but the front part will need to be cut to fit. The front I made adapters from pieces of aluminum that go between the fender and the forks.

I did see a gentlemans front fender from another Honda model that was a direct fit but I didn't get what bike he took it from and I also didn't like that look.

Hope this helps.
William

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.